I Forge Iron

Delehaye 165 hand made car body

woodsmith

The car build I have posted about over the last two years is nearing completion, it has been on a test drive, and has been sent out for paint and chrome, the car was built from scratch, the body being beaten by hand in our shop, including forming the grille shell, we also fabricated the doors, and hatches, windshield frame and mounted all latches and mechanisms. Thanks to all who have taken interest in this.523680_484206454923353_1880099044_n.jpg

delehay shop photo.rtf

that is absolutely Breathtaking!!!! what a fabulous job, it looks gorgeous! those wheel arches are fantastic, it all looks fantastic.... i cant make the links work for the process - this is the first ive seen of this project - i will try again when the connection is faster... wonderful wonderful project! :)

https://sites.google.com/site/coachsmithing/delahaye-165
Thanks. the website was updated agian so there is the new link. The body is all hand beaten gas welded alluminum (3003 series), engine is a Jag V12 with 4-2bbl Stromberg carbs and a turbo400 automatic behind it, suspension is late series Jaguar 4-wheel independent. If you look at our website you can get a look at the entire build and even an idea how we hammer formed the grille shell. If you look at the original car there was a ton of chrome trim the lights are added on top. That final completion is up to how much the customer wants to spend or how original he wants it to look. I did manage to make 4 hand forged parts on this car, just fender support rods, but still cool to get on the project.
Thanks again

This fuel filler door arm is the one hand forged part I did for our Ferrari build, by the time I had completed the hinge, spring, latch, arm and door, there is over a weeks worth of work in this one little part of the car. Not like you can go out and buy one though.
Thanks
Woodsmith

100_2325.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the many compliments,  Schilpr, I find your Delage restore most interesting, we rebuilt an original 39 Delehaye chassis  from a collection of pieces and many broken and missing parts in tin cans and a crate  from the Phillipines (what we call a basket case).  Do you have a website or photos up of your Delage Restoration?

That is breathtaking! Makes me wish I worked hard enough to earn and own a ride like that.

I looked (drooled) through the updated build pics and couldn't see the english wheel. You DID use an english wheel didn't you or is it all hand and maybe Pullmax work?

There should be a superhero driving to the rescue in a ride like that.

Frosty The Lucky.

Woodsmith,

Wonderful work there....very elegant.

Questions from the uninitiated.....do you keep some of the wooden form in the completed vehicle?

They seem a handy thing to have in pattern storage should another order come around.

I would be proud of that one.

Ric