Frosty

Here is my final Character set up and gear listing:

Name: Brandon Zwicker

Height 6'1

Weight: 210 lbs

Hair: Crew Cut black hair

Eyes: Hazel

Brief Backstory:

Brandon grew up on the east coast of Nova Scotia Canada. He enlisted in the Canadian Forces at the age of 20. After 1 year of basic and 2 years of service time working on aircraft at CFB Cold Lake he decided on a vacation.

Brandon was able to find an online social gathering that was setting up an unguided hunting trip in Alaska and decided it would be a lot of fun and a chance to get away from civilization for a while. With the click of a mouse and a credit card payment he signed up for the trip and went to the range with his trusty rifles for some final checks.

Basic Equipment and EDC: Brandon always has a 550 paracord Wrap bracelet on his right wrist with a Woven in Mini Compass. The buckle on it is a mini Fire Striker. He wears composite toe and Heel 6 inch Dakota hiking boots with the laces swapped for 550 paracord. On his left wrist he keeps his trusted 5.11 Field Ops watch. Strapped to his right hip is his Gerber LMF infantry blade in Coyote. It is attached to his belt which is a Blackhawk CQB Riggers belt. On the back of his belt he generally carries a pouch for a set of handcuffs and a pouch for a single pair of Nitrile medical gloves.

For His firearms (If for the hunting trip) Brandon has a Tikka T3 Black Polymer chambered in .300 Win. Mag. with a US Optics ST-10 10 x 44 Scope. He also carries a Beretta PX4 Storm chambered in 9mm for dealing with Coyotes and smaller animals.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name: Ben Frank

Height 5' 11''

Weight: 140 lbs

Hair: Dirty Blonde hair, parted in the middle

Eyes: Hazel

Brief Backstory:

Ben just graduated high school and is setting out to become an engineer in college. He lives in Main and isn't big into hunting. He likes to hike alot though, so has some idea on wilderness survival. He has always been into making things (hence wanting to be an engineer) and has taken up blacksmithing last year. He is still a novice, but knows his way a bit around a forge. He decided to take a break year after college, and his friend recommended he take a hunting trip to Alaska. So here he is

Basic Equipment and EDC: Ben is relatively unprepared for being stuck out in the wilderness. He has a safety whistle that has a compass and a waterproof compartment with matches in it that he carries around his neck. He brought with him his EDC, an Ontario Rat 4 folding knife. And for a firearm he brought a 30-06 he borrowed form his dad. 

Dark,

Experienced travelers,(in the Yukon, Northwest territories, Nunavut and the northern top of most provinces), carry a knife with them at all times. Especially in their tent. The blade is at hand if and when a bear enters the front door of the tent. The occupant quickly slashes the back wall, bails out, and runs like the wind to get out of the situation. The maneuver saves the occupant from becoming a bear snack.

Hope he has a good time.

SLAG.

3 hours ago, SLAG said:

Dark,

Experienced travelers,(in the Yukon, Northwest territories, Nunavut and the northern top of most provinces), carry a knife with them at all times. Especially in their tent. The blade is at hand if and when a bear enters the front door of the tent. The occupant quickly slashes the back wall, bails out, and runs like the wind to get out of the situation. The maneuver saves the occupant from becoming a bear snack.

Hope he has a good time.

SLAG.

Are you playing Slag, have you generated a character? This is the kind of advice an experienced woodsman would give city folk while chatting in whittier before the boat shoves off.

We have 3  votes for hunting trip and I think 4 players.

Frostig Den Arbitus.

Shall I generate a character for you Das? I won't give you a Gilligan. It makes play easier to have someone you can pretend to be, honest.

well I can come up with some stuff. sorry havnt been meaning to puts about.

Name: Maxwell Luckner

Height: 6'2"

weight: 220lbs

Hair: brown 

eyes: grey

little about him:

lives in Pennsylvania. Auto mechanic thats good at figuring out problems. has a tool buying obsession, loves functional antiques and is 3 years down the path of hobby blacksmithing. loves all kinds of recreations outdoors since being a boyscout. avid camper, fisherman. never gets much time to hunt so this trip sounded fun since he's never been to Alaska. reads books on wild edibles but has only a little field experience in it. pretty quiet, easy going and mostly cool headed. anything else?

