I Forge Iron

The danger of wearing a ring?

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...
Most unpredictable/accidental ring accident I've heard about was a guy doing a tin roof with a steep slope, lost his footing on the ladder, caught his ring finger on a nail head and lost it....

this is the story my shop teacher told us about rings and jewelry etc. in the shop and i really didnt believe him, until now.

• 4 months later...

To some women and men that symbol is key. My friend and his wife were one of those people, so in the name of safety and to keep the symbol they both got tattoo rings. He said it hurt like crazy (not his exact words), but it was worth it and in both of their opinions it strengthened their relationship even more because of the permanency of the tattoo.

Rich C.

When I was in the US Army we had a guy who grounded out a 24V battery system on a truck he was working on, the ring was welded to the frame and the wrench and when he jerked his hand back he pealed his finger like taking off a sock. I tried several types of rings after that, the one I liked best was a hematite as it didn't conduct electricity but it kept breaking so I finally just gave up. Been married 16 years and haven't wore any thing like that for most of those years. I will likely never get that picture out of my head and anytime I think about a wedding ring it comes back.

My first day back to work after the honeymoon I jumped off a truck and my ring got caught on a bolt. It skinned my finger to the bone to my middle knuckle and then the ring broke. Luckily it was a small ring (my Grandfathers, my Mom wanted me to be married in it) and it broke before it completly removed the skin or even pulled my finger off. I should have taken it as a sign lol we divorced at 7 years.

• 2 months later...

When I was a newly wed, My "lovely Young Bride" and I were in the Army Guard. I knew better than to wear a ring while working. She and I had had words when I lost the first wedding ring after 28 days or wedded bliss! We had even discussed at lenght the safety issues. She and I were at an ARMY aviation OP's center and she spied a poster. She walked over, looked long, lifted a small flap in the corner, gagged, walked over and demanded my wedding ring. I now only wear my ring on our anniversary when we go out for dinner. 27.5 years married now.

The poster was a simple photo of an object that looked like a hot dog chewed on by a baby without teeth. No words. The flap in the corner had a question mark. Under was the photo of the hand that the finger came off. The meat had been stripped from the still attached bone etc.

• 3 months later...

No jewelery for me, just gets in the way. My wife has finally come to terms with the fact that I will not wear my ring, PERIOD!!! I do put it on sometimes when we go out for special occations as a compromise. I also don't like gloves for the same reason. That would be the hook factor.

When at farrier school they covered the safety issue of heat,pull offs of fingers and then added the scariest one ,when nailing on a shoe should the nail curl under your ring when you drive it through the hoof ,guess who just attached themselevs to the end of a 1000 # piston with attude.

We've had apprentices wearing pendants or zodiac signs around their neck. Told them son don't wear that when forging, won't listen, forging away under the power hammer wearing a t shirt or singlet in summer. Stood up, yep now you have a nice little rectangular burn there. Overalls with brass press studs will perform the same, kids come to work next day with a verticle row of small circular burns down their tummy. Will not wear any jewellery at work or at play. My wife got a very nice wedding ring, I got a really nice stereo for my wedding present, still reckon I came out better.
The current fashion for the kids is the stretching rings in the ears, waiting to see what injuries come from them.
Cheers
Phil

12796.attach

Edited by forgemaster

Ahh yes the old 501 (button fly) Levi's and the wood stove interaction.

I wear a medic alert but it's on an easily broken chain---learned that one from a Geology Prof that told us about nearly hanging himself with his magnifier that was on a stout leasther thong around his neck.

• 3 months later...

I have a white gold band. A palate of steel parts landed on top of a welding table with my hand under it. The Ring is now egged but! my hand is fine. NOTHING will save you better than paying attention. and if you don't pay attention nothing will save you period.

yeah ive been burned lots of times form silver pendants getting too hot over the fire and then when you stand up and it hits your skin again.. ouch.. i never wear my wedding ring ever really - its too much of a pain gets in the way of everything! maybe special occasions - i think we should all relax about the wedding rings - dont they know we love em??

Not exactly a ring "accident", but it's a ring story. After 20 years or so, it appeared that my wedding ring, which never leaves my finger, had shrunk. I'm sure that was caused by washing all those dishes over the years. It's actually in two pieces, a gold-filled sterling inner band and a sterling outer that fits in a channel in the inner band.

Since I work with metal, how tough could it be to cut it off and make it bigger? So I put a piece of sheet under where I was going to cut it and proceeded to use my Dremel with a little cutoff wheel.

Did you know that sterling is also an excellent conductor of heat? Did you also know that even a tiny little Dremel cutoff wheel is enough to heat a sterling ring to where it will burn skin?

But it worked, and my finger healed nicely. I just expanded the ring and rotated the bands so they didn't line up. One of these days I'm going to fill the gap in the outer band with some silver solder and shape it to look like that band. But at least now I can take it off my finger before I do that. I'm not stupid!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a sterling daily wear ring, it gets beat up, and a good gold ring for going out. I wear the sterling most of the time, but not with grinding or anytime it may hang up. I have a carabiner I keep my keys on, it goes on that. At $15 if I loose it, no great loss, and the wife is ok with that. 8 years and counting.

after loosing some weight my fingers also got smaller....so i am out back swimmin in our pond, flailing and such and it flew off...lost in the 15' deep mud bottom pond...never to be found again, so.... i went down to my jewler buddy (who has since Passed away) and got him to make two more, 1 for me and 1 for her...i went and told the wife i lost it in the pond and she should throw hers in with it...."it will be there for ever together with yours" let me tell you how nice thing have been and its been years....lol

I got a few ring stories, a non-ring story and a tip. We will start with the tip:

If you can't get your ring off, take a 6 ft length of stout string (or #0 suture) and start wrapping your finger from above the knuckle. Wrap as tight as you can stand, and don't worry about your finger turning colors, you will be unwrapping very soon. When you get to the ring, tuck the end under the ring. At this point the ring may slip off, all the better. If the ring is still on, take the end under the ring, and start unwrapping. Use needle nose pliers, or forceps, to control the end if you need. As you unwrap the ring should be forced over the thread and compressed flesh, removing the ring without (additional) injury or damage to either the ring or person. **IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE THIS WHOLE PROCESS TAKES LESS THAN 3 MINUTES TO PREVENT TISSUE DAMAGE FROM LACK OF BLOOD FLOW***

Now story time

I was braking up concrete in my basement to install a sump well using a broken torsion rod (about 4 ft long, 1 inch spring steel) and a sledge hammer. While setting the rod in a drill hole, I somehow clapped my finger between the hammer and rod, smashing the ring well. Hurt like xxxx too. I ended up smacking the ring again to get it off, and straightened it on the but end of a drill bit in the vice. I was happily not really injured. Our jeweler won't touch my ring, or look at my ring after declaring it has "extra character."

I hung myself on a shelving post by my _right_ ring finger falling off a ladder at work, while trying to get a tire down from the top shelf. We only stocked a few trailer tires, so this was kinda funny, in a very painful way. My skin was peeled back from the fold at the palm to the next knuckle. I have always worn my ring on my left hand, and was wearing my ring on my left hand at the time. The ER doc had some problems with this and thought I just switched my ring over to my left hand at first. Just because you are not wearing your ring doesn't mean you cannot have an injury that is usually caused by a ring. Also never keep heavy objects above chest level.

Phil