I Forge Iron

Regular time starts Nov 1, 2015

Glenn

We are off Daylight Savings Time and back on Mother Natures Time as of November 1, 2015 in this area. Dark at 5:30 PM is strange.

How do you still work in the shop? By the time you get home it is dark. By the time dinner is over, it seems time for bed, not a couple hours at the forge.

How do you cope with the time change?

Edited by Glenn

Not Mother Nature's time just a different arbitrary Human system---I blame the Railroads!

As for the shop electric lighting and doing more small finishing work inside the house.  I have some halogen floodlights that I bounce off the ceiling in the smithy to give enough light to forge by but not to finish by.  I have to direct them at the workbench for that.

• 7 years later...

Well we got to change the clocks again today. Some day we may get to leaving well enough alone with the time change, either one or the other would be fine with me.

As far as shop time, being retired, it don't matter when I go out there and no close neighbors helps with no noise complaints. This morning I awoke at 5:00 AM but my internal clock knew it was really 6:00AM. One positive thing is, I don't have to run around and change the clocks on my game cameras, never sprung ahead with them and the game can't tell time.:D

Our dogs sure can! The last 10 years I worked for the state I worked for road maintenance which always has crews on the road 24/7 we changed shift every 3 months. After 10 years I can comfortably change my sleep wake cycle in 2 days. 

I agree daylight savings /  standard is stupid and hasn't served what little purpose it did originally anymore and should go. However the biggest hassle it presents for me is getting the dog's internal clocks changed. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

X2 switching these clocks around twice a year is silly, 

I personally much prefer the fall back time we’re in now I wish they’d just shut it off on leave it on this time, but I heard on the radio that the plan to spring forward one more time before shutting it down,

do they do this nonsense in other countries or is this purely a US thing?

Back during WW2 the British used IIRC "double war time" which shifted things 2 hours.

Personally, the biannual shift is a pretty small bump on my road.  If we had to stay with one I'd vote for daylight savings time and have more light at the end of the day.

Back in the '70s and '80s I had a few years where I commuted from Laramie to Cheyenne (about 50 miles apart).  Working 8-5 meant I had to Leave Laramie about 7 and got home about 6.  For about 3+ months around the winter solstice that meant leaving before sunrise and getting home in the dark.  At one point I had back to back weekends where I had to be out of town and I went about 3 weeks without seeing the sun in Laramie.  I began to wonder why anyone wanted to live here because it was always dark.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

"Yes my little Rosanne Rosannadanna, it's always something." Pllllt. Lily Tomlin, "Laughin." She always ended that skit with a plllllt but I'm not sure if I should've put quotes around it. 

I'll take "Laughin" reruns over listening either house any day. But we don't dare ignore the . . . Plllllt!

Frosty The Lucky.

Right you are, Gilda Radner, man its been a long time.

Lilly Tomlin's was the telephone operator was a good skit, one of my favorites.

Thanks Scott we get a couple old TV show channels I watch once in a while. "Twin Peaks" got old fast when I binged it. The 1940s Batman and Superman shows are fun now and then. "Dharma and Greg" or "Beverly Hillbillies" are more my speed though. When I was laid up with Covid I spent a whole day just reading the menu of what's being live streamed. I already spend more time than I should on my computer.

Frosty The Lucky.

It's gotten harder to be edgy so SNL isn't as shocking nor pushing the limits as it was originally. "Hambergy hambergy Pepsi Pepsi Pepsi," no matter what you order just isn't funny, that's how it is now days anyway. 

Have you burned your neck hole consuming  mass quantities of pizza recently?

Frosty The Lucky.

That skit was based on a real hamburger joint in Chicago if i recall correctly. 

Not burned my neck hole but have spent a lot of time looking for the Pope in a pizza though. 

I have not watched SNL in years. They got to political in my opinion. Not that i mind political humor but it seemed like that was all they had. I may tune in though to see Dave Chapelle host. My ex-wife went to school with him. I know him well enough that he will stop and talk with me on the street. He is a really good person so i may watch just to throw a bit of support his way. I should maybe mention that he lives about 10 mins from me in Yellow Springs Ohio, yes the same place that Youngs dairy has their wool gathering every year. 

I caught that, maybe an interview with John B. It's like the, "NO soup for YOU!" line on (Friends? I almost never watched the show and just happened in on that episode. The best humor is retelling some of the things humans do.

SNL was always kind of political but the last couple decades it was always the same worn out message. The ratings backed it up and it seems they're either hired new writers or something. I've caught the opening bit a few times and it wasn't as dead unfunny as the last way too long.

Cool! If things get good enough again we can start RVing Deb and I have plans to make both Quad State and Wool Gathering. We'll have to look you up. If I haven't rubbed you the wrong way hard enough to run me off on sight, that is. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.