I Forge Iron

professional grade ?

EBay sellers are now offering for public sale professional grade cast iron anvils. Are they much better than the non-professional grade cast iron?

Sounds like these could possibly be quite the bargain.  I want to get mine early on  before the cat is out if the bag on these and inventory is depleted. 

Now I can become that professional blacksmith my mother had always hoped for me.

They could be a better quality cast iron, but more than likely they are the same as "Heavy Duty" cast iron.  What I am getting at is that they probably added a power word in front of cast iron to boost sales.  Just a manipulation tactic most likely.  But at that price you could have a few decent boat anchors for yourself.

So if cast iron contains more carbon why oh why is it so easy to drill/tap etc? I would tend to think it would be very very hard.

When you have 1020 it isn't so hard but say a 51100 is. So add more carbon like 3.00 % it softens up.

How come?

The additional carbon in grey cast iron is in the form of graphite which acts as a lubricant while drilling and tapping. That's why drilling produces a fine powder instead of spiral chips. White cast iron is a different story altogether.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

The old HF cast iron ASOs were certainly a low grade cast iron; we drilled one to make a propane stove out of it and it drilled like butter and the swarf was so full of carbon we could have probably ised it as a forge fuel!

I'm a bit curious about this project...why and what?  Got me thinking about what else (other than doorstops) one might be able to modify them to become.  

25 minutes ago, Kozzy said:

I'm a bit curious about this project...why and what?  Got me thinking about what else (other than doorstops) one might be able to modify them to become.  

Would make a great looking front tractor weight. 

12 hours ago, SReynolds said:

Now I can become that professional blacksmith my mother had always hoped for me.

Here all this time I thought it was training, education and lots of experience/practice to one day become a Professional blacksmith I never knew it was faster just to buy one of these Professional Grade Cast Iron anvils and presto you is one. 

Well. . . .yes, but I wasn't going to go there. Or possibly a lawn tractor name brand. John Deere isn't good enough these days. If you really want to cut that grass you need a;

Ranch King   Lawn Chief

Master Mower  Turf Titan

Pro-Cut 

Simply the name alone invokes professionalism. I doubt blacksmithing is different,  eh?

On 3/29/2016 at 5:52 AM, notownkid said:

SHEEP or GOATS,    mows, trims and fertilizes

Oh yeah, the best thing about using goat weed whackers is if one of your kids gives you trouble you can eat or sell it without getting in trouble. BBQ lamb or kid. mmmmmmmmmmm.:wub:

Frosty The Lucky.

5 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Goat will climb a 4' wire fence to get at orchard trees and roses!

Only a pygmy or dwarf would need to climb a 4' fence. All our fencing was 53" Ranch panel with chicken wire to keep them out of the openings. Goats are cool, we had a neighbor when I was a kid who moved in with a few Nubian goats and put up a tether ball. You should see goats play tether ball just don't get the idea YOU have a chance playing against one. They actually almost played by the rules, took turns, winner plays on. But believe me if a 200lb. Nubian buck spikes the ball just get out of the way!

Frosty The Lucky.

My wife was the "vacation milker" for friends who ran a goat dairy in Arkansas; she always claimed she would only own a 3 legged goat as the one she knew couldn't climb fences, (or trees). Our more recent interactions have been with goats that provide fiber; angora (that produce mohair, angora the fiber is produced by rabbits....and we've owned them too; but more as pets...)

My grandfather would not own a goat.  One ate the top of his brand new model T when he was courting my grandma. 

As for the Anvils, if I had not found this place I would not have known what to look for in an anvil.  I would say people like me are their bread and butter.  I was in the lumber store when two guys were talking about vices.  One said to not waste money on a Wilton because one from HF will do the same thing and a lot cheaper.  One of the old clerks jumped in and gave them the truth.  When my father-in-law died the vultures were circling around his Wiltons, one generously offered "more than the bullet was worth" $50.  Yes they thought I was that stupid.  The point is, lots of people don't know better.

We use to keep goats with our race horses at the track to keep them company in the stalls.  One night one eat every hair off the tail of one of the horses.  We spent 2 days convincing the race track officials we hadn't done something to it.  Took a yr for the tail to grow out looked awful in the meantime.  The goat left our employee ranks.   

You are right about the goat in the pot if things didn't work out.  We had one that we moved everyday along the pasture fence line and he would eat the brush and even poison ivy with no ill effect.  He was on a chain and never once got hung up on anything.