I Forge Iron

Show Me Your Hooks!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: the horse shoe hook.

Yes, it's a length of 6mm rebar. Plain round bar works fine too.

The buyer specifically wanted a vine with a leaf on each side, but I think the rope idea is good too.

John Galt, the hooks you made appear to have a weak point at the 90° transition from square to flat. The combination of thin cross section, and sharp corner can lead to a failure at that point without some sort of bracing. Radiused corners, and keeping the stressed areas beefed up will help to avoid failures for that type of design. 

Good start, just needs some refinement.

Lots of talent on these here forums.

20 minutes ago, Ethan the blacksmith said:

looks very good! did you make the punches you used?

Ethen, you may want to specify who your asking as a lot of people are posting on here but I agree. I'd like to know too mainly on nuge's hooks. But as that's a good question I'd apply it to everyone :D 

It is entirely coincidental that this thread was posted at a time when i was working on developing hook designs. I did a crafts fair over the Xmas holidays and the woman who runs it asked me to attend her show in October in Fresno, and also asked me to come up with some different hooks to offer for sale.  The last one I posted here was a plant/feeder hanger and  I have been continuing that last theme in a few different ways.  Essentially I am starting out with more or less the same stock for each hanger and seeing what different approaches I can come up with.  Here are the latest.

I think the one with the scroll brace is nice, but I am not really a scroll kind of guy.  I am not sure I will be doing any more of them.  The next one has just a peined surface to both the back plate and to the arm and brace.  I like this one a bit more.  Then I have a different iteration of the bark textured hanger, this time with straight elements rather than curved.  I think I like the straight approach a little better, but would welcome other opinions.  Finally, there is a bark texture with leaf detail.  I think I like this one the best of all but am not sure it will be cost effective to sell.  That one takes a hour and a half to two hours to make.

Any opinions are welcome.  As I said, I am developing some styles for sale and any input as to which seemed the most marketable would be appreciated. 

Sorry the pics are out of order.  I couldn't figure out how to correct that.

hanger:leaf:close.jpg

hanger:leaf.jpg

hanger:leafr.jpg

hanger:bark.jpg

hanger:barkl.jpg

hanger:peinedr.jpg

hanger:scrollr.jpg

hanger:peined.jpg

hanger:scrolll.jpg

They are all beautiful designs and superbly crafted. I have no doubt they would sell, but they are high end of the market items. They are not the sort of thing you would put in the local market. They belong in a gallery where people go looking for high quality home furnishings and so on.

The decorations on my hooks are done with dies.  Yes, I make them.  Its a really attractive technique because typically surface embellishment is done directly into the work piece like chiseling a vein or texturing with a ballpien.  With die work you get the opposite, things pop out at you and some fun stuff can happen.  And it's way less common making it unique and visually valuable.

I also really like the paw print hook.

_daintyhook.thumb.jpg.7901a8dd5c7c9a6ecd

37 minutes ago, nuge said:

The decorations on my hooks are done with dies.  Yes, I make them.  Its a really attractive technique because typically surface embellishment is done directly into the work piece like chiseling a vein or texturing with a ballpien.  With die work you get the opposite, things pop out at you and some fun stuff can happen.  And it's way less common making it unique and visually valuable.

I also really like the paw print hook.

_daintyhook.thumb.jpg.7901a8dd5c7c9a6ecd

Very nice and very different from anything else I have seen.  I really like this hook.

17 hours ago, beammeupscotty said:

It is entirely coincidental that this thread was posted at a time when i was working on developing hook designs. I did a crafts fair over the Xmas holidays and the woman who runs it asked me to attend her show in October in Fresno, and also asked me to come up with some different hooks to offer for sale.  The last one I posted here was a plant/feeder hanger and  I have been continuing that last theme in a few different ways.  Essentially I am starting out with more or less the same stock for each hanger and seeing what different approaches I can come up with.  Here are the latest.

I think the one with the scroll brace is nice, but I am not really a scroll kind of guy.  I am not sure I will be doing any more of them.  The next one has just a peined surface to both the back plate and to the arm and brace.  I like this one a bit more.  Then I have a different iteration of the bark textured hanger, this time with straight elements rather than curved.  I think I like the straight approach a little better, but would welcome other opinions.  Finally, there is a bark texture with leaf detail.  I think I like this one the best of all but am not sure it will be cost effective to sell.  That one takes a hour and a half to two hours to make.

Any opinions are welcome.  As I said, I am developing some styles for sale and any input as to which seemed the most marketable would be appreciated. 

Sorry the pics are out of order.  I couldn't figure out how to correct that.

hanger:leaf:close.jpg

hanger:leaf.jpg

hanger:leafr.jpg

hanger:bark.jpg

hanger:barkl.jpg

hanger:peinedr.jpg

hanger:scrollr.jpg

hanger:peined.jpg

hanger:scrolll.jpg

Really like the wrap around technique

The welded ones not so much .

3 hours ago, yesteryearforge said:

Really like the wrap around technique

The welded ones not so much .

Yeah, me too.  I felt compelled to at least try a scroll but it is not really my genre.  The scroll one, by the way, has the bottom part plug welded.  On all the other ones the elements are tenoned and riveted into a countersink on the back side of the mounting plate.

6 minutes ago, beammeupscotty said:

Yeah, me too.  I felt compelled to at least try a scroll but it is not really my genre.  The scroll one, by the way, has the bottom part plug welded.  On all the other ones the elements are tenoned and riveted into a countersink on the back side of the mounting plate.

How about a collar to hide the weld on the scroll hook? I think it would add to the style of it too.