I Forge Iron

What do you do with your scale?

Alan Evans

Does anybody have a good idea for using or disposing of oxide/scale?

The stuff I am talking about is what collects around the powerhammer anvil, especially when using a gas furnace.

I have done a bit of a search and could not find anything apart from possibly giving it to a potter to use in a glaze or adding it to the ballast in concrete.

If you have enough of it you could sell it to a paint manufacturer to use in metalic finish auto paint. One of the steel mills here in Newcastle has a fair sort of forge plant, they have a bobcat to clean up scale on the back shift, and they tell me it goes to paint manufacture.

I have used it as an abrasive, just rub the hand hammer face in it, and as a texturing medium if I want to lose a welded and or a ground surface, although depending on the subsequent finish I find a needle descaler brilliant for creating and blending a "hot scaled" looking surface.

I suppose I come somewhat closer to the odd tinful on the shelf than the bobcat loader bucket per shift, certainly not enough to warrant a trip to a paint manufacturer, but a bit too much to put in the household rubbish. I did start building up a pile beside the scrap heap, did wonder about putting it into the swarf bin and risk the wrath of the scrap dealer....

The leather dye and the quench idea sound interesting, will log those away for future reference

I use a mix of rennaissance wax and graphite for punch lubrication, but when punching under the hammer used to use the coke or coal dust as a release aid, more in faith than certainty, it still got stuck sometimes! I discovered the graphite and wax thing on behalf of a student I was helping hot punch aluminium which kept adhering to the punch and leaving ragged holes. It does tend to dry up in the pot and you need to keep thinning it down with white spirit but works well. I have just started mixing the graphite with Molyslip metal lubricant and that seems to stay liquid indefinitly, just doesn't smell as good when burning off!

I see scale as having energy in it. Positive energy. I have some at the bottom of my pile around the anvil that came from Yelin's shop. I never clean it down to the bare floor. I leave some energy there at all times around the anvil, vise and power hammer, and now press.

• 3 weeks later...

I smelt mine back into iron---it's the easiest iron ore to source---if you are a smith!
snip

I did not pick up on this first time around, could you enlarge on your smelting process? I was having a look and I suppose I have a builder's wheel barrow full, what sort of quantity out for energy in are we talking?

• 1 year later...