I Forge Iron

Show me a project from your to do notebook

What projects are in your *to do* notebook?  You do have a note book don't you?

Drawings, sketches, photos, etc for stuff you want to make.

Small, large, or OH YEA I can do that. Can be tools, forges, that work table you saw, anvil tools, etc, or animal heads, plant stands, end tables, bed headboards, gates, railings, etc. Maybe it was that cow bell, after all it is YOUR notebook. 

Not that you made it, just that you want to ,,, someday,,, if you can get around to it.

Pull one that you want to do and show it to us. We need ideas cause spring will be here in a few weeks. (grin)

One of the things I want to try is an incense stick holder. I can see it made from 1/4 x 1-1/2 x 12 inch metal (or so) depending on how much metal it takes for the curve and other things. The base is flat with 3 feet. These can be depressions in the edges made with a hammer. The working end will have a curve and a small hole to hold the incense stick, and as it burns the ash will fall onto the base. Maybe a cup to the base to hold the ash better, or even thin out and elevate (roll up) the edges on the side.

From there it is just decoration. Maybe a fish tail scroll on the non-working end. Use a chisel and decorate the metal. The details are endless. 

ok, majorly disappointed in the scanner right now, but heres a couple of pages from mine.  one is a pattern for some leaf hooks intended to be for scarves, belts and things of that nature for my mom's recently remodeled closet.  the other is a sketch of what I want the hinges to look like on a cabinet/bar my fiancé and I built a few years ago and never installed the doors =/

all the rest of my drawings have so much illegible annotation all over them they are just not pleasant to look at, these ones are mostly pictorial :)

sorry, scans are white on white and impossible to see

pic 1

====

post-26562-0-93688300-1389234997_thumb.j

====

pic 2

====

post-26562-0-26927200-1389235007_thumb.j

====

Mostly tools in my notebook, like a homemade multi jawed post vice, propane forge and a open design smithin magician (i was in advanced art in hs so im pretty goog at drawing) . Also several drawings of knives and some hand tools. Got alot of pics in various files on my smartphone containing pics and plans of tools, knives, fp screens and accessories, desk art, bbq tools and well id bore y'all if i went on.

Well, my latest obsession/compulsion is a diy post-vise. I'm not gonna try to forge braze my own screw threads, lol. I am not that adventurous... or skilled. I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. The majority of it is planned to be made from several pieces of railroad track I have. There are only two parts to be welded, the jaws. The jaws will be 6", with a 6" throat and about 8-9" of opening. My estimates are that it should end up around 150 to 170 lbs. I already have most of the parts. Will be using an adjustable scaffold foot for the screw. It has about a 3-4 tpi. I have a LOT of porta-band work ahead of me.

post-28530-0-29543800-1389239946_thumb.j

post-28530-0-77418900-1389239984_thumb.j

:)  my notebook is a folder of pictures I save to my computer.    A lot of inspiration from this site!

Pretty much what I do. Any time I see something that interests me I'll save the pict to a folder on the computer for future reference.

I generally don't put pen to paper until I'm actually ready to begin working on something and need to work out details.

Well, my latest obsession/compulsion is a diy post-vise. I'm not gonna try to forge braze my own screw threads, lol. I am not that adventurous... or skilled. I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. The majority of it is planned to be made from several pieces of railroad track I have. There are only two parts to be welded, the jaws. The jaws will be 6", with a 6" throat and about 8-9" of opening. My estimates are that it should end up around 150 to 170 lbs. I already have most of the parts. Will be using an adjustable scaffold foot for the screw. It has about a 3-4 tpi. I have a LOT of porta-band work ahead of me.

Look through the arizona artost blacksmith association (aaba) newsletters called the anvils horn, 2 of the issues have plans on a DIY post vice

My wife and I found this old boar tusk in a box of her grandfather's things. I'm inspired to try making a knife using it for the handle. It's a bit ambitious for a first blade, but hopefully with judicious referencing of the posts on here from the notable experts... I'll be able to make something worthy of a memorial piece. Shoot, I may even make it a double 'first' and try a simple scrimshaw on it.

Added: If it comes out like I drew it, the blade from tip to start of handle will be 4" and measuring from the tip of the tusk straight to the end of the tusk is 5".

I do my AutoCAD in an old, "stand alone" Computer, that's not networked with this one,.

So, "importing" drawings is a bit of a problem.

But anyway, ... my next "fun" project, ... is a "New Bedford" Style Harpoon, ... and then a Bear Trap.

Both peices are intended as "wall hangers" for my office.

Dogsoldat:

Those look very interesting. Is it possible to hammer with something like those? Does your foot suppose to give the hitting force? I don't understand it.

My projects in the notebook are these:

1. Tools to make:

spring double-fuller (hardy hole tool); mild steel anvil-plate (hardy hole tool); couple of drifts and chisels; poor copy of Brian Brazeal's ultimate tongs.

2. Tools to repair, modify:

cold cut hardie restauration, sledge hammer head repair and modification, 4# hammer head modification

3. Nice things to make:

coat rack from scrap flat stock, I'm no artist in drawing, so I only hope you can see what I think:

post-48601-0-46543400-1389949347_thumb.j

Bests

Gergely

I told my brother the other day that I needed to put my forge blower on a foot pedal speed control. I wanted to have two hands on my work while dynamically varying the airflow. I found one concise reference on IFI by K. Bryan Morgan:

But Brother John was way ahead of me:

cleardot.gif

post-49427-0-47569500-1390151233_thumb.j

0190.pdf

There is much more to this, Never tell John you want to do something. He just goes nuts.  On my way down the hill to fabricate the foot pedal/control linkage.

Unlike a standard Shop Vac Monster, this thing is designed to run at the bottom end of the power curve, and thus, hopefully, will be Very Quiet!!

Will keep you posted,

Robert Taylor

I'm seeing some cool stuff on here Glenn, thanks for starting  a Neato Thread.

If you like this you may want to visit the rest of the site (grin). Oh yes, pack a lunch and a cold drink before you start your journey. (BIG GRIN)  We try to keep something new on the site each time you log in, so you can divide your time between keeping up and catching up. 

iforgeiron makes me smarter!

Glenn, I have spent so much time reading posts on this forum, you might think that I am putting my marriage at risk,  but for the fact that:

Not to brag (but I guess that's what I'm doing) but my wife is pretty tolerant of my affliction:

post-49427-0-72059200-1389729400_thumb.j post-49427-0-64545400-1389729308_thumb.j

just a lucky guy, I guess.