I Forge Iron

Post vise needs help

coldironkilz

Good Morning,

If you are going to clean it the Electrolysis way, here is a link Bad link removed

When you are resurrecting a piece of Bish, slow going and patience, works. If you get in a hurry, something will break.

A trick that I do is to replace the thrust washer on the threaded section (I actually add to it) with a Throw Out Bearing (a replaceable roller thrust bearing, from  Clutch Assembly). Talk to your local mechanic and ask him to save some of the old Clutch Parts for you. Be patient, they don't replace a Clutch Assembly every day.

Neil

Electrolysis is definitely the way to do.  A large tupperware box can be bought at wallyworld, often sold as storage trunks and the like.  I use rebar for my anodes simply because it's cheap and easy to get scraps of.

The best part is that you can always use the trunk for it's intended purpose once the job is done!

Posted · Hidden by Steve Sells, January 19, 2014 - problem corrected
Hidden by Steve Sells, January 19, 2014 - problem corrected

Good Morning,

If you are going to clean it the Electrolysis way, here is a link http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp  I have done this before and it works well in a plastic garbage can. Borax soap from the local grocery store (same as used for flux, 20 Mule Team). Use a trickle charger for the power source and use a piece from your scrap pile for the annode. This will remove the rust, it may or may not free it up.

When you are resurrecting a piece of Bish, slow going and patience, works. If you get in a hurry, something will break.

A trick that I do is to replace the thrust washer on the threaded section (I actually add to it) with a Throw Out Bearing (a replaceable roller thrust bearing, from  Clutch Assembly). Talk to your local mechanic and ask him to save some of the old Clutch Parts for you. Be patient, they don't replace a Clutch Assembly every day.

Neil

tried your link and got a 403 and 404 error......

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /electrol.asp  I have done this before and it works well in a plastic garbage can. Borax soap from the local grocery store (same as used for flux, 20 Mule Team). Use a trickle charger for the power source and use a piece from your scrap pile for the annode. This will remove the rust, it may or may not free it up. on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.26 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_fcgid/2.3.6 Sun-ONE-ASP/4.0.3 Server at antique-engines.com Port 80

The upside down way of mounting can be purposeful if the leg vise is attached to a wooden bench top. The three or four bolt attachment holes can pierce the bench and be counterbored at the top to keep the bench clear of the mounting plate. So, when installed, is it upside down or just a different, perhaps better way?

This method of attachment to a workbench is shown and talked about in the excellent book, With Hammer in Hand by Charles F. Hummel, page 203.

My first post vice I found in an old barn for $40. It had no mount, no spring and was completely seized. I spent every evening for a month spraying every concoction of rust penetrator on it. At the end of the month it was still locked up and smelled a bit weird. I eventually got tired of making dead spots in my lawn and threw the whole thing on my forge, covered it with coal, and roasted it for a bit. Once the joint was a dull red, I persuaded it open with a small sledge. I really can't tell you for sure if the rust busters did not help as they might have. But judging from the scale that dropped out of the joint when persuading, I don't think they did much.

The real way to go is that electrolysis setup. There is not really much involved in setting the tank up and making it work. There is also lots of information out there to help setup one up. If I were faced with the same challenge as I had before, with the knowledge I now have about electrolysis, I would choose the electrolysis method hands down for beating rust and freeing up anything that is rusted.

• 4 weeks later...

RogueRugger, I have been wetting the vice with PB blaster on each occasion I am in the forge. I haven't taken any further steps as yet. We are still in winter and water in the shop freezes overnight if left. Still no change in the jaws (they will not open). I will keep working on it. Would you share your pictures and experiences on this thread as I continue to monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know, Cold, you bring up an interesting query.

Water in your shop freezes at night because it's cold..... But we're not talking about water.

Will water freeze if there's an electric current and washing soda in it?  What's the science on that?   Of course, I won't be able to experiment on that for another year as our winter is officially over down here!

VaughnT, I don't know the answer to your query. I assumed based on one of the video's (see post #11)that the water would freeze. I don't think the solution we speak of is acidic therefore it would freeze. But let me stop there as we are way beyond my pay grade.

• 1 year later...