I Forge Iron

Newbie Female - Emerson vs Carroll vs TFS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McMaster Carr is one place you can order them from. Just one of many pages of "balls" they carry.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-bearing-balls/=rcjgqh

Other industrial suppliers like Grangers, MSC, Fastenal and so on probably carry them. I have a Graingers and Fastenal store local to me. I used to have an MSC right next to Graingers, but they closed that location.

Not sure how far you're willing to drive, but there is a guy that always has several anvils for sell on Craigslist out of Ashville, NC.  May be worth the road trip, make a weekend of it and check out the scenery, it's a nice area to visit.

If you can't find a hardened bearing, try using a small ball pein/peen/pien hammer. Hold the hammer loosely and tap the anvil surface in various locations. If the hammer seems to jump back at you, you got rebound and the face has some degree of hardness. The more the hammer wants to jump back at you the harder the face is. If the hammer kind of thuds on the anvil, the it may be time to try another anvil. 

Good luck in your search.

Mark

Seems like the last time I was up in muscles shoels I ran accros one, but that was a while back.  I've got a rather large section of RR track, it's accually one of the largest rails I've ever seen.  About 8' tall and 3" across and about 2ft long.  Weighs in at about 70 as it is.  I'm planning on adding a little mass to the sides and making a horn.  It ought to make a good starter. 

Good luck on your hunt, those anvils will turn up in some strange places.  It only took me 4 1/2 years to find my fisher.

I'd be hard-pressed to turn down a 100lb Vulcan for $100, unless the face was chewed up something fierce.  I really like the quiet of a cast-iron body.

That said, I'd keep my eyes open for a post anvil while you're looking for a london-pattern anvil.  A good post anvil might come along sooner than a london-pattern, and they are really handy for general smithing as well as specialty work.

Considering the steel history of Alabama, finding a large chunk of iron to turn into a post anvil shouldn't be too hard......

Definitely snag the vulcan, then you can take your time and wait for the "right" anvil at the right price. Wrights are over rated (IMHO) and over priced, Mouse holes are ancient and have small horns but large amount of mass under plate. Buy the Vulcan, save up and look for a Fisher.

Seems like the last time I was up in muscles shoels I ran accros one, but that was a while back.  I've got a rather large section of RR track, it's accually one of the largest rails I've ever seen.  About 8' tall and 3" across and about 2ft long.  Weighs in at about 70 as it is.  I'm planning on adding a little mass to the sides and making a horn.  It ought to make a good starter. 

Good luck on your hunt, those anvils will turn up in some strange places.  It only took me 4 1/2 years to find my fisher.

:( 4 1/2 years?!   aaaagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

When the guy gets back from vacay I'm gonna ride up his way and check out all three.  He's up in Tennessee (God's country, went to school up there).  Yup, the wisdom of buying the Vulcan seems sound, I've seen the photos and it doesn't really look any more beat upon than the other two.  At least it'd let me start playing!   There's always rainy Saturdays to go anvil hunting.

Shoot *I'd* pick up a decent Vulcan at US$1/#----I'd sell it to someone new needing an anvil; but I wouldn't pass it by.  I've done that to several Vulcans over the years; usually for what I paid + the cost of the gas to pick it up.

Note that having an anvil seems to lure in others.

I know of a 120+/-pound Trenton that is for sale in South central Kentucky, I believe it is one of the German made ones looking at the pics in AIA. The anvil looks like it is in decent shape and has a lot of life left in it. I haven't checked ring or rebound because I wasn't interested in another anvil that my wife would ask "Why do WE need another anvil?" "Why do you have 3 horses to ride, you can only ride one at a time" Is my usual reply, but she doesn't see the parallel. Hummm...hot steel on horse's head, swak with hammer, maybe not, I like the horses...

The anvil is priced high at 425, which may have a little wiggle room, but not sure.