I Forge Iron

Hardy hole shears?

Admanfrd

I went a-looking in cowboy country and found a man who had a pair of "Shears made for a hardy hole". he wanted $200.00 for them. they were about 2 feet long and VERY tight. Are they actually for an anvil hardy? or for shearing monster sheep with steel wool? if they are, what are they for? Thanks! (sorry for no pictures :/)

There are shears with hardie shanks on the lower lever. Without pics it's impossible to day exactly what's what, but the class of tool is not imaginary :)

As to their usage; they are usually metal shears for bigger or tougher stock. The anvil provides a heavy solid support for you to lean into when cutting. If the action is really tight they might just need some TLC

Often a stem mount sheer would be used in a nice heavy thick wood table. The table would have holes to except many different tool shanks. Heavy shears were found in tin smith shops, blacksmith shops, silver and goldsmiths, book binding shops, coppers shops, and any other shop where a craftsman needed to cut stiff material.

Using the stem in a firm mounted anvil should work just fine.

Many tools that people find that are iron and steel are automatically dreamed "blacksmith" tools. When often they came from some other shop.

They are like big, black, heavy tin snips with a very tight, yet workable jaw. no rust, black coating, like they were in a museum or something. will i buy them? no. I don't have any money currently and my birthday money budget was blown on an anvil and stuff. thanks for the info!

Ok I measured my shears today. They are 36 inch long and looks just like the two photos above. The blades are 8 inch long.

I was reasonably able to cut 1/16 inch mild steel. I would not want to cut any thicker. Would probably work better to use this tool with two people, one person for power and the other to hold the piece being cut.

One if the books I have shows a set of shears made from dirt sraper blade. Fits the hardy and is used to hot cut material. Reminiscent of a paper shear.

This type of shear is made to cut metal hot, can cut tough and or thick metal and is operated by hammering directly on the shear blade. Definitely an underused tool which is readily built by almost anyone. Pretty sure Charles Mcraven documents construction in his blacksmith book, 

The shears this thread are about are sheetmetal shears. I have a big set and they have pretty small capacity, possibly 1/16, maybe less. I almost never use them. I do have a B-3 though, so I really have no use for them.