I Forge Iron

Goodbye blacksmithing in my backyard.

So i started my forge today for the first time and it was bad the pipe fell out holding the blower. My mom said since i am only young its best for me to go somewhere to do blacksmithing. So does anyone know a place in NJ where i can go i already know you posted it to me in another post but i forgot it does anyone know a place in NJ that i could go today and check out.

OK, John, once more....go to [ABANA] The Artist Blacksmith's Association of North America, Inc. and click on the affiliates button. They are listed in alphabetical order AND the ones close to you may not start with "N" (for New Jersey). Look thru the affiliates, jot down a list of those that you think may be close to you, and contact them (there will be contact info in the listing for the affiliate).

Go to the opening page of IForgeIron.com HOT LINK CLICK HERE

IFI has the following material on EACH AND EVERY page on that section.
Want to get started in blacksmithing ---> Click here
Want to find information quickly ---> Click here
Want to navigate the site ---> Click here

Looking for a blacksmithing group near you --->

Click here

Go to the left column, second listing on the page Getting Started HOT LINK CLICK HERE
Go to GS0003 Blacksmithing Groups HOT LINK CLICK HERE

look at New Jersey
New Jersey Blacksmiths Association - NJBA

look at New York
Capital District Blacksmiths Association - CDBA
New York State Designer Blacksmiths
Northeast Blacksmiths Association - NBA

look at Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Artist Blacksmith Association - PABA
Pittsburgh Area Blacksmiths Association

Go to IForgeIron.com then links on the left column, look for schools HOT LINK CLICK HERE
Peters Valley Craft Center HOT LINK CLICK HERE

John, don't get discouraged, use the time to study.

You can practice hammer control on wood. You can practice engraving, copper smithing and tin smithing, all being done cold. The point is to use the time to your advantage and learn. Once you get a fire going, you will then have knowledge to put into practice.

Whitesmith and I spent the day splitting wood with a 16 pound maul. Think of it as striking for another smith. If you can not split the wood by hitting the log where you want, what makes you think you can hit a piece of hot metal where the smith directs you to hit it? Just another form of practice.

If we had used wedges and sledges it would have been easier, as wedges have a 2 inch diameter face (target area). We were trying to hit the line formed in the wood by the maul twice in a row, not easy when the line is less than 1/8 inch wide. And ever body can see how far you missed just by looking at the position of the second line.

How much practice you ask? The pick up truck fully loaded 4 times, the wood cut, split, and stacked. Not just up to the sideboards, but FULLY loaded.

Hammer time does not have to involve an anvil.

Ah, that's rough :( My mom was kind enough to let me do stuff in the backyard, as long as I cleaned up and kept everything in my area. You might try putting on the "puppy eyes" and asking again.

You can also do stuff to help your smithing without having a forge like Glenn said; I'd recommend weightlifting. After a while you'll be able to move a big anvil like nothin' :)

The best way to practice forging and learn how metal moves with what type of blow and what tools do what and so on is to practice using clay, it moves just like hot metal only easier and you don't need a fire.

Heres a video of Randy McDaniel doing just that...and he's showing how to make a sword. :rolleyes:

YouTube - Titanium Sword

IRon_FOrgerI22 - If you don't get anything else for Christmas you need to ask for Randy McDaniel's book "A Blacksmithing Primer"

His web site is - Home

I don't know all the details of your situation, but the big thing that parents are worried about in their kids is poor attitude and attention span. Current culture glorifies this as a "virtue", so kids are receiving a mixed message. I recall speaking with a soccer mom at the local elementary school about the virtues of respect, obedience and patience. She blurted back, these aren't virtues, they are backward, outdated weaknesses.

But, these virtues pay dividends, and one of the key ones is achievement based on accumulation. Blacksmithing follows this path, in which future learning is built on a strong foundation. So, if you quietly show determination and forward progress (watch the movie "Meet the Robinsons"), minds may change. I was once assisting a young boy. He was able to use the hammer and judge temperature. He even made a usable tool. But, he was too impatient and emotional. I gave him an exercise which helped a lot. "Hit the X." I drew X marks in pen on a 2x4. Then, I asked him to hit them with a hammer and observe the dent. At first, he protested, saying that he wanted to hit hot metal. Eventually, he agreed to do the exercise. Hammer control was secondary, the real goal of the exercise was self-control. Of course, this lesson teaches both, but what he really needed was the second.

