I Forge Iron

The danger of wearing a ring?

Glenn

We just had a guy snag his on something and rip his finger off.

When I start working, off comes the watch, the ring, and on go the safety glasses.

If you need to hang a sign by the forge to get you in the habit, after a while, forging with a ring or watch on will seem unnatural.

• 4 months later...

well those pictures are difficult to remove from the mind...well my father and mother had theyre wedding done in the church but it was just them and the preacher and my father works alot around machinery so he specifically told my mother to not get him a ring. he doesnt wear a ring to this very day of being married 20some-odd-years. i have a ring i wear and i take it off every time i do anything that involves: heat, metal, fast moving objects and rotating objects. so i hardly wear my ring at all.....

I remove my wedding ring when doing risky work, a lot of what I do in the shop or around the place holds no chance of snagging a ring. However, better safe than sorry is a good policy so if you're not sure about something take the rings off.

My watch band is plastic with a thin spot for a safe break away band. My med alert necklace is on a chain you could break with a healthy sneaze and stays under my long sleeved shirt.

No loose clothing, long unrestrained hair, snaggy anything on me in the shop. You only have to see someone jerked into the drillpress by their hair one time to remember THAT simple rule forever. One of the guys at work also managed to skin his ring finger jumping off the drill rig. Not forgetting that one either. Lucky for him I don't have a thing about blood except to control the bleeding. Dad was a metal spinner, so I got good at 1st aid by 8-9 years old, especially where copious bleeding is involved.

Just remember you don't have to be wearing anything dangerous to get caught and torn up. Ever ask yourself what'd happen if one of those drill cuttings grabbed you? Lathe cuttings too can drag you screaming and bleeding into the works too. Best bet is to make sure there are NO spinning cuttings by using a chip breaker kind of a hook on a smooth rod so you don't get any flesh within a foot or so. The handle shouldn't have anything on the end to catch you either.

As was said some time back, NO safety equipment is worth spit if your brain isn't engaged. Keep your eyes and ears open for trouble and don't take stupid chances. Most people are really bothered by arterial bleeding and it can be hard to get them to help you out.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

• 1 month later...

Well I have to add a couple of stories..My uncle lost his ring finger due to a wedding ring. He was a truck driver and hauled pipe. He went to jump down off the trailer and his ring hung on a piece of pipe. "POP", right off his finger came :blink:
Me and another officer where doing cell searches and he was looking over a door jam. Went to jump down and his ring got caught. Didnt pop off but the ring had to be cut off and stitches were needed.
Me and another buddy of mine were fabbing bar sets,grills,crash gates etc for the federal bop. He was welding without gloves(yes, I know but if you have welded for very many years sooner or later you have been in a hurry and picked up the stinger without a glove) A big wad of slag rolled off and welded itself right to his wedding band. He went to yank off the ring and the first two layers of skin came off with it ;)
Absolutly true stories folks, though Ive got an even better one about an inmate welding pipe in the mud while setting on the pipe :blink:

• 1 month later...

i saw a guy lose a fair bit of his finger from a ring, one yuppie get the bottom of his ear lobe ripped open out bush, and one almost beheaded using the wrong kind of necklace.

i dont wear jewelry of any kind, (past job)

in a machine shop or the workplace the like, where the jewelry could get caught and risk your self and indirectly others, i would suggest one does not wear any.