I Forge Iron

Art guild notification!

I am pleased to announce that Dave Custer and Fiery Furnace Forge Blacksmith LLC has officially been accepted into the Kentucky Guild of Artists and Craftsmen.

I submitted five pieces to be juried. I received the juror's comments and checklist in my acceptance letter. I received a high rating in every technique, finish, and design category except one. ("High rating" meaning it was checked as a "strong point" instead of "develop further.")  The one was brazing and as I did not submit any brazed pieces, that category simply received a N/A. (not applicable)

I also received several hand written comments. All of them praised my level of detail and attention to finish and technique. One comment suggested the handle on my hammer be larger towards the back more like store bought handles, but I suppose that is more a personal preference. (I like my handle straight in profile all of the way down.)

Once again, I would like to thank all of you guys for the support you've given me thus far in all of my endeavors. This forum has played a large roll in getting me to where I am now and in reaching this milestone. You guys are great! It is an honor to be a part of this forum! Thanks!

Here are pics of the five pieces I submitted.

DSC09368_zpsbe4604af.jpg

DSC09344_zpsf5eb617e.jpg

DSC09376_zps5e51b421.jpg

DSC09417_zpsbddf6c2f.jpg

DSC09434_zps32a3a615.jpg

Congrats Dave,

This is acknowledgement that peers accept your ability. It has been my pleasure to watch some of your projects and skill progress to such a high level.

And congrats to your family and close friends for giving you support you needed for this well deserved ride.

Carry on

David Gaddis

Congratulations Dave! It's really good to see the art guild recognizes true artistry. I've been saying for some time now you're a comer. It's an honor to know you and if I've been able to be some help I'm truly honored.

The handle comment is subjective opinion, we all have them. As to making the end larger like a store bought handle try not to take that like it sounds. I make my handles spread towards the end with a round bulge at the very end, I stole the idea from Uri Hofi's hammer handles and improved on it. <grin> My handles and Uri's are slab handles but both are larger at the back like "store bought."

As we all know, it's really easy to write something, post it and THEN discover it doesn't read like we intended. Heck, I do that all the time I just don't find out till later. Oh well. <grin>

Frosty The lucky

Thanks guys!

Wayne and Jonathan: Are you guys coming to the hammer in we're hosting in Scottsville at the end of the month?

Tenn Clif: If you live in Tennessee or Kentucky you should consider coming to the hammer in too. 

PM me with your email addresses if you're interested in coming. I believe the date is March 23rd.