I Forge Iron

Is there anything different between these saws?

There are subtle differences--some you might not see unless you disassemble a saw.  For example, gussets in more fragile casting areas might not be there in one saw vs another.  The casting might be just a hair thicker which can make a big difference in strength.  The gearbox of one brand might have more sand in it than the next (gearbox is usually only on the larger saws but I was making a point).

That's why you stick with a brand that has at least some small reputation to uphold.  It might not be much better but at least they have a reason to back their products...a little.

Most will need "repairs" right out of the box. Those vary from minor tweaks to replacing missing screws but always seem to be there.  They are never square and one might be an easy adjust while the next is so far off it never will cut right no matter how hard you monkey with it.

HF is about the worst place to get anything mechanical.  I was at an auction about a year ago that was nothing but HF failures--the drop out rates are so high on their imports that they test a couple in a crate and sell off the whole crate bulk if too many fail.  Air tools were one of their worst but other stuff fared not much better.  

If you're set on the low end 4 x 6, I'd get a grizzly or Jet (or a couple of other brands which have some "support").  However, I'd strongly recommend saving up for alternatives--you can even get a good milwaukee porta-band used (very common at pawn shops) for about the same price or less as the chinese junk and it'll be a MUCH better saw.  Those 4 x 6 barely qualify as saws...although some people do get good service from them so it's just my opinion.

Toss out the cheap legs and build something better as your first project.

Good old power hack saws come up used quite often also.  They're slow and old-school but do a remarkably good job, especially on larger solids.

1 hour ago, Kozzy said:

However, I'd strongly recommend saving up for alternatives--you can even get a good milwaukee porta-band used (very common at pawn shops) for about the same price or less as the chinese junk and it'll be a MUCH better saw.  

I had discounted the porta-band.  Just assumed the fixed unportable nature of the 4x6s made them more sturdy, thus more likely to cut straight.  I did see that Grizzly has a portable bandsaw that comes with a table.  I assume a table could be manufactured for the Milwaukee.  My goal is a square cut.

1 hour ago, natenaaron said:

I had discounted the porta-band.  Just assumed the fixed unportable nature of the 4x6s made them more sturdy, thus more likely to cut straight.  I did see that Grizzly has a portable bandsaw that comes with a table.  I assume a table could be manufactured for the Milwaukee.  My goal is a square cut.

Then buy a used Kalamazoo, Johnson or Wells saw.

If you must buy the Taiwan crap plan on leaning how to tweak saws if you want square cuts.

At least the JET  (Japan electric tool) has some quality to stand on.

The portable Bandsaw, mounted vertical in a stand and at a height so old mans eyes can see what you are doing. Switch wired on, use a foot switch to control it, then your hands are free.

Every Shop should have a couple, in different areas. They work wonderful!!

Neil

No idea about Harbor Freight, from my understanding they buy from the lowest bidder and accept bids regularly. I have a 7" x 14" Jet Vertical Horizontal and it's one of my most used pieces of equipment, I got it about 19 years ago.

Frosty The Lucky.

From what I see. 

A reputable company designs a saw. They outsource it to be manufactured in China. The factory in China then produces that casting for anyone that wants to buy it. I see no difenence in a small jet bandsaw then a harborfrieght band saw. They are both being made in China by the same factory. Identical from what I see with quality control being the only suspect.

When your talking about these small bandsaws I do think they are all about the same quality. 

I personally started cheap and over time ended up with a nice Ellis. I still use that cheapo for this and that and just keep a handful of those $12 harbor freight blades for whatever I don't want to cut on one of my good saws. I have it mounted on a pull out at the end of a bench. It can be used vertically for a quick cut or pulled out for horizontal cutting. 

While your at harbor freight check out the throatless shear. It is an exact clone of my Beverly b1 at a fraction of the price. 

For the most part I like to think the sweet taste of quality will far outlast the bitter taste of price. Shruggg it's a new world and China makes the same product for many makers. If it's not old or high end it probably doesn't matter. 

• 1 month later...

I have the HF portable band saw and one Frosty told me what I was doing wrong in my blade suggestion I have had not problem cutting hard steel such as forklift forks. That having been said the HF cheapo saw with a good blade NOT from HF can cut BUT and this is a big but:

They took off the trigger locking button so you need to keep your finger on the trigger at all times. In the past people have mounted them to a bench to use as a small mounted saw. The took off the plate covering the band so you and your clothing is always a few inches away from reliving one of the "shop safety and You" videos.A good tool has more copper such as thicker wires and winding on the motor, better bearings and will last longer. 

Any time you get a HF or other cheap tool you need to know this $100 (something) is not the same as the $500 (something). That being said as a hobbyist I have not managed to use that many HF tools to the point the magic blue smoke escapes and the tool stops working. If you get a HF tool that has moving parts I would get the 2 year warranty because with the exception of the change they made to the generator warranties they mean the tool WILL last two years or you will get a new one.      

My 2/100 of $1.00.   

12 hours ago, eseemann said:

If you get a HF tool that has moving parts I would get the 2 year warranty because with the exception of the change they made to the generator warranties they mean the tool WILL last two years or you will get a new one.  

Save all your paperwork, and put a note on your calendar for the two-year anniversary.

you can get all kinds of name brand portaband saws for under 70 bucks at the swap meets....

I picked up a milwaukee like this one (not the same, just a pic of one like it) for 50 bucks with box etc.... and there was another portaband heavy duty all metal 2 speed for 65 bucks...this was last week...I see them all the time...Just go early!

s-l1600.jpg