I Forge Iron

Monster Metal's shop burns

Glenn

What really counts is Larry and his dog are out and okay. Everything else is just stuff it can be replaced.

I wonder what happened but imagine we won't find out till after any insurance haggling is done.

How many of you out there are doing what I'm doing right now and assessing potential fire danger, home, shop, etc.? I just stoked and banked the wood stove for the night.

Frosty The Lucky.

yeah things like this are always a good reminder to check smoke alarms, and make sure fire extinguishers are charged and up to date whether it's for home, hobby or business. I know what it's like to need a fire extinguisher and not to have one.

MAN Larry I feel for you !!!!!!!  Good news is you're still here & the dog :)  shop is fixable :blink:

Frosty yea looking @ my shop for fire problems not good I have a few ! need to put them on the TOP of the list !

witch means clean decks up something I started last week but gonna take some marger time to finish 

Larry KEEP the faith ! that's all we can do in life ! & go from there

Larry,

So sorry for your loss.  It's only stuff. 

Say a prayer , pet your dog, grab your boot straps and start again. Like all of us you were probably was going to clean and rearrange the shop anyway ., I wish you well.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Here's a link for those of you that want to help.  Taken from the NWBA website.  If this link is not allowed, my apologies to the moderators.

link removed 

Given his long time support of us here at IFI we will allow this, all are case by case decisions with the owner.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the reminder Arkie I just checked. I didn't see anything recent from Larry except a bladesmith in his area was heat treating something he describes as large and the quench oil flashed over. The new knife shop is a total loss and his two dogs were sleeping inside when it went up. He and his wife got out but it was a close thing.

There are too many people burning themselves out. How about we resolve in this New Year to BE CAREFUL WITH FIRE!?

Winter is house fire season in Alaska, too many furnaces, stoves, etc. don't get used all summer than come fall folk light them up without cleaning or checking. someone burns themselves out about once a week on average and that's just in Anchorage. With fatalities usually averages less than once a month. That's crazy too many house fires.

Come on guys we play with fire as part of our craft. Of all the things to take for granted fire safety isn't even on the list.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, be careful with fire. If you have a wood stove don't burn wet wood. If you have to burn wood that isn't completely dry get the tools to clean you chimney, learn how they work, and USE them! Carbon deposits in a chimney with surprising speed and can cause serious, serious problems even if it doesn't burn the house down.

My dad was obsessive about the chimney when I was growing up. Once a week our Fisher went down for maintainance and he scrubbed the chimney. I thought it was strange until I learned about the chimney fire at a house he was living in. I knew why he was so paranoid when I heard the roar of a chimney that caught aflame. Scary stuff. 

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Thanks for the reminder Arkie I just checked. I didn't see anything recent from Larry except a bladesmith in his area was heat treating something he describes as large and the quench oil flashed over. The new knife shop is a total loss and his two dogs were sleeping inside when it went up. He and his wife got out but it was a close thing.............

Frosty, I went back on Facebook after I read your post and there were some items missing on Larry's FB page that I had previously read a few weeks ago.  I may be misquoting here and certainly am not speaking for Larry.  In one of his FB posts, which I could not find (maybe removed or Larry had a change of heart), he announced that he was turning the tong business over to his associate, Andy, and that he himself was going to start doing something different, making some sort of hydraulic hammers, maybe.  Kind of a shock, but the fire might have changed business plans.  At least Q&D is back to making tongs, punch lube and carrying shirts.

It's been quite a while since I read Larry's FB page, just a couple weeks after the fire. I remember him saying his partner was going to take up making tongs but I got the impression it was till he got back up to speed. That was quite a while ago though so my memories are not only bad they're really out of date.

Whatever he decides to do I'll be pulling for him.

Frosty The Lucky.