I Forge Iron

Quicky for a friend

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arkie my dad has a similar story from when he was at tech school.  The tech school in Hastings was in the old ammo factory and storage yard.  It was miles of dirt covered bunkers for storage of ammo and equipment in World War One and two.  There were rail tracks going around all of them.  After class dad and his buddies would get into dads 56 Chevy and head for the tracks.  He said they would turn on to the tracks and get lined up square on them then let some of the air out of the tires to hug the track and they would go rabbit hunting for the afternoon driving in and out around the dirt bunkers.  He still thinks it is amazing how well a 56 Chevy fit on the tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

in my experience people are more careful when it's decorated that way.   I once had my wife use a steel brush and a dull rusty red brown ink to do a very drippy "Don't Touch" sign for a knife table, I placed a fake finger with the end deckled and dripping with the ink at the bottom of the sign and that was the FIRST TIME people actually paid attention to my sign!

• 2 weeks later...

Making rams for .......Dodge trucks............horse heads. and putting a ring  around the whole thing was something they did on the old hood ornaments. I saw an amazing oldy of a flying duck on a hood and all the edges were rounded off. Many were conceptual ideas of birds and airplan with a lockinges with coloured plastic inserts. An important thought how to make them vandal proof, screwed from the inside with a locking hood.

• 2 weeks later...

Could go full crazy and not only use the spring and contact points, but also add propane and use the contacts for an ignitor and propane switch, Try to pull it off and it breaths fire.  But we all know how the legal system is. *sigh* 

I like the flame thrower idea Das, especially if you can get enough DC current to stick them to the hood ornament while they roast.

I love the dragon's head but I'm actually checking back in to mention how much I LOVE the subject. "Quicky for a Friend" brings something other than a hood ornament to mind every time I see it. I don't check in so it'll stay in my "Unread" file and come up every time I check Iforge.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well it was a quicky as in we pushed to get it done in one evening. It was pretty wild, all the ideas and picking through scrap. Deffinately a fun time. Bouncing ideas and yay and neighing them. Must have had a pile 4 times as large as the final product laying around. :) 

all in fun and good times till we went to bolt it up. That's when we had to call it a night. Ugh. Everything worked out in the end.