I Forge Iron

Throat surgery on 10/14/15

JHCC

Two weeks from tomorrow (that is, on 10/14), I'm going into the hospital for throat surgery: tonsil removal, soft palate and uvula reshaping, and the removal of excess material from the back of my tongue, all to open up my airway and reduce (or even, inshallah, eliminate) of my obstructive sleep apnea. 

Prayers would be appreciated, not only for me, but also for my wife Lisa who will have to put up with me while I'm recovering.

Thanks,
John

Edited by JHCC

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it would be best if you shipped me all your sharp objects, firearms, hammers, etc.  I had a friend who had that done in Columbus OH and he said the recovery was rougher than he had been lead to expect....I have over 50 years experience with praying; but I hope you won't mind if I do a bit for you anyway.

Prayers would be appreciated, not only for me, but also for my wife Lisa who will have to put up with me while I'm recovering.

Chances are you won't be doing much talking so she should be fine. If you are like some I know though, your wife might even suggest they stick your mouth shut by "accident" while they are in surgery, just for later. :P

Perhaps it would be best if you shipped me all your sharp objects, firearms, hammers, etc.  

Especially the hammers, right? ;) 

Chances are you won't be doing much talking so she should be fine. If you are like some I know though, your wife might even suggest they stick your mouth shut by "accident" while they are in surgery, just for later. :P

I come from a long line of laconic New Englanders. She, a voluble Southerner, has had more than enough of my silence!

I think a good nite sleep for the missus will be worth you being a baby during recovery. Luck, and certainly prayers

I've been on CPAP for several years now, but I suspect (and hope) this will be better for both of us.

Thank you, everyone!

I would not like you to undergo a plannishing whilst you are under the weather!  Also take care when posting on strong medication---the internet never forgets!

And remember to take such medication!  Far easier to deal with pain before it gets out of hand than after and you may be laconic but your wife may be suffering along side you through her awareness of you.  I'd refer you to a classic Ozark hill tale; but I'm afraid the name of the published book contravenes the use terms here.  Hmm perhaps IM

You and Lisa are on the list here John. Fortunately the throat and attached pieces heal pretty quickly. Do take the pain meds, a person heals faster without the stress chems a body secretes when in pain.

Got a list of movies and music ready? I found reading, especially a comp monitor made me hurt more at first but after a day or two I was fine reading. Audio books are a winner though, zero effort when healing is good.

All the best to you and yours. We're pulling for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Personally I wouldn't risk such surgery during the fall hay fever season---unless you are doing a great impression of terminal consumption at a 19th century living history event...

Unfortunately, the scheduling is ruled by the need to have the surgery and leave enough time for another sleep study and (probably) getting a new breathing machine before my health insurance deductible resets at the beginning of the calendar year.

why:D

Oh and good luck on the op! If you haven't read them its a good time to get into R.R. Martin's books:)

I've read all of A Song of Ice and Fire that's been published so far, but might be worth re-reading. 

Edited by JHCC

Best of luck with the op. OP.

When I was a lad I had a couple of hernia operations, one at 8 and one at 9. All the other kids in the ward were in for tonsillectomies and they were all being fed jelly and ice cream after their ops. I was the only one on boiled cabbage and swede...can you imagine the cruelty!

Alan

We call that Jello here, jelly is the uggly little sister of jam and preserves made from the juice (probbably the cooking liquid from the preserves!)

but, yes especialy if thecabage was boiled till pink like the sotherners here do!

What is Swede? 

According to the BBC you call swede  rutabaga in the states...

We also call the clear, pith and pip free version of jam "jelly" just to confuse the issue. But I am glad the context gave it away as being the bouncy stuff made from sugar, gelatine, colouring and flavourings!

As kids we almost used to prefer it in the unmade up state...really chewy rubbery lumps!

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

Jelly babies, gummy bears etc! Lol. 

Rutabega, got ya. Lol. I have a budy that imograted to OZ, so I catch most of it. Crisps, chips and such. (Tho I will forever thisnk of chips as pomfrits, now where is the brown mustard?!) tho they are as bad, if not worse about slautering our shared language than we are.

Now the turnip is another beast, alltogether! Makes a nice change from the potato. I rather like 'scotts broth'

So Thomas you were raised without "our" mothers favorite instruments of "torture" 'blasted Broccoli, Neeps, leeks and Brussel sprouts?:)

Funny though as an adult I regularly prepare meals with at least one of them in it! A bit warm here for Swedes though.

Should you find leeks remember to cut off the bottom 1" and stick in the garden , they will grow again!

Charles, the best Scotts broth is single malt:D

Edited by ianinsa