I Forge Iron

Need some Value help.

Good afternoon all.

I have an opportunity on an anvil. Haven't seen pics on it yet. I will have to travel about 3 hours to see it in person. I have been asked to make an offer (no asking price) and wondering what if fair value. Obviously the condition and wear is main consideration but I am told it is used very little and in excellent condition. Peter Wright 195#. this is my first anvil.

I would be a little hesitant to drive 3 hrs without having seen any pix, or without having any idea what ballpark he is in price-wise. A local guy lists anvils with the 'best offer accepted' statement, turns out he wants $6-7 per pound, but won't put a price in the ad. A PW in real nice shape could tempt a guy to ask for the moon, especially if he researches his pricing on ebay. I agree with Thomas with the $2-3 per# price- that is generally my max range but there are some crazy numbers out here.

Steve

I agree.  I would be very hesitant to make the drive without knowing even the ballpark of what the seller is expecting for the anvil.  My expectation is that the seller is just maneuvering to get as much crazy high amount of money for it as possible.   Part of that maneuvering is to see if you are desperate enough, and/or gullible enough, to drive 3 hours with zero information. 

One technique to boost the price of something is to get the buyer to invest in the article before the sale. Getting you to spend the cost of the trip means you have already invested considerabily into the anvil. $600 max after you have seen pictures of the anvil - you have @ $300 tied up in the trip. ? What can you get for $900 locally?

The condition looks good.

As for me, I have averaged $1 a pound for all 7 of my anvils. The last one was a 138# Peter Wright just a few months ago for $100. 

All in all it doesn't matter what myself,or others are paying for anvils. What is important is what can YOU comfortably afford. I would knock some off the price because of the travel time/distance. Fuel isn't free, unless you are driving a Tesla......  I would talk to the seller, and explain that you are uncomfortable committing to the trip without some hint of price from them. Try to work out the price before you leave. If they are unwilling to even consider this, I would turn it down. Ask them if they would be willing to drive 6 hours to buy something that they don't know the price on.......  I have also found that by talking with the owner a bit, and letting them know that it will be used, and not just resold they are willing to work on price more to help a beginner get started.

Good luck.

I have family that actually is close to there so I travel there about once a month. I have $300 set aside now for an anvil purchase and he is asking for an offer. I wanted to be fair but not give the bank away...lol.  at 1.50 a pound it about hits my $300. From what I am seeing on pricing in the area it appears that mid range anvils in the 100-165 pound range bring the highest per pound prices. Let me take a run at it and I will let you know how I make out. Thanks for the input guys.

Good Morning,

I don't understand why this question keeps coming up. What is this worth, what is that worth?

If you are serious, you would have your ass in a saddle and be on your way to make a deal that you can afford.

Worth, is an agreed upon amount between two parties. No more. Be serious or get away from the keyboard!!!!!

Neil

Hey Neil,

Little advice. If you don't like it. don't read it. Should have been pretty evident from my title of the post, the information I was trying to get a feel for.

From what I have read here and other resources, condition can effect the value, construction can effect the value. value and the price seem to differ by a lot in many cases. I really do appreciate your thoughtful input though.

I wouldn't buy a used car (or a new one for that matter) without researching what they are going for BEFORE I go to make a deal. Don't see why someone would buy an anvil that way either.  What I want to see in such posts is the information needed to make a suggestion at the start rather than having to drag it out with red hot tongs...so to speak...

I wouldn't buy a used car (or a new one for that matter) without researching what they are going for BEFORE I go to make a deal. Don't see why someone would buy an anvil that way either.  What I want to see in such posts is the information needed to make a suggestion at the start rather than having to drag it out with red hot tongs...so to speak...

​Fair enough

Mr. Culver,

I understand you want to make sure you don't pay too much. I don't understand how you can possibly ask the world for a logical reply or value for an item that hasn't been identified.

Then you say you only have $300.00 saved up. When you posted the picture of the anvil on this forum, you should have figured out a way to go look at the Anvil and try to have the person see your sorry face and accept your funds. If you aren't prepared to do that, you are wasting every ones time with this skit.

I still say, Git Yo ass in the Saddle and try to make a deal. Instead we have attitude. The anvil is worth more than your $300.00, GO GET IT!!!!!!

Neil

Mate, that anvil looks to be in great condition and the three hour trip seems like a small investment to me, if there is a chance that you could acquire it. Maybe it will be too expensive for you, but you will regret it if you don't at least give it a chance. 

Good luck - I hope it comes home with you. :D

Mr. Culver,

I understand you want to make sure you don't pay too much. I don't understand how you can possibly ask the world for a logical reply or value for an item that hasn't been identified.

Then you say you only have $300.00 saved up. When you posted the picture of the anvil on this forum, you should have figured out a way to go look at the Anvil and try to have the person see your sorry face and accept your funds. If you aren't prepared to do that, you are wasting every ones time with this skit.

I still say, Git Yo ass in the Saddle and try to make a deal. Instead we have attitude. The anvil is worth more than your $300.00, GO GET IT!!!!!!

Neil

I think you are mistaken about who brought "attitude".  The really great thing about forums is that no one ever holds a gun to anyone's head and makes them read or participate in anything. lol. In all seriousness though there really are two numbers in any negotiation, value and price. I was just trying to get a feel for the value of the anvil. Bsed on the info on this thread and the site I saw the anvil and made the $300 offer. (below what I believe the value to be). Ended up making the deal for $350. I am happy with that number.

Thanks for the help guys, done deal at $350. I also picked up another steel anvil that has the entire heel snapped off with the Hardy and Pritchel holes missing. couldn't determine the make but it is about 120# as is. Good edges though. Figured for $50 it would be good to have if I needed to do some heavy hitting.

I'd round them to a smooth curve and use them as fullers!  One of the great things about "damaged" anvils is that you can modify them without feeling guilty.  I put a prosthetic hardy on mine for student use.  Can you tell what brand it is?  Mine is a Powell