I Forge Iron

285 lb D.C. Cumings vise, 8" jaw and a wheel

bl00

I bought a drill press from a guy who was also selling this big vise.  I didn't need it, so I passed the info to a friend who purchased it.  Has anyone seen one of these before?  The wheel on the bottom is made to work with your foot to keep the jaws parallel.  The attached PDF has the patent info that shows how all the parts are supposed to work.

post-24576-0-19635200-1367888276_thumb.j

post-24576-0-00102300-1367888293_thumb.j

post-24576-0-73864300-1367888295_thumb.j

post-24576-0-83733400-1367888297_thumb.j

post-24576-0-81493800-1367888299_thumb.j

Patent info Cumings vise.pdf

That is very interesting.  Where in the world are you?  There are a (very) few parallel jaw blacksmith vises out there, the Fisher chain drive/double double screw vise being the most common of a rare breed.  There have been one or two other types that have shown up here on IFI, another member from here in Vermont posted photos of his unusual one in a few posts on the Vises section.  

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/26246-all-i-can-say-is-amazing/page-2#entry324673

I seem to recall one or perhaps two other unique off name vises that were designed to close in parallel but retained their leg vise origins.  

That one seems to have a large gap around the upper front washer and the body of the forging.  Is the handle and screw original or perhaps missing a thrust washer?

In looking at it closely i would suggest that major portions are castings?  Anyone else agree?

I'm in Virginia, but the vise was from just north of Harrisburg, PA.  It's out in Kansas now.  The patent info on the PDF has a good line drawing that shows what's missing from the screw/handle area.

It was tough walking away from it.  On one hand I knew I'd never see another one.  On the other hand I really don't need it and would be buying it for hoarding purposes more than need.  I told my friend who bought it that the whole drive home I felt like I just broke up with a girlfriend.  I was second guessing myself the whole way.

Certainly would increase the pressure you could apply with that bottom adjustment, quite a nice addition to the tool.

Yes, using the bottom screw as a secondary clamping device rather than just as a jaw pivot aligner you would be able to get 5 or 6 to one leverage, brilliant.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you start getting things just because they are "NEAT" then your shop/house/yard quickly fills up to where you can't do anything.

You done right---enjoy having seen it and then pass it on to someone who will cherish it.

Perhaps the good book should have included "Thou shalt not covet your neighbors Anvil, Postvise, Powerhammer...

If you start getting things just because they are "NEAT" then your shop/house/yard quickly fills up to where you can't do anything.

You done right---enjoy having seen it and then pass it on to someone who will cherish it.

Perhaps the good book should have included "Thou shalt not covet your neighbors Anvil, Postvise, Powerhammer...

Ditto

• 3 weeks later...