outfitted with: quality hunting clothing and boots, hat etc. he bought for the trip after researching conditions. edc is a bic lighter (since he's a smoker) trusty boyscout multifunction  pocket knife, chapstick, locking folder knife in back pocket, camp/hunting fix blade on the belt that always has a ferro rod fire starter with it. small quality firstaid kit, always carries a 20' wrap of bankline when he's going in the outdoors and a stainless water bottle in a pouch with a small water filter that attaches to his belt. also brings a poncho that he keeps in hes cargo pocket in his pants. cell phone of course. and a back pack with other supplies like freeze dried food and snacks and some additional stuff which i wont bother mentioning because i'm sure i'd get separated from that at least :) usually carry a small machete with additional fire striker on it when i go out but that'll probably get lost too. rifle is a 30-06 with a 4-16x50 scope he finally bought and sighted in. 

need more detail Frostig? :)

Mr. Frosty,

Thank you for your kind invitation. But I will have to respectfully decline Doctor's orders.

My dermatologist's reaction was "Are you crazy!!!". My wife's gynecologist concurred. Neither of them has any sense of humor. But they MUST be obeyed!

Has anyone packed half gram sachets of rotenone. One of these will suffice for a large pond or huge tide pool of fish. It should yield dinner and for the next 2 or 3 weeks. (smoke them to preserve the snacks). This method avoids the real labor of searching for bait and priming the hooks, and time expended fishing.

Regards fellas, and have fun with the game.    SLAG.

1 hour ago, SLAG said:

Mr. Frosty,

Thank you for your kind invitation. But I will have to respectfully decline Doctor's orders.

My dermatologist's reaction was "Are you crazy!!!". My wife's gynecologist concurred. Neither of them has any sense of humor. But they MUST be obeyed!

Has anyone packed half gram sachets of rotenone. One of these will suffice for a large pond or huge tide pool of fish. It should yield dinner and for the next 2 or 3 weeks. (smoke them to preserve the snacks). This method avoids the real labor of searching for bait and priming the hooks, and time expended fishing.

Regards fellas, and have fun with the game.    SLAG.

No problem I understand obeying the master of the house. ;) Maybe another game.

If you're not playing I have to respectfully ask you to stop telling city guys what to carry or do in the bush. Unless you're playing your character can't communicate with them in the game you don't exist. To stay within the spirit of RPG I as GM will have to disallow any suggestion of yours they take. I thought I laid it out as a game rule but wasn't clear, I just went back and looked. I rambled about it and I should've laid it out as a game world rule.

Think of it like playing cards and having people strolling through and making suggestions.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Slag this kind of game is new to a lot of folk on Iforge, frankly a whole new thing for Iforge. RPG "gaming" is a culture and has customs of it's own and I'm going to see if we can get it integrated as a learning tool here.

Ben's logged in MDN, good playable looking character.

We'll be getting into character soon and the characters, NPCs (Non Player Characters) included don't know what's planned, they're just going on a hunting trip. Except experienced outdoor types nobody is thinking about shipwrecks, pirates, etc. As GM I'll be disallowing some items a normal character wouldn't think of bringing. Except if you can convince me the CHARACTER would have it not YOU.

Does that make sense? This is a form of improvisational theater. Pretending to be whatever the module outlines is the name of the game.

You'll also get tuned in to Alaska a bit in Whittier talking to the guide service. They'll recommend changes in your gear as appropriate and supply much of the standard equipment. For example: Skiff, camp, tents, cook gear, food, medical kit. camp chairs, table, etc.

Your EDC and hunting gear is yours to bring though an Alaskan guide service can outfit you if you walk in the door in office clothes so if something you bring isn't going to do it, the service has a proper replacement available.

This may sound too easy but it's normal operations for a guide service.

Okay. As of now we have 3 players in the book, we need one more for minimum party.

Odblacksmith, are you in? I'll be happy to generate a character for you if you'd like. Not a Gilligan, I promise. ;)

Charles? I know your plate is as full as a mortal man needs but a little light distraction perhaps?

Kaylee? If Charles can't join we could sure use another experienced gamer, most of the players haven't gamed before.

Frostig Den Arbitus.

I'm in frosty sorry to be so late!

Name:Bruno Mozek

Height:5ft6in

Weight:150lbs

An Immigrant who knows how to get things done in terrible conditions,who would never be caught going into the wilderness without being equipped and prepared.He packs a quality 2 1/4lb boys axe a machete as well as a 3lb hammer.Carrying the usual things (pocket knife,matches,and a small cooking pot)in a back pack and not being terribly familiar with hunting but familiar with the wilderness the others guide him towards what he will need for this trip.

While in Whitties Ben picks up some of the recommended camping gear, a dry bag, some food and water, a small two man tent, some paracord, a sleeping bag and a laminated map of the area. Oh, what time of year is it as well? Sorry If you've already mentioned it.

