I Forge Iron

Goodbye everyone, scrapping forge!

Captaincrash

I've tried to find supplies to get my forge running and have hit so many dead ends from companies who can't be bothered for such a small thing, I have made a tough decision to eliminate this point of stress from my life! I will say goodbye to my little forge in the morning, I have some scrap to take to the yard and it will be part of the load! I will also say goodbye to all of you, and a genuine thank you for your help and inspiration in the short time I have been a part of this forum.

Sorry to hear you giving up.  Part of 'smithing is persiverance.  It teaches patience.  If one can't get through a small problem like building a forge, making something from iron and steel will never happen.  If I've learned one thing, there is more than one way to "skin a cat".  My first forge was made from a brake drum and wheel barrow.  I didn't have anyone to show me how to do it, nor help in any way.  If your dream is to make things the only one holding you back is you.  Good luck.

Sorry to hear you giving up.  Part of 'smithing is persiverance.  It teaches patience.  If one can't get through a small problem like building a forge, making something from iron and steel will never happen.  If I've learned one thing, there is more than one way to "skin a cat".  My first forge was made from a brake drum and wheel barrow.  I didn't have anyone to show me how to do it, nor help in any way.  If your dream is to make things the only one holding you back is you.  Good luck.

I made many things on this forge when it was working and have persevered through several difficult projects. Yes there were many ways to accomplish the task that was before me and all these were tried and pursued. I came to the end of the road so to speak and was faced with many directions and all lead me to a dead end so I've decided to turn around and head back if you will. Like you my first forge was a brake drum and hair dryer but I think it's time I explored other avenues to occupy my time. Like I said, I appreciate this forum and all the information I was able to obtain through it.

Still loving my brake drum. Supposedly after you make your first forge already planning the next. I'm not other than adding a side draft chimney. Don't give up so easily, just start simple n don't complicate things

Still loving my brake drum. Supposedly after you make your first forge already planning the next. I'm not other than adding a side draft chimney. Don't give up so easily, just start simple n don't complicate things

Believe me, I've been trying to make this happen for quite a while. I've sent so many emails I would hate to guess the number. I've received only two replies and both were to say they couldn't provide what I was looking for. I've made some difficult projects and let me tell you, none of them tested me as much as finding supplies in Canada for my forge! I only came on here to thank you all and I will leave it at that.

Believe me, I've been trying to make this happen for quite a while. I've sent so many emails I would hate to guess the number. I've received only two replies and both were to say they couldn't provide what I was looking for. I've made some difficult projects and let me tell you, none of them tested me as much as finding supplies in Canada for my forge! I only came on here to thank you all and I will leave it at that.

Hi Neighbor........I would agree that finding specific parts for many hobbies in Canada may be somewhat difficult and at time's very limited.......maybe before you go, ask in this post what you were looking for and maybe somebody can help. I'm not sure if buying a forge is in your cards or not to perhaps leep over your current dilemma but I just found a beauty of a coal forge for $100, perfect shape , ready to fire.........I'm never in a rush to buy anything and every so often a great deal or 2 or 3 come along.........hope you change your mind and giver again......if you'd rather p.m. me, please do, who knows maybe we can find what your looking for.......there are many members on here I'm sure that would be willing to help or assist.    

Sorry to lose you!
Might I suggest asking the body at large to help you sorce parts and materials? Many times folks here have found and shipped things to other smithes. Refractories, steel, coke (industrial not Columbian) hammers,, hardies.... Just to name a few.
What parts can't you find? Gas forges can be made several ways, at atmospheric forges take a high presher regulator ( order from a blacksmith, farrier or welding supply) and can be insulated with ceramic wool, castable refractory (home brew or comercial) or soft fire bricks. Can't find a regulator? Go blown, that dosnt cut it, then go old school, plenty of wood in Canida, and I bet there is a hair drier in a bathroom nere you!
Partner just ask, some one will offer to help.

If you live near Hamilton I can pass info to you where you can buy coal there. If you live around Guelph Thak Ironworks also supplies coal.
You can buy coal more expensively through a local home hardware as well.
If solid fuel is too diffcult for you, you can always run propane.

Also, do not scrap your forge. Make is presentable and you should get at least $100 for it on Kijiji, instead of $10 at the scrap yard.

