I Forge Iron

Bottle Opener

Daniel.85

I felt I had made enough S hooks and wanted to try to make something else. My first attempt at a bottle opener did not look so great, so I got a pen and paper and drew out a little plan, then made a second one, here is what came out.

I drew out the metal to about 9in long, scrolled one end and made a little flat tooth on the other, bent almost at the halfway point so that the tooth would be about half and inch from the end of the scroll. I then twisted the two together so that It would not be too springy and bend the bottom tooth upwards to get a little better grip on the cap.

2012-03-13163851.jpg

2012-03-13143847.jpg

NIce Job! I've not seen that design before. Is it a Daniel C original? I usually make mine by punching and drifting then end of a RR Spike, then dimpling the near side of the hole to catch the edge of the cap.

If you can duplicate these with any consistency, you should be able to sell them quite easily. The RR spike openers sell faster than I can make them, so I'll bet you would do well with this unusual design.

One suggestion might be to try a little heavier stock next time for even more rigidity beween the jaw and the scroll. Even so, great job!

Thanks! ya I thought it up when I was tinkering around, I guess the inspiration kinda came from the scrolls and twists I was doing with the hooks I had been making. It is a little springy, I will try to not draw down the stock so much, I was starting with 3/8 square.

another angle
2012-03-13163823.jpg

Looks good enough to sell Daniel. If you make the top scroll section and the lip lifter shorter it'll reduce the flex. A little refinement and I think you have a fast seller on your hands, folk really like bottle openers and cork screws.

Frosty The Lucky.

Isn't the old saying, Adopt, adapt, undersell?

I think Pete Fels is on here somewhere, maybe we can talk him into showing off some of his openers and you can try borrowing those ideas. They're beyond me.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...