I Forge Iron

Quicky for a friend

So a friend from Canada was down and over a couple beverages he wanted a gnarly looking dragon head hood ornament. At first I was reluctant but soon got into it so in an hour with some input from him we made this. Unfortunately my instincts were right to want to hold off as when we were mounting it it fell while enlarging an existing hole to bolt it on and smashed his windshield delaying his trip home by 2 to 3 days while waiting on a new windshield but he loves it and also now has a new windshield. 

So much for quick. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aus, I'm not sure on the laws here in the States or in Canada are about that. I might have to look into that. 

Thanks Pete. 

Matto, I didn't get any pictures of it on the hood. i will get him to send me some and I'll post them.

thanks Freddy, it's at least a pound or two but I never weighed it. 

Short story on hood ornaments....once in my younger days we were rabbit hunting in the country.  One guy decided to position himself on the front of the hood on an old car that had a hood ornament in the form of an airplane.  He was straddling the nose of the hood, feet on the front bumper.  Someone yelled "rabbit!!!"  The driver hit the brakes...you can picture what happened next.  Fast trip to the ER to sew up his inner thighs and luckily he escaped with all his private parts.....

Ouch!  Impaled by a plane. Sounds like one lucky rabbit tho.

Wouldnt want to be sitting behind this one. 

Aus, I've been looking up laws at least here in Pennsylvania and couldn't find anything in general laws but this in the inspection laws. Not sure if it would fit the bill. 

image.jpg

7 hours ago, arkie said:

Short story on hood ornaments....once in my younger days we were rabbit hunting in the country.  One guy decided to position himself on the front of the hood on an old car that had a hood ornament in the form of an airplane.  He was straddling the nose of the hood, feet on the front bumper.  Someone yelled "rabbit!!!"  The driver hit the brakes...you can picture what happened next.  Fast trip to the ER to sew up his inner thighs and luckily he escaped with all his private parts.....

Do you remember what make and year had the airplane as an ornament?  Was it maybe even like this?  Great uncle had this amongst his collection of tools and odds and ends.  Always wondered what it had come off.

DSC02761.JPGDSC02762.JPG

Not the only storey like that; often with a sadder ending.  Alcohol and hunting makes for some BAD mistakes!

google airplane hood ornament and look at more images to see a bunch and if you click on one you can usually get close to the make and model year.

My favorite hood ornament tends to be the leaping jaguars...

Thought the pointy bit may be a problem with "Dangerous projections" on the bonnet (Hood),

Anvil hood mascot -.jpg

so mounted it sideways, and obscured the view,

Anvil bonnet mascot.jpg

so moved it back a bit, should be OK here!

Anvil on Roof.JPG

No doubt someone will advise me if its OK or not there.