I Forge Iron

Quad State 2016

I've searched but I haven't located any good info. I'm trying to figure out what sort of demos etc as well as what is available as far as camping / hotels for Quad State.

I've been thinking of trying to combine a trip out to visit friends out in Wisconsin /Illinois with Quad State this year. I'm looking to see what demos etc there might be and on what days, so I can do a bit of planning. I'm trying to decide if it works better to hit Quad state on the way out to visit them, or on the way back. I figure the 1st day at Quad State is the best time to  hunt for goodies tailgating. If I go out to see the friends early, Friday at Quad state is easy. If I go to Quad State 1st, I'd either need to leave early to see friends, or plan to stay all three days and work that stay into the costs if this makes sense.

In theory I'd want to see my friends on at least one day over a week end so other people out there I know can come when they are off work. I'd then spend a few other days with them forging/welding. I'm not sure if finances will allow that much time however if I have to figure in all three days the weekend before or after to make Quad State work.

Anyone have a link that has more info besides the one on SOFA's site that just lists the dates ? I remember finding one  site that had the info from last years event but I can't locate it any longer so they may have pulled it down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thump, thump, thump.... Is this thing on? Anyone out there?

Any help on this would be appreciated, even from those who have attended in the past but don't have any good current links or info. I'm trying to pin down travel dates and make plans and I need to let others know what my plans are. My guess is I'll probably get a hotel vs camping since by the time I buy a new tent etc, it will be just as expensive as a hotel. I'll have too much gear in the bed of the truck to camp in it like I have in the past. How difficult is parking and getting on and off site? How far is parking from the tailgating area so I have an idea how far I have to lug my loot?

I am positive there will be plenty of people there Tuesday Sept 20 even tho official start isnt til Friday 23.  parking is very close I parked 10 to 15 foot away. easy access on/off site which is a couple hundred yards north of the town proper.

Thanks Steve. I hadn't expected people to show up so early. I was thinking early Thursday people would start showing up. I doubt I'll show up that early, but I may think harder about trying to make it early on Thursday vs later. The big question being do I want to add the additional nights stay. It might pay to drive Wednesday vs Thursday and if I get tired I can always grab a hotel along the way some where if I don't make it the whole way. Then again there's always the excuse to stop at Cabelas either out in Hamburg pa or the one in Wheeling WV.:P

Anything much going on those early days or is if mostly people BSing and talking to friends they don't get to see too often?

I have been to QS the last 4 years.  Once on Tuesday, the rest arrival on Wednesday.  This year will be Tuesday again.  Early arrivals are always checking out new loads as they arrive.  Some buying and selling does happen.  A lot of BS and catching up with old friends happens too.  There are no reserved spaces for tailgating or camping,  so it is first come, first serve.  Tailgating picks up all week as new people arrive.  The most active days are Friday and Saturday.

The best thing about the tailgating area is that there is enough room for everyone.  Even those that just come in for one day on Friday or Saturday can always find a place to park and sell, even if that means just opening your car trunk.

I stay in a local motel.  My camping days are long behind me.  I usually pick up a sandwich at Panera, and keep it in a cooler with ice from the motel, for lunch.  Lots of places for dinner near the motels.

I do plan to be there THIS YEAR! . Never have I in the past. I'm busy building things,,,,smithing etc. Shame on me. Who is going to set-up shop there/display or a tent to sell items. I'd like to look up folk when there. I will attend Friday the 23rd. as of this time.

Looks like three hour drive from what I recall as I often visit the Write Pat AF  Museum in Dayton.

I'm planning on being there. I've been too busy to get anything together to table with but I plan on raiding all the tailgates until the truck is filled to capacity. 

Look for the 6'-2" "biker looking person" with face tattoos. I shouldn't be too hard to spot. I'm nicer than I look. Say hello! 

5 minutes ago, Crazy Ivan said:

I'm planning on being there. I've been too busy to get anything together to table with but I plan on raiding all the tailgates until the truck is filled to capacity. 

Look for the 6'-2" "biker looking person" with face tattoos. I shouldn't be too hard to spot. I'm nicer than I look. Say hello! 

Lol  you are easy to spot, and you are a good guy.

I don't entirely know what to expect at QS but I plan on trying to make it. If I do I'll be prepared for camping out. 

what to expect?  about 1000  blacksmiths congregating on an old county fair site.  Multiple demos going on simultaneously in different buildings.  Massive tailgating, (one year when gas was cheap I counted a dozen powerhammers for sale on site!).  I haven't read the rules this year but traditionally paying to attend allowed you to tailgate for no extra fee---expect a lot of "clean the shop" stuff and things on tarps and tables with a money can by them. (I remember one year I had to leave early and as I was pulling out there was a fellow running across the parking lot waving money at me as he hadn't the change when he picked something up off my tarp; but he wasn't going to let me get away without  getting paid either.)

Folks show up earlier in the week just to get a jump on the tailgating.  I plan to get there Thursday and be ready for the official start on Friday.  Some folks cut their prices right before they leave---but no telling when they will leave.

Usually a great display in a well lit building.  Dealers selling stuff you've only seen in a catalog.  LOTS of hand waving going on.  Be there or be a rectilinear solid with all sides composed of equal lengths and widths!

Yup there is a field on the fairgrounds were everything from puptents to massive RV's will be set up  It's adjacent/part of the tailgating area and one of the main demo buildings.  If you need your personal space you can just set up farther away.  My current plan is to throw a mattress in the back of the minivan and back it into a conduit supported "tent"  My wife and I did it that way last time with good results.

I'd like to pay close attention to the hammers guys are using. I can only imagine it is a "I swing a bigger hammer than you" competition as per talk with local/simple folk who focus not on what one forges but rather the size of hammer. always the hammer.

3 hours ago, SReynolds said:

I'd like to pay close attention to the hammers guys are using. I can only imagine it is a "I swing a bigger hammer than you" competition as per talk with local/simple folk who focus not on what one forges but rather the size of hammer. always the hammer.

Hmmm...maybe I should bring The Beast.

image.jpg

ever notice when you buy a real big used hammer, that there be evidence it was once employed as an "anvil"? 

speaking of anvils, I hope to see a variety while there. The local Farrier supply has quite a collection, but only one double horn. You just don't see them about. Everything is London with a farrier mod like clip horn or double pritchel hole.

Depends on who brings what; but I've been there a year where one fellow brought a bunch of old Austrian anvils over for sale.

I've seen a bunch of sledges where the sides show evidence of use with a cold chisel.  I bought a 16# head at the fleamarket to use as a demo anvil; currently holding a closeline taut...I married my wife to get her 17# cross peen sledge, (32 years Friday...neither the marriage nor the sledge has worn out!)