I Forge Iron

Show Me Your Hooks!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the purely utilitarian department, I wanted a bunch of heavy wire (from an election sign) S-hooks for hanging Christmas lights off the edge of my gutters. Improvised a bending fork with a pair of pliers and a C-clamp, bent the wire cold into a long sinuous curve, nicked each separation with a cold chisel, and used the same fork to snap off the hooks. Quick and dirty, fast and fun.

IMG_1980.JPG

I really like the double curl you did on the end of the hook. Adds a lot, I may have to do that some of mine if you don't mind.

Littleblacksmith

Yup as you get tireder and the work gets smaller and the fire may be uneven due to clinker it's easy to mess up in the final stages.

I try to teach students that they should *STOP* before they make the uncorrectable mistake and finish another time, and recognizing that that mistake is getting close is part of experience.

2 hours ago, Jimmyiorn said:

Das was good to meet you and we got to get together and forge again thanks

Same here Jimmy. You are welcome back anytime. 

Zeroclick, what Thomas said.  I relearn that lesson on occasion but less often now. :)