I Forge Iron

Neck knife

Just now, Frosty said:

That wasn't a horrible description or explanation. Do it again and be horrible about it! I'll wait. (tap tap tap.) :P 

Not a bad looking blade. How's it feel in your hand?

Frosty The Lucky.

Feels decent, It's a bit small, it would be a great boys starter knife. On the next one I'm to make the scroll open so your finger can slip in.

Keep it always, use it to scale the next one for a better feel. I'm not a bladesmith guy but I make tools, first ones almost always need some tweaking to get right keeping the firsts for comparison really helps.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just now, Frosty said:

Keep it always, use it to scale the next one for a better feel. I'm not a bladesmith guy but I make tools, first ones almost always need some tweaking to get right keeping the firsts for comparison really helps.

Frosty The Lucky.

I won't be a blade guy either, I want to make tools. haha, but yes, it will always be mine because it's my first knife.

As an 'old guy', I never try to discourage anyone making knives, and always try to encourage those just beginning the journey to the 'dark' side. Why it's called that, I don't know as I've been a blacksmith for the past 25 yrs and have fallen into the abyss...happily. The challenges can be monumental including one to understanding more metallurgy then would be normally associated with blacksmithing.

That being said, I think neck knives are a complete waste of time. I cannot think of one good reason for one to carry a knife around one's neck. Personal safety?...hmmm...probably not. Too easy to be disarmed and turned against the carrier.

Convenience? Probably not either. A sheath on the the belt will work just fine and not get in your face by flopping around.

This seems to me to be a trend that someone thought would be really 'cool'. I'm not there.

Those who carry, convince me.

John

Cody Lundien carries a knife around his neck.

I wouldn't try and take it from him :D

It looks fantastic. Especially for a first time. I could probably do a better job of making a much, much worse example :P

Nice job! I can imagine that scholarship is quite awesome too.

Yep, your a new smith, lol. TP has addressed that one a few times. Lol. 

Lets just say their isn't a lot in the historical record to support that opinion, and with iron so expensive at that time, the extra material would have made the smith more profit as a ships rivet.

that said they are still cool looking. 

• 1 month later...

The wearing of a neck knife is one of those things that is argued in bushcraft circles all the time. It is true, tucked in side your shirt it's near impossible to loose, it's also true that unless one chooses the lanyard well it's a hanging hazard. Their is a reason why dog tags are one break-away chains. Talk to a lighting shop and get an inch or two of pull chain and two ends. Then you can tie a knot in each end of your cordage and fit it in the chain ends. Best salution I know to mitigate the choke risk. It will still leave a mark but it's the best solution I can think of. 

On 6/2/2016 at 8:37 PM, gearhartironwerks said:

As an 'old guy', I never try to discourage anyone making knives, and always try to encourage those just beginning the journey to the 'dark' side. Why it's called that, I don't know as I've been a blacksmith for the past 25 yrs and have fallen into the abyss...happily. The challenges can be monumental including one to understanding more metallurgy then would be normally associated with blacksmithing.

That being said, I think neck knives are a complete waste of time. I cannot think of one good reason for one to carry a knife around one's neck. Personal safety?...hmmm...probably not. Too easy to be disarmed and turned against the carrier.

Convenience? Probably not either. A sheath on the the belt will work just fine and not get in your face by flopping around.

This seems to me to be a trend that someone thought would be really 'cool'. I'm not there.

Those who carry, convince me.

John

I also think neckers are somewhat tedious compared to other carry options but I read one plausible explaination. It was something to do with the possibility of falling through thin ice in the northern European countries. I don't know why it would be easier to get to on your neck than on your belt but I think its a traditional carry method in Sweden and Norway.

EJRailRoadTrack, I do like small knives and that's a very cool first knife.

About going through the ice. Depending on the size of the hole you might find yourself naked from the waste up, this isn't common but it happens. If it does you may not be able to reach down to your waste or boot top between your bunched clothes caught in your arm pits and shoulders, forcing yourself back under is committing suicide.

Another bit, you are NOT going to chop your way out with a knife what one is REALLY good for is an anchor point so you can drag yourself out. your fingernails aren't strong enough to drive into the ice and pull yourself out. I know I tried it once. :(

Fortunately the ATV (84+/-? Honda Odyssey) was sticking up high enough I was able to push off it and didn't get carried under the ice by Jim Creek. I still couldn't get my knees out but was able to reach in through my "Refridgeware" snow suit pocket and got my car keys out. Fished right past my pocket knife wasn't going to get it open as cold as I was getting.

So, from the perspective of experience going through the ice, and knowing others who have, I vote for a neck knife as a useful survival tool. However a person is going to have a heck of a time getting to one if their clothes are bunched up from their armpits to their nose.

Still, in a situation like that you are divinely inspired to do the impossible. If anyone is interested I can write about some of the other things to overcome having gone through ice on a RIVER. That happened some 30 years ago but it's burned into my memory solidly, I can still recall what the ice smelled like when I finally got my head above water.

Frosty The Lucky.

On June 1, 2016 at 6:14 PM, EJRailRoadTrack said:

I won't be a blade guy either, I want to make tools. haha, but yes, it will always be mine because it's my first knife.

Thats what we all thought! The hook is set.

OFAL! I did flat line a couple times on the helicopter on the way to the hospital last time. I AM a zombie, YECH!  I HATE zombie stories, movies, . . . anythings and here I is one.

Frombie, Zomsty or . . . ? AIEEEEEeeeee!

Thank you so very, VERY MUCH guys!

Frosty the not dead.