I'm in, give me an hour or two over coffee to set up the character. I am going some what easy on my self by "cheating" and modeling my character on myself and an old mentor of mine. It will keep me from thinking to hard as to staying in character (my personal skill set is extensive, and often has to be pared down for play).

meet Mr. Clinton Reed

65 years old

6'2" (6'4" in his white's packers)

190# (he certainly dosnt have my belly ;-)

blue eyes 

grey hair (with some black stubbornly holding on)

Clinton hales from Arizona, were her works as ranch hand and packer (tho he contracts with a few hunting guides he himself isn't one) is day job consists of packing salt and fencing materials in to maintain t he traps and tanks (traps set up around man made ponds or baited with salt is the best way to catch range cattle in the southwest, the traps remand open all year long except when it's time to sort the cattle). 

Clinton grew up around horses and cattle, but left to join army, after a short stent he returned home and worked a short time as a mechanic. But ended up gravitating back to his boy hood haunts. 

Now it's time for that "once in a lifetime" vacation. 

Excellent OD, Bruno is in the book.

Bruno makes our minimum party.

Charles joins the group!! Clinton is in the book!

Okay, that leave us to see if Kaylee joins up, I'll give it till Wednesday and kick it off Thursday.

I'll be more than happy to make space if you want to join in Thomas, Wednesday is the cut off day for joining. It's a one move a day game to keep things moving smoothly and give everybody tome to think. You might have spare time. Having Chuck in would be too cool.

This'll be good I'll have time to tweak a few things.

The PCs will fly into Anchorage International and take the train to Whittier. I have a die and will roll per player to see if you meet on the train. Otherwise you'll meet up at the charter office where you'll learn what's necessary to go on a hunt In Prince William Sound. Oh as an aside, it's hunting season, October in area 6D Montague Island. You can expect almost any kind of weather from 60's to wet heavy snow.

When you get to Whittier (Please feel free to Google earth, Mapquest or whatever to get a look at Whittier. Pick a motel, lounge, restaurant, etc. you'll be there one night at least. Everybody has to arrive and get geared up.

I'll explain the game outline before you get to Anchorage where the game starts. ;)

Frostig Den Arbitus.

Ahh! i guess i must have missed that part,I thought we were a crew of acquaintances on a hunting trip but you've put a lot of thought (plus your experience) into this so... yeah sounds like a lot of fun and extra variables.:DCant wait!

Bruno Mozek...

Also when i wrote up my character i was wanting him to be a bit of a mystery so if have to add in anything before the game starts just let me know.Example people mention things like watches and such if i need to add things like that or i "wont have them" or is it just a given that we have the basic things...i think im pecking to far into the story sorry.we got til wed/thurs so any required info please let me know.

Edited by odblacksmith
Additional question to DM Frostig

18 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

my connectivity stops Tuesday Evening till the following Monday evening;   Going to spend time with family...

Chuck Fisher-Norris would have been fun though; but quiet very quiet!

There's always next game if Glenn doesn't 86 us all for this one. :o Heck if this one is still going strong maybe Chuck can crash a plane on the island or sky dive in without a parachute.

Have a good time.

I've been tweaking as I go Bruno. For everybody to be friends at the outset you'd have to what: live in the same town, work in the same place, be members of the same club or?

Naw, that allows you too much chance to organize out of character, we virtually never played modules where the PCs were old friends before the module well, campaign. It's too tempting to learn something about a companion's early life, etc. late in the game just when it gets you out of a fix.

I'm thinking you guys are ending up on the same boat because the hunting trip is part of a country wide contest or lottery. It doesn't matter if you didn't buy a ticket your crazy Aunt Hatchet won the prize but has a previous engagement. She's taking a cruise ship up and down the coast of Somalia. She paid $5,000 for a 1hr. turn on a 0.50 M2 on each pass. This cruise line specializes in adventure cruises and the ship just cruises up and down the Gold Coast baiting pirates for the tourists to fix. . . . their sights on.

Anyway, Auntie Hatchet gave you the ticket and airfare so it wouldn't go to waste. She'd like a bear rug and some fresh venison.

Okay, I just made that up on the fly but that's the sort of scenario that has the lot of you on the same boat. Hunting guides don't usually take groups out, a couple friends, family, etc. you bet but large groups? Maybe if they got a call from Publisher's Clearning House.

Jer

Before this game even starts, we will have a new host for a game #3. That way we do not second guess Frosty's next move, and a  new host will bring new challenges. It will also give Frosty a chance to enjoy sitting out a round, or maybe even playing.