Read this for the Hamilton Coal
'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

i looked at some of your posts and it seems possibly your looking for a forge liner...most farrier supply stores will sell replacement liners for the forges the sell...most here where i live carry the NC line of forges ie: whisper daddy etc ..im pretty sure you can take a internal measurement of your forge and find a replacement liner thats a lil bigger than yours and make it fit... then use until you van find what your lookin for .... when i was younger the outfit i was working for was going to ship me and my crew to assemble a vertical heater
for a refinery in ontario..so im thinkin thlere has to be a refactory installer somewhere in that town..try goin to back gate and talk to the the guy in charge of the tools and material he can hook you up with what you need...if that dont work pm me and ill drive to my guy and get you what you need as ive been working with them for years fitting super 88 steam generators ..they drop to the ground and tread on more material than youll ever need so its easy to get here. itc 100 is another story...but people order that fairly easy ..so is giving up

Should your heart no longer be in it then I wish you fair winds and following seas. 

If there is a spark of hope still glowing, and it sounds like there is, then don't give up unless you have a solid reason to do so. There are many here that will help to kindle that spark into a hot forge fire again. As several others have offered, list things that you need. Somehow they will make their way to where you are. 

There will always be a warm fire for you to sit at here at IFI. No need to wander out into the cold. But if you need to go, remember you are always welcome back.

Mark <><

I'm sorry to hear you're giving it up for something like this. you ought to try getting supplies in Alaska, we have to ship everything in and some of our guys can only get supplies by having it shipped to Anchorage or Fairbanks then air taxied out. If nothing else, brake drums are all over the place, just make the tuyere with a bolt flange and replace the drums as they burn out.

Sorry, I forget things now; are you really past looking for solutions? Don't even want to hang out and keep up with friends? Won't even ask someone here to flat rate a couple lbs. of fire clay to you?

I wish you good fortune and sincerely hope you find something worth really going for.

All the best,

Frosty The Lucky.

for someone who's persued all avenues I find it strange that he only has 8 posts....

sucks that you're throwing in the towel, but to each their own. happy travels. and my the road be ever in front of you.

Don't mistake my low post count for lack of trying! I guess my heart isn't in it or I would be on here begging for help. I try to buy everything I can from local businesses and the response I've gotten from these has been shocking at best. Ive emailed several big suppliers and manufactureres with the same reception. When they realize I'm not talking huge amounts of money they lose interest. If its always this difficult to find supplies.......I'll find love in a new hobby that I can readily obtain what I need. Thanks for all the concern over my decision but clearly, I've lost the love of the hobby/craft and its better that I move on.

Good luck in whatever you do.  I clearly understand you have made up your mind.  I would suggest keeping the forge if you have room because you never know in a future non-blacksmithing project when you might need  to heat something up and that old forge you threw away would have been perfect for the job.  You never know what lies ahead.  Again, Good luck.  

If it's not for you then it's great you recognized it early----pass anything you have on to someone else; perhaps forging will turn out to be *their* hobby.  Good luck in finding one that's a "fit" for you! Far better to give it up now before you have sunk more time and money into it!

We have a member here who started blacksmithing in college---on a student's budget and while living in a dorm.  He overcame all obstacles and is still active now with a wife and kids and a job (and a bigger power hammer then me the rat!)  (I've said that getting him into blacksmithing was like throwing gasoline on a fire!)

Good luck in whatever you do.  I clearly understand you have made up your mind.  I would suggest keeping the forge if you have room because you never know in a future non-blacksmithing project when you might need  to heat something up and that old forge you threw away would have been perfect for the job.  You never know what lies ahead.  Again, Good luck.

The forge has no lining, the search for the material is what started me thinking this may not be for me....not much point in keeping it in this state so it's in the back of my pickup waiting to go to its final resting place!

Regular fire brick, cat liter and builders sand, there are lots of things to use as refractory material, dirt if nothing else. I can understand your frustration though, I have some rather bad health issues so I sold off most all of my smithing equipment since there was no use just sitting and staring at it right. Well, I do hope you find another outlet for your energies, go with God.

asking local businesses for help was not the best way, asking here would have got you a solution easily and quickly and probably much cheaper.

a few years ago I was after something, ball bearings and big ones at that, I wanted to place an order worth about 1000 uk pounds ( about 1500 Us$ ) and spent 6 months searching.

no one wanted to deal with such a small order and after checking all around the UK, europe and then going further afield I found the nearest place that wanted to consider it was in Prague, 

Good luck and take care Captaincrash.

If you ever change your mind, and want to get back into smithing, you should check out OABA.  There are a lot of good people there, who can easily direct you to the resources you're having trouble finding on your own.

That's to bad that your giving it up man. But, if your heart isn't in it then nothing will make it as much fun as it should be. I have some rage issues to put it lightly so I can relate to the frustration thing. I absolutely hate trying to find something locally, it's very frustrating and smokey always costs me twice as much plus a lot of list time.

Instead if scrapping the forge, throw it on a local classified site. I'm sure some new smith out there is trying to source out something to make his first forge with.