I Forge Iron

What are "clinkers"

at times during a forging session, you rake through the fire to remove any hardened clumps of assorted trash that mysteriously accumulates to clear the way for the air to get to the coal to burn.  Several theories have been proposed to explain this phenomonon (sp).  Perhaps one of the most widely held beliefs is that a Dragon sneaks by when your head is turned away from the fire and snots into the firepot.  That is what is found as a clinker.  A few think that a clinker is just the residue from burning coal, but they are a minority methinks.        :)

When a singer hits a sour note, it's called a clinker.

The other kind which results from a coal fire can be used in a few ways. They can be sold at renaissance fairs as dragon caca. Clinkers are used to pave driveways. A few of the old Farmers' Almanacs recommended putting a clinker in the corner of your tilled garden before planting, and it was supposed to aid in plant growth and health.

Clinker is the stuff in solid fuel that is not fuel and does not burn. It melts and collects in the bottom of the forge. Let the fire cool for a minute or so and it can be picked out, usually as a single piece of clinker.  

Get a good solid fuel fire going and throw in a double hand full of sand and dirt. You WILL have clinker in short order. Just pick it out, add more fuel and keep forging. 

About the only use I have ever found for clinkers is traction material when it is icey.  It works much better than kitty litter or sand.  It's unaffected by moisture and is sharper and has bigger fragments than sand.  Really fine crushed rock works well but clinker is available to us and cheap.  60 or 70 years ago practically everyone had clinkers because nearly everyone had coal furnaces.  Now, we're about the only ones with access to it or even know what it is.

However, if you throw it on the sidewalk you'll have to sweep it up again in the spring.  I keep a can of it in my vehicles during the winter months along with the rest of my "blizzard kit".

Gritily,

George M.

You can put them in a bowl and pour a mix of laundry bluing ammonia and salt to make a depression garden. Basically salt crystals. By adding drops of food coloring in different spots it will change the color of the crystals. Just do not do it on your wife's new kitchen counters.

Great suggestion George! I never thought of using clinker for traction, but threw a pail of it in the back of my truck after I read this. And wouldn't you know it, a friend of mine got her car stuck this evening ... It worked wonderfully! Much more effective than kitty litter or gravel, and much lighter too. I'm so happy to finally have a 'use' for this garbage!

I  have found clinker to be a superior material for filling pot-holes in our gravel driveway. It packs beautifully and proves durable.

I've heard tales of folk cleaning the larger ones with LPA, spraying them with urathane, and selling them at ren-faires as "dragon dung."

Welcome aboard Ah 1988, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header you may be pleasantly surprised to discover how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. If a bunch start bringing you clinkers please feel free to throw rocks at them.

Clinker is good on icy driveways in more ways than one, first it's good and scratchy so tires grip well but it's also not a neutral PH so it tends to melt ice for a double good thing when it's slick.

It's good fill being largely glassy stuff and compacts very nicely and keys in excellenty. Keying in is a road, foundation, etc. design term for fill that is angular enough the bits fit together and don't pass by easily, like jigsaw puzzle pieces or a key in a lock.

You can pull it out of the fire while it's still semi-molten and stick things to it, say stainless findings, say for: ear ring, loops and hooks, tie tacks, necklaces, etc. I really like the "dragon poop" that's going into MY product line. <grin> Oh heck, you could bill it as petrified caveman smoker's lung pieces. Or. . . Be imaginative and tell us what you come up with.

It isn't so good as a concrete aggregate though, cement doesn't like sharp aggregate as much as smooth and clinker isn't PH neutral enough for cement either. Oh well it isn't good for everything. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 11 months later...