I Forge Iron

Propane Tank

Hey all,

Did a quick search and didn't come up with much, so thought I would throw this question out there. I have a 500 gallon propane tank that has been sitting on my property for a long time. It has paint on it and next to no rust. I haven't cut into it yet because I am trying to decide on what to do with it. It seems to be very thick steel but not 100% sure. Has anyone messed with using a propane tank like that as stock or should I just get the scrap steel place to come haul it off? Any thoughts on whether its worth cutting up and forging or just scrap it? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

DW

Back in High School I took a shop class.  One day I noticed a piece of plywood in the cealing and inquired to the shop teacher as to why it was there.  Seemed a student brought a propane tank in to make a Bar-b-que pit and began to cut on it.  The tank went through the shop roof and ended up in the football practice field.  It is very dangerous to cut on propane tanks.  Done wrong you could end up on an episode of "A Thousand Ways To Die". 

Thanks JM. The only reason I'm considering it is because it has been sitting out there for 10 plus years and the valves have been off. Unless I am missing something and they can retain combustion for a extended period. Perhaps I just work out a deal with the scrap yard owner and see if we can trade some steel.

Stick a garden hose in it, and fill'er up.

Then you can cut, weld, grind or whatever suits your fancy.

That's how we weld gas tanks.  ( and it's the ONLY safe way )

Add some dish washing soap with the water. Drain the tank then refill and cut away.

I am gonna echo what others have said because it can't be said enough (sorry for the redundancy but)...FILL IT UP WITH DISH SOAP AND WATER BEFORE TRYING TO CUT!!!!  The water and soap mixture will dilute any liquid in the tank as well as force any lingering gasses out as the water level rises. I have heard too many stories of people getting seriously hurt trying to cut or weld on tanks, even empty ones. There can still be just enough gas in there to put the hurt on you. As far as the steel composition of these tanks, I have heard that some are made from 4130 chromoly, but i'm not sure for propane...

-Crazy Ivan

Greeting DW,

Cutting into and tank is serious business...  I have cut sections of 16 in thick wall pipe and when the stress was relieved it went of like a 45.  Also prepare yourself for the stink..  They add some pretty stinky stuff to propane and handling it you are sure to get some on you...  Good Luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Why not put it on Craig's List? Take that money and buy scrap or stock or a huge pile of Twinkies :)

I am currently searching for a large propane tank for outside the shop. Tired of dragging the bottles back and forth as they get emptied out in the forge.

I would come look if you weren't so far away!

Dave

Thanks all. I'm gonna give the scrap yard a call I think. See if I can get a good trade on a bunch of flat stock and round stock. Thought about putting it up on craigslist too but I think it would need some work with adding new gauge/valves. The ends would be nice though for other projects..... At any rate thanks for the input.

***  DANGER !!!   I disagree with smootBore  Just filling a tank with water can not be enough at times 

!!! YOU can trap fumes inside = AIR pocket / explosive fumes , a baffle or other things can cause this air pocket   

you think you're safe when youre NOT ! and BOOM if you find that FUME pocket ,

though all that water will put out any fire's around :<(

Cutting or welding on tanks is not a job for most folks !!!  Unless you KNOW what your doing & are set up to do it Safely

Rule #1 your first mistake WILL be your last one !! you don't get a second chance !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Rule # 2 IT can go BOOM !!! get my point !

I do cut tanks when I have to ! its not something I prefer to do ! its not worth the risks ! even done right !

and I don't tell folks how to cause of the risks!!  & they don't listen or have Eqt that I have or the no how !

PS that being said I still DON'T like cutting or welding on gas tanks or such ! If you go Boom you don't get paid so why LOL

STEVE'S Welding & Fab

The odorant is "mercaptain" oil and being a tarry oil, sticks to the tank after a few years. Fill it with water and add a gallon or two of Chlorox bleach to deodorize. The propane won't absorb into the steel and will be displaced by the water.

While cutting any tank that contained flammable gas can't be made completely safe there are a LOT of things more dangerous than propane. Fuel oil being the most dangerous, not counting certain rocket fuels.

I'd send it to the scrapper and shop for easier to use stock. That's just me though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Talked to the scrapper and seems they pay a hefty penny for them. I just need to get it there. They hooked me up with a brake rotor and some other scraps so I can start building my forge. Got 1/2 plate steel for the hearth....over kill I think but that's all I could find.

If you can get some 1/2" plate for the hearth table, you don't need a brake drum for the forge.  My first forge was a sheet of thick metal (maybe 3/16") with a grate of 1/2" over a hole where the air came through.  No need for a fire pot at all, and a lot of the old Buffalo forges were made without pots.  It's very handy to be able to control the size and shape of the fire with a flat-bottomed forge!

I recently cut up a small 200 ltr tank and must admit it wasn't a pleasant experience.

First off I opened the valve and drained off any vapor, then fxed an airline to my compressor and blew it out for a while.

Then filled with soapy water and drained.

After cutting with bum cheeks firmly clenched I must admit I was disappointed with the results. The inside was in a horrible state, it seemed heavily corroded and kinda thick with a stinking tar deposit.

Residue from the gas I guess.

Not a nice experience and not worth the bother especially for a tank the size your talking about.

Hope this helps you make up your mind!! Good luck with whatever you decide.