I Forge Iron

Baby Got a New Pair of Shoes

that's big!!!!! the anvil and the stump!

Littleblacksmith

American sycamore is botanically speaking 'Platanus occidentalis'. It is also known as American planetree or buttonball.  Across the big pond, what you call sycamore is 'Acer pseudoplatanus'- sycamore maple or planetree maple. Just for fun, the hybrid of the American and oriental planetrees is 'Platanus x acerfolia', known as the London plane tree. So you have the plane tree with maple-like leaves, and you have the false planetree maple. Gotta love the nomenclature people. When they get bored, look out.

Steve

Plant geek

3 hours ago, Stash said:

American sycamore is botanically speaking 'Platanus occidentalis'. It is also known as American planetree or buttonball.  Across the big pond, what you call sycamore is 'Acer pseudoplatanus'- sycamore maple or planetree maple. Just for fun, the hybrid of the American and oriental planetrees is 'Platanus x acerfolia', known as the London plane tree. So you have the plane tree with maple-like leaves, and you have the false planetree maple. Gotta love the nomenclature people. When they get bored, look out.

Steve

Plant geek

Good GOLLY I LOVE this forum! So, next time I'm in the Myrtle forests of the PAC NW mulling over what piece of wood I'd like to buy. Are there any visual cues in the bark, end grain and or cut too help indicate chatoyancy of the grain?

Geek on brother I'm ready for it!

Frosty The Lucky.

There is a pic in the blacksmith book of actual smiths from "back when" aka "in the day"  which shows an anvil mounted on a piece of pipe about the same footprint as the anvil it's self.

If you can locate that book it has quite a few pictures of smiths when they made stuff for a living; serving society.  It as also contains facts of what they made from what and how much they charged.

"To Draw Upset and Weld"

Good Morning,

The BEST Anvil Stump material in the World, Is the one you have. Whatever it is!!

It works best if it is partially Pink, with Pokem-Dots. Gotta love the Burned Horseshoes, Hexcuse Mee, This is a Non-Smokin' Harea.

Old Timbers, end grain; New Timbers, end grain; Stolen Wood (Old Pallets); Whatever you have on Hand or Foot. I t works way better than diggin' a hole to stand in. Perspective is Humbling. I've got a Bigger Anvil Hole than You Dew!! Knot a Whole lot Different from Kindergarten!! Ain't life GRAND!!

Neil

You may want to mix up some copper sulfate and soak the end of the stump in it to discourage any bugs.beetles or insects. You can figure on some weight loss as the stump dries out.  Banding the stump helps to keep the stump from splitting.

4 hours ago, SReynolds said:

elm has never even so much as hinted a crack/split

back in the Dutch Elm Decease days we had dead elms all over the place and no matter how long they set you could not split the stupid stumps, we would use 3-4 wedges and pound and pound.  About the only way was cut it length wise with a chainsaw.  But I took  some logs to a mill and had 3" planks cut used them for horse stall floors, 25 yrs before I had to replace a single plank.  Had to cut to length with chainsaw skilsaw would overheat.

Affirmative.  The book says Elm. I believes it too! I only burn small dead elm. Cuz you can't split it. My huge chuck 'o white oak began splitting the first year. Had to make a band. Not one of them decorative types either with the hand made nails. No sir. The real thing. Two, 1.5" x1/8" thick steel bands overlapping ends and tension bolt. Drawing tension on the bolts time to time.

I can't see a band ,nailed to the block, holding it tight when it dries and cracks. 

I poured linseed oil on top of it and into the cracks. Then painted the OD with the oil. Several times. 

27 minutes ago, SReynolds said:

The book says Elm. I believes it too! I only burn small dead elm. Cuz you can't split it. 

The trick to splitting elm is to remember that fibers grow in reversing spiral layers up the trunk. If you chop perpendicular to the growth rings, it's impossible, but if you chop parallel to the rings, you can work your way in from the edges to the middle.

27 minutes ago, SReynolds said:

I poured linseed oil on top of it and into the cracks. Then painted the OD with the oil. Several times. 

Sealing the outside will certainly slow drying and minimize cracking.

Greetings Steuart, 

Very nice home for your beautiful anvil but you should consider a drewel catch pan for those that you show it to . It for sure would keep your floor drier .. LOL

Forge on and make beautiful things

Envious Jim

I saw an entire elm tree split into small pieces in about 30 sec.  We were trying to install a 2 way radio tower on top of a Mtn. in VT and at the exact spot it needed to be was this huge very dead elm tree.  We tried a bunch of guys to get to cut it and finally got a local contractor who had some dynamite.  he put a few sticks around the base at ground level and we all hid way down the hill when he touched that off it looked like a rocket ship leaving and when it was stage 2 time it blew into 2 million pieces and rained down on our trucks, broke windshields and dented every roof and another dead elm near by just fell over!  He only charged for the one! 

That is one nice looking anvil and stump it will serve you forever.  At a half ton it isn't moving anywhere when you are working it.  Good score.