I Forge Iron

How to destroy a yellow jackets ground nest?

Glenn

How do you destroy a yellow jackets ground nest?

I found it when cutting tall grass with the lawn mower and they got in 4 direct hits and at least 3-4 near misses. They also claimed the tractor as theirs in the first round, ok I abandoned the tractor and let them have it temporarily and will repo the tractor after they settle down a bit.

The ground nest consists (from my experience) of several layers of brood chambers maybe 9-12 inches below the ground level. It resembles an above ground hornets nest without the protective outer cover, as it is under ground.

I would like suggestions on how to apply a knock out punch to them when the bell rings for round two. It is my intent to kill them, not relocate them. Thanks in advance.

Shop vac. turn it on and place the hose very near the enterance. Leave it run. Return about an hour later. The guards will be sucked up and many of the workers, so approaching will be easier. They will try attacking the hose and the vibrations will keep them coming. The dust and trip through the vacuum hose should kill the critters, but not immediately. Send about a tablespoon of boric acid up the vac before shutting it off if you are concerned about their survival. Don't empty the vac for a couple hours in case of survivors.

This is not a knock out treatment, it is just a treatment to make it easier to approach to apply a knock out treatment.

I have never tried this on big yellow jackets, but it works a treat on the little gound bees I sometimes get (about 1/2 inch from head to stinger). A tablespoon of boric acid into the nest and a shovel of dirt on top of the entrances has taken care of them for me after the vacuum treatment.

Phil

I once used a shop vac to take em out.........If you've got the nerve...... :unsure: ...... position the hose close to the hole then turn on the vac. They don't know anything's afoot until they get sucked up.......It takes awhile but after an hour or two nearly all of em come or go right up the Ol' wazoo. Then you're left with a shop vac full of very ....well you know.... :D .....A good long shot of juice and they're ready for the ash can........... B)

I once used a shop vac to take em out.........If you've got the nerve...... :unsure: ...... position the hose close to the hole then turn on the vac. They don't know anything's afoot until they get sucked up.......It takes awhile but after an hour or two nearly all of em come or go right up the Ol' wazoo. Then you're left with a shop vac full of very pis....well you know.... :D .....A good long shot of juice and they're ready for the ash can........... B)

I like the vac final solution. Last time I had one I used the weed burner set over the hole while at full blast. However that would do unkind things to your lawn.

I once used a shop vac to take em out.........If you've got the nerve...... :unsure: ...... position the hose close to the hole then turn on the vac. They don't know anything's afoot until they get sucked up.......It takes awhile but after an hour or two nearly all of em come or go right up the Ol' wazoo. Then you're left with a shop vac full of very pis....well you know.... :D .....A good long shot of juice and they're ready for the ash can........... B)

I have a 10 ft "wand" for my shop vac so I can clean the great room ceiling. Piece of PVC pipe and shop vac adapter from the big box.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_37045-20097-9068711_0__?productId=1085001&Ntt=vac+adapter&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dvac%2Badapter&facetInfo=
Phil

All good ideas. I have used the gasoline treatment successfully. However, I did have a nest close to the well and did not want to risk contamination with petrochemicals. I used several gallons of boiling water at dusk when they were all in the nest. That did the trick. - Good luck! - Doug Wilson

Best insecticide out there is Demon WP. It kills any insect but doesn't harm animals - you mix up a batch (2 bags per gallon of water is a good recipe for wasps). Wait until dark then soak the nest - the wasps think it's rain and won't react, 30 minutes later and anything that's gotten wet will be dead.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have used the shop vac suggestion before with good success, Those coming or going went into the black hole. After a couple hours, I put a bar into the hole and collected another batch, and even more with digging out the nest with a shovel. This nest is some distance from the house so electric is not near by.

I will try the gas, boric acid powder, etc tomorrow.

I call in a licensed pest control person, who applies the appropriate insecticidal dust.

We had a nasty, large, inground yellowjackets nest this summer. My 3 year old son managed to disturb it while playing in his sandbox. By the time I got to him and his sister (in response to their screaming), he'd been hit 12 times, and my 1 yr old daughter had 9. I was stung 14 times while rescuing them, two of those on my face, very close to my eye.

I contemplated nuking them with gasoline ... However, I've always been told that while its okay to deal with a visible, above ground near yourself - underground or in-the-wall nests are best left to a professional.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Neil

sevin dust after dark works like a champ. doesn't take much, just some around the entrance. as they die others drag them in to be eaten, and in turn die. usually done by the time i remember to look at them the next day.
no muss, no fuss, no stings.

mark

Watch the gas can. I did one recently with gas.Poured the gas in at dusk. Walked off 30 or 40 feet and sat the can down. Went back to the nest and dropped a match and the gas had soaked in deep and the fire crawled along the ground for about 15 feet. So make sure that can is way away when you hit the match.

Since my Mother is now VERY allergic after several lossing battles, I take care of her hornet nests.
I wait till dark, and walk in a slow smooth pace with a flashlight to identify the hole. As I pass over the hole I upend a long neck bottle and insert with maybe an fluid once or so of something that evaporates well. Can be alcohol, can be gas. I leave the bottle inserted, as it blocks the vapors from escaping. I then continue walking in a slow delibrate pace away from the nest. I averaged killing about 3-4 a year when she had the bigger place, about one a year now.
I have never had this fail, and I have never been stung excuting the nest. Been doing this for maybe 25 years.
Get a few over here at my place and they get the same treatment.

As an aside, WD-40 and the like are pretty good on wasp nests, and if sprayed in a fog the wasps can't fly thru the fog, their wings get too heavy and they go to the ground and die in a couple of minutes.

For tree hornets that are in a dangerous spot for attacks I use a 20 gage with about #9 shot from the distance that will have the full choked pattern homonigize the nest and contents. I then again walk away in a slow smooth manner and I have not been stung doing this either on maybe 20 nests over the years. Of course I am in the country, but that little shot is slowed by the nest and is very light coming back down.

bucket of soapy water. pour it in the hole. the soap does them by suffication. the shop vac works well also.

one tip on using gas/petro. don't light it. its way more deadly just left to fume out. nothing can breath the benzine fumes for long. also works great for ant hills. pour a circle about 10' in dia. around it and don't light it.

I'm an old caver (spelunker) and learned a long time ago that finely ground calcium carbide (welder's and spelunker lamp carbide) spread around the hole works fine for killing ants (in particular, fire ants) - and, incidently, most ground dwelling bugs. Obviously, calcium carbide - when exposed to moisture - forms acetylene gas. The carbide powder will be carried below surface into the dens/nests, will come in contact with ground moisture, and form the gas. If you think your soil doesn't contain enough moisture, set your sprinkler a couple days before leaving the carbide powder, and once the surface has dried, the critters will carry pieces of the powder underground. If you are concerned about birds picking up pieces of the carbide, don't worry. They, almost always, avoid the powder. By "almost always," I remember a robin picking up a piece of carbide from a pile which had been dumped (to be hauled away). The robin exploded! When finished, just pour some water on the remaining carbide and the resulting acetylene will be dispersed into the air.