I Forge Iron

Cause & Effect

Anyone care to guess how I hold the angle grinder?

Over the course of the summer, this shirt took a lot of sparks while I used this angle grinder.

The cat in the background had nothing to do with this incident, but has been implicated in many others around the farm.

James

4009.attach

I'm sure the cat was at least partly at fault...just look at the expression on it's face. At last count, we have 7 cats (4 barn cats and 3 house cats) on our farm and they are always into trouble. One of them keeps bringing snakes to the back door.

I usually wear a leather apron when angle grinding because of the sparks.

Steve

Rainsfire.....I didn't suffer any real injury from what happered to the shirt.

A few pinholes the first time......then a few more.....a few days later ,more holes.

I got my grandson to take the picture before my wife threw the shirt away.(Which I sense is coming soon!)

I did something similar. Picked up an angler grinder at a pawn shop, no guard. and put it to work with zip discs on a fence I am repairing. It do zip when it catches just right. Laid open my jeans and wound up my t shirt across my belly. I quit for the day and ordered the guard no incidents since.

Yeah, ya gotta be careful what you tell the younguns; especially if momma can get at ya! Some mommas just don't have a sense of humor.

I don't remember when I learned the difference in smell between my Levis and virtually anything else. I was young though, under 9-10.

Dad had me holding torch for him by then and he just let me discover the importance of keeping the smells straight. Mother didn't brain him for letting me get burned either, heck, SHE thought it was a good idea. I don't know how many times she told me, "You'll know better next time won't you?"

I always wondered about kids who's mothers didn't laugh at them when they did something dumb and got hurt. Another favorite Mother saying was, "If you hurt yourself I'll paddle your butt when we get back from the doctor!"

Attached is a pic of Father spinning hot. Sherrie is holding the torch for him, she was Dad's business partner's wife. Anyway, I was young enough I had to stand on a bucket when I started holding torch for him.

Frosty

4028.attach

Having smoked for 40 years my sense of smell is not the best. Some days ( you know how it goes ) you will smell something burning and wonder... My beard, clothes etc. You know when it's hair normally. Frayed overalls will yes burn fast. Last episode was few days ago running the plasma here at home. Some forms of welding at work will absolutely cause issues ( welding over a rack table ). You can smell something in the bucket under the forge ( at a rondy when some idiot thinks it's a trash recepticle and you didn't notice ).

My parents were, and still are, firm believers in letting kids hurt themselves to respect things, to a certain extent though. No respectable parent would have their kid do something extremely dangerous but as the saying appropriately goes "The best way to respect fire is to get burnt". I remember many times I've had that happen to my shirt and dad would just tell me my shirt was catching, I'd pat it out and keep grinding. Or letting you get kicked by a cow when you weren't paying attention to where you were when pushing it up. This was back on the farm when I was a few year younger, although it still happens a few years later....are you ever old enough to know better, or am I just still to young to care?

I encouraged my kids to play in the creek and climb trees even when we lived in the city! Some of their friends were upset that I would not let *them* climb in our trees without a parent's written permission...

Worst episode we had was being chased by yellowjackets way too far. My kids are in college now and still dislike them...

Hmmm- story of my life-most of my t shirts have holes in them from welding-even though i wear a closed overall long sleeve jacket over them. Those welding sparks just go in everywhere, overhead welding and grinding in confined spaces are sure not friendly on tshirts...:D
Jayco ive got some shirts that look a lot like yours- still has a couple of welding hours left....:D
Bb

I guess I could have called this thread ' The Frugal Smith'!

I've been exposed as a 'penny pincher'!

Jr. said something about wearing a welding jacket. Well......I should have.(I've got one).
I just couldn't bring myself to wear it on those 100+ degree days of summer.

When I use the angle grinder,O/A torch,arc welder,etc.......the first thing I do is look around.

I make SURE! I'm away from ......the O/A tanks, the parts cleaner(mineral spirits), leaky carburators that might be on a nearby workbench or a gas can that's in the wrong place.

So, sometimes I forget about my shirt.

I guess the lesson from all this is that it's alright to be frugal......but it's more important to be safe!

James