I'm stuck in the city for school and my forge is 3 hours away and when I go home it's a rare time that I get more than an hour if I stay up at night after working on the farm all day. If I can work it, I try and get out to the local museum on a sunday and help out there to get forge time in. You're only limited by your imagination as to how you get your "forge" time in. Just don't look at it as a waste like everyone said. I didn't think building houses with my dad as a kid would have made a difference but when I took my first lesson a couple years ago I realized how much it did. Apparently being able to do the 1 swing/ inch of nail like good construction workers can do really helps you hit where you want, even at full power. Even if you can't make stuff you want to, look at the practice you are getting and, if you're volunteering at a museum like me, the good you're doing as a charity. Remember, it ain't always about yourself and that's what your mom is also trying to teach out here, irregardless of how "safe" you are. She's worried of the one accident and the neighbors losing everything. How would that make you feel to be responsible for that?

I actually did do the puppy eyes and told my mom about propane forge.She was really only worried about the forge and the open fire so i need a website where i can buy a propane forge and another one on how to make one. And i do have a ench press and dumbells so i already lift weights for wrestling.

This guy has all the parts to make one...

Plans to build a simple gas forge

And this site should keep you busy till spring.

Forge and Burner Design Page #1 <- READ EVERY WORD!

Your biggest problem is the Mom hurdle you need to get over. The best way to do that is to think like a mother. So lets start...

#1. "My baby is playing with fire" Mom's are programmed forever for as long as they live to "protect". So you need to be the role model of safety. I suggest getting a pair of safety glasses to start.

#2. "Fire is dangerous" Women in general have a strange adversion to fire. Dont ask me why after two wives and numerous GF's they all had the fear of anything burning. Except candles... Women like to have a house. So you need to ensure your mother that your not going to burn her house down.

#3. "Propane explodes" See #1 & #2. I highly suggest you consider building something other than a propane forge. Google "Charcoal Forge" you should find some excellent information. Plus natural charcoal is easily found at wal mart, lowes, home depot.

#4. "He'll make a sword and kill somebody" If you've told your mom, or anybody else that would tell your mom, that your plans are to make a sword or knife or any other form of "weapon" You've blown it for now..period...end of story

I suggest you concentrate on your grades and sports. Nothing makes moms happier than good grades. It is a major factor in them judging responsiblity. Check out some books from the library and make sure she sees you reading them. Get some clay and play around make some animal faces and other art'sy stuff. By spring you'll be beating hot metal in the backyard.

IRon_FOrgerI22, Where are you located n 'Jersey? I am in North Jersey.
There is the NJ Blacksmith Association and its great , we just had Randy McDaniel's do a demo
I can put you in touch with the right folks if you want.
As others have said there is Peter's Valley which is excellent also!
TIM

hello john,
i live in claymont de , near the commodore barry bridge plus the delaware memorial bridge
i am basically a novice blacksmith but i have the whole compliment of a blacksmith
shop , anvils from 300 pounds down to 30 post vises coal and gas forges hammers tong
no power hammers though.
guess i am a tool collector.
i am a machinist by trade , and if you want to come to my house with your mom
i will explain to her safety in the shop .
i understand her concerns , one bad decision could result in injury .
i think with proper training and limiting your scope of work you would be fine
providing you have the right temperment .
i know it doesn't seem appealing but thier are many prjects that can be done cold
just with an anvil and vise , a hack saw {GOOD HACKSAW} and some files will net you some fantastic results .
good luck
chuck

IRon_FOrgerI22, Where are you located n 'Jersey? I am in North Jersey.
There is the NJ Blacksmith Association and its great , we just had Randy McDaniel's do a demo
I can put you in touch with the right folks if you want.
As others have said there is Peter's Valley which is excellent also!
TIM
Great i only live in ramsey,new jersey not far away at all pm as soon as possiable with your phone number i will have my dad or mom call you and mabe i can come over some time and do some blacksmithing