I Forge Iron

How I do my hammer handles

MAD MAX

just thought I would put in for everyone what I do for my hammer handles. I have never liked hammers with polyurethane or other similar finishes. I also don't like the configuration of most handles as they come new. so when I put in a new handle the first thing I do is to shave it down a little thinner  starting about 2 in below the head and then shave it to fit my hand. And while I am at it ALL of the finish comes off. Then once I have it shaped to my liking I will dip the entire handle in old motor oil and let a fair portion of the oil run off, then I set it on the bench head down and heat it with a propane torch, moving the torch up and down fairly fast until most of the oil is almost gone.

I have found that using a handle that has been treated this way is easy on the hand and if thinned out in the "neck" area seems to have a slight "whip'.

An oil finished handle is popular with a lot of folk, I use Johnson's paste wax on mine but that's not the issue.

The issue I have is the used motor oil. Used motor oil contains all kinds of unhealthy byproducts from exhaust fumes, metal shavings, burnt antifreeze, gasket sealant, etc. Bad things to be grinding into your hide, long term health hazards.

I'd switch to something like a log oil, or other finishing oil, if not any clean oil that will polymerize is good linseed oil, olive oil, etc. Heck, I'd use bacon grease first, even if local bears were more likely to eat my hammers.

Of course that's just my opinion I could be wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I like your bacon grease idea.  Hammer for a while and then when you have the handle heated up a little, just start licking your palms!!!!!

Keeps you on the dog's good side too.

I just realized I didn't go into the proper application of the bacon hammer handle preparation. first get the forge hot, then wrap the handles with bacon and roast it over the fire. Unwrap the handles on a plate of slice of bread, top with a fried egg and VIOLA! Your hammer's ready for use. Right after breakfast.

Frosty The Lucky.

You gotta be faster than the dog when it comes to licking the handle!!

RIGHT ON!!!  Bacon and forging for breakfast.  My kind of thinking.  Heating over the fire will let that yummy bacon grease have maximum penetration into the handle.

Remove the finish from the handle. Shape the handle to what pleases you and your hand. Finish with 100 grit sandpaper.

Mix boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits 50/50 and apply with a t-shirt or rag. Give the handle all the mixture it will take for 3-4 days then oil once a week for a month, then once a month until no more is soaked into the wood. Repeat every 6 months or once a year.

Since I have started using this mix on ALL my wooden handles, they have taken on an rich brown color and an easy to use finish. The finish cut way down on the blisters from using handled tools. YMMV  

I just realized I didn't go into the proper application of the bacon hammer handle preparation. first get the forge hot, then wrap the handles with bacon and roast it over the fire. Unwrap the handles on a plate of slice of bread, top with a fried egg and VIOLA! Your hammer's ready for use. Right after breakfast.

Frosty The Lucky.

i like it frosty, talk about killin to birds with one stone. ya dont want to try out the handle on an empty stomach!

Glenn   The T shirt you used to apply the linseed oil to the handle would this be the one you were wearing then or the one from yesterday before it goes in the wash. ?

I place an order once or twice a yr. with a company in MO, will not name names here, but they have handles for about everything.  I usually get a set of walk behind equip. handles, cant hook handles, hammer handles, shovel and fork handles, file handles and what ever else I'm working on.  If I see a hammer of any type minus a handle somewhere I'll buy it or a hay fork or manure fork or shovels again minus handles I'll get them and when someone in the family shows up to borrow mine I fix one up for them and send them along and I'll keep mine.  I'll will now offer instructions for finishing and they can do their own which I doubt they will ever do.  Gave some at Christmas last year. 

quite interesting all the different ideas on finishing, paste wax I'll have to try on something.  bad day when I don't learn something on IFI

My handle treatment of choice:

1 part boiled linseed oil + 4 parts thinner - - - Apply to a handle that's been warmed by the forge for awhile.  You want to drive out as much residual moisture from the wood as you can.  Then paint on the thinned BLO.  Thinning the BLO allows it to soak into the pores of the wood much easier.

If the handle hasn't been fixed to the head, be careful to not get any BLO on the area that will go inside the head.  The BLO will act like a lube and prevent a good lock-up with the head.  This is especially important if you use glue or epoxy to help fix the head/wedge in place.

If you've already got a head in place, you can heat the whole thing up by the forge and then slip the handle down into a PVC pipe filled with the thinned BLO.  Saves you from having to paint it on and catch the drips, and it gives the wood plenty of time to soak in.

Hey, I'll play. :D

1) Shape handle to comfort level with old farriers rasp.

2) Run handle through hot forge to burn off high points. (Propane in my case)

3) Sand smooth with Harbor Freight medium sanding sponge.

4) Oil and finish with 0000 steel wool impregnated with boiled linseed oil.

5) Happiness ensues.

Edited by Matt_K

Glenn   The T shirt you used to apply the linseed oil to the handle would this be the one you were wearing then or the one from yesterday before it goes in the wash. ?

​There is always a t-shirt, towel, or other cloth laying about. I prefer cutting them into 6 inch squares and considering them single use items. Once coated in oil, grease, dirt, etc, they go into the wood stove so there is no concern about spontaneous combustion. They make good fire starters for the next fire in the stove.

I save all my old cotton socks for applying finishes.  If I am using one of the linseed oil, turpentine, beeswax, and/or thinner finishes they won't hurt your skin so I just slip the sock over my hand, rub in the finish, throw away the sock (per Glenn's method to prevent combustion), clean hand.

Frosty The Lucky.

​If we had some bacon, we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs

Slightly off topic, but...since we are talking food and wood here......

My dad used to say the best way to eat mackerel was to nail it to a wet pine board.  Then you baste it liberally with salt, pepper, lemon and butter and grill it over a hot fire.  You then remove the mackerel and eat the board. :D