I Forge Iron

Did i made a good deal

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to the forum and to blacksmith in general. I'm slowly( with 3 young kids and a new puppy that take a lot of my time) assembling a forge in my backyard and i manage to find an anvil. I was wandering if i made a good deal and is there anything i need to fix on it to make it a good anvil? I paid 200$ for it it happen to be in my cousin backyard for year. Should i clean the body and the face with a wire brush and paint the body with some rust proofing?.

Thanks for the reply.

Anvil1.jpg

Anvil2.jpg

Anvil4.jpg

Anvil3.jpg

Anvil4.jpg

Looks like a Peter Wright, can't tell what the weight is but it looks like a good size. Pictures show it to be in what I'd consider to be very good condition. As for the cleanup, power wire brush on an angle grinder would work wonders, followed by a couple coats of boiled linseed oil. Whatever you do, no grinding! Using the top face to beat hot metal will improve the condition.

I think you made a good deal, I'd be happy to hand over $200 any day of the week for that one. Congrats.

What does the anvil weigh on the bathroom scales?

Are there any markings on the side of the anvil? A hand held wire brush may revel the markings on the side. Then take a pencil rubbing of the marks or shake a little baby powder or flour into the depressions and gently remove any excess from the surface to revel any markings. Let us know what you find.

Edited by Glenn

Real nice anvil. Take your time, don't hurry - the family is more important and you will get the time polish this babe shiny with only hammering glowing steel on it. Don't mind the rust - I read it somewhere here: it's only for conservation.

Happy hammering:

Gergely

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

A little wire brushing and some hot steel and a hammer is all she needs to shine. If you're going to leave her outdoors then a rest preventative won't hurt a bit, linseed oil is popular, I like wax, LPS-3 is a high quality spray wax with rust inhibitors that gets into all the nooks and crannies and leaves as a durable finish. If you wire brush it clean and warm it up to say fresh cup of coffee temp a good paste wax works a treat, Plain old Johnson's furniture polish is good but my favorite is Trewax carnuba paste wax. This is the stuff they use to protect bowling alleys and they need to sand the lane to get it off. Really tough stuff and it's a good finish for forged projects as well.

There's nothing wrong with paint though you'll hear lots of squealing and shrieks of outrage from the "traditional crowd." Regardless, a good coat of Rustoleum will last years, especially if you prime with a phosphorous primer say Ospho. You can get exotic with the paint too, say a 2 part epoxy over an acid etch epoxy primer.

No need to get crazy though, the main idea is get that lady back in action. Even just a quick wire brushing and a spray with Pledge furniture polish will keep it from deteriorating till the kids are in middle school and you can relax a LITTLE. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

At least a nice pin stripe job. (grin)

Single or Double breasted Jacket? With matching Slacks?? Spit Polished kicks too???:D:D Dew Eye have to wear the rope thing??

Good Anvil, just start using it after a wire brush treatment. It will give you years of good use!

Neil

Thanks a lot guys.

As soon as i have it in my possession i will check for marking, right now it's a my cousin place 400km away. Can't wait to start using that baby.

Now i can concentrate on other important piece of equipment.... The Forge.

If you're thinkin about solid fuel look in the blueprints section and you'll find the 55 forge. Easiest way to get started right there. Once you have some experience you might want to make some changes but it'll work hard for you in the meantime.

in the beginning i wanted to go with a coal forge since it's fairly easy to build but i decided to go with propane since i'm very close to my neighbors and the smoke and dust will be a big problem. 

That said, I'd suggest looking for frostys t burner. It'll save you a pile of cash and the basic forge body can be made out of most anything with just a little effort and attention. The first one I built using a clean one gallon metal paint can. It wasn't big and since it was heated with a plumbers torch wasn't effective but it worked well enough to let me know if I wanted to go further with gas. 

Propane forges are definitely great for learning on, and certainly easier to get refills when you run out of fuel.

That anvil looks beautiful.  I wouldn't do more than knock the loose rust off with a wire brush and give it a rub with some oil.  She looks nearly perfect and I don't doubt that you'll have a lifetime of good memories with her.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't post the video that i made. :( Got the anvil , no marking on it for now i will wire brush it soon to find one. Sound and rebound are great.

I have the FORBIDENNN curse

Edited by Takeru691