I Forge Iron

STUPID !!!!!!! Wire wheel accident

If Jeff Foxworthy was here I would have my sign! :wacko:

Cleaning a part last night with a 6" wire wheel on my bench grinder (I know, I know, you never do that right?) anyway, there I was trying to be careful and then BAM!! in the twinkling of an eye I am a canidate for 7 stitches! So for those of you that have not heard this little warning....DO NOT HOLD PART IN HANDS WHILST BUFFING WITH A WIRE WHEEL ON BENCH GRINDER!

Picture of the part (still to be cleaned)

post-249-0-35457800-1330563018_thumb.jpg

Picture of 7 stitches!! (a little cleaning here won't hurt either....well, maybe a little :( )

post-249-0-33477500-1330563152_thumb.jpg

#1) Clamping the part in a vise and using a slow speed hand buffer with a cup brush. The rpm's of a hand buffer are MUCH slower than a hand grinder.
#2) cleaning with vinegar ( I actually thought about doing this but didn't want to clean after the vinegar soak!)
#3) Using a tumbler for small parts like this.
#4) Holding the part with a pair of visegrips
I'm sure there are a ton of other ways. Stupid just overwelmed me last night! :wacko:

When I do that sort of thing, like the part shown, I use a ped grinder with a 1/3 hp1740 mtr and a soft 6'' wire wheel and if I catch an edge it's not too bad. 3450rpm motors are wicked. All in all It doesnt matter what you hold it with if you let the workpiece get out of control......... I consider pedistal; grinders, buffers and wire wheels the meanest tool in the shop cause unlike PH's they draw you in when things go south.

I agree with Tim, the shape of the object has a lot to do with if the wheel catches or not. Cup wheels are for flat surfaces, round wheels are for shaped surfaces. Always try to run the wheel OFF the surface, never into the surface.

Another smith that was brushing a 3/8 inch square stock S hook. The wheel grabbed the S hook and once around the wheel and then threw it back at him, catching him between the eyes. On his way to the ground, he hit his head on a solid object. Two head injuries within seconds.

Wire wheels are accidents looking for a place to happen (personal observation). Glad there was no more damage done. Oh yes, put a band-aid on your ego. (grin)

The thing with wire wheels in a grinder is that they don't need to be anywhere near that fast. With angle grinders its great to have a router speed control and turn it down. Doesn't keep you totally safe from the big grab but at least you aren't dealing with all that force. Highly recommended. Glad you are o.k.

Definitely a place where "more power" means "more bleeding". You lose a lot of time in ERs trying to save time with a stronger faster set-up and the cost aspects are even worse.

However I was taught to wire wheel such items holding them flat on a board to prevent the wheel from being able to grab and sling them.

Glad it wasn't worse... but I hate injured fingers/hands makes work after that a pain...until it heals.

I love my wire wheel for cleaning things up,but only smooth things without hooks... clamping odd shaped pieces to a workbench and hitting it with a side grinder equiped with a wire wheel is usually safer (though not always practiced)

We all have had our times.

I have operated lift trucks for some time. New folks are told that the shipping dock is the deep end of the pool. You can't swim, stay away. On the other hand, production and receiving is another matter. Folks unfamiliar, I just tell them that this is salt water and there are SHARKS. 5000lb gas lift trucks at between 9-12 mph. Mostly loaded running backwards. 3 of us to be specific. No accidents because quite simply, everyone is on their toes. Staying out of the way is mostly the key.

Wire wheels are salt water and sharks. Period. Faster the speed, quicker the reaction time. Deadly. For an old fat guy I'm fairly quick. I haven't had a wire wheel or a rock (bench) grinder in my shop for years. I use chemicals to de-scale for a large part.

Thomas, glad you healing with all your appendages. Take heart. You a club member in good standing. I have had times when I was a frequent flyer. Sometimes still, I get a little light in my head that says " you fixin to do something not too smart ". My choice to ignore that light and unfortunately I still do from time to time.

Attached is one of them times. 2nd one kinda looks like a shrimp don't it ? No amputations yet ( that last word means " you eligible too " ).

post-25-0-34812500-1330618781_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-46120200-1330618942_thumb.jpg

I do not have a a driven wire wheel in my shop. I do use a hand held buffer out by the forge area on infrequent times.. it is always used on material clamped in a vise. Drivin wire wheels and buffers are the second most dangerous thing any of us can have in our shops. The number one most dangerous object in our shops is us!

I've got a bench mounted wire wheel/grindstone - it was really cheap and is very low powered-- so much so that if anything gets caught the wheels just stop. At first I thought, what a great safety feature, but it's not really, it's just pathetically low powered, but that works for me!! I am sure the motor will burn out quicker this way, but I prefer my little underpowered thing to those super duper hand snatching ones. Even so, I still often use tongs to hold the work and I use a full face sheid while using it too.

Thomas, I hope your hand heals quick!

oh bad luck thomas :( glad it was not your eyes or something. i was always told in very stern terms to respect these things in workshops, i dont have my own, so i dont use one. we are always at risk, just got to try to keep your wits about you and hope that when concentration slips its not too awful. really glad your ok :)

I only have a 1/3 hp bench grinder w/ wire wheel. That way if something goes wrong, and it often has, the motor stalls out. Still have to wear safety glasses and a face shield due to the wires flying out. I don't want a bigger one for that reason. I worked in a company shop that didn't have guards on their angle grinder and I had a piece clamped in the vise, it caught and threw the grinder at me and tore a slash through my shirts and across my gut. Luckily only enough to tear the skin, not any deeper. Keep those guards on!

I am fond of a 4" cup brush in a 7" vari-speed polisher. Turns slower, and is way more controllable. Not as quick as some ways, but definetly safer.
Harbor freight has the 7" varispeed for about $40 on sale regularly.

I often use vinegar or even citric acid to pickle, follow with a good rinse and the scale can usually be rinsed off.

Thomas: I'm really glad if not surprised you weren't hurt worse. Wire wheels are one of the most dangerous power tools in any shop, buffers coming in a close second. While I'm happy you're only bled out a little and got stitched up, were I close enough I'd come slap some sense into you!

Do you have any idea how lucky you were? That hooked part could've hooked your hand and drug YOU into the wheel, then the wheel could've walked you're arm full length through it till it got to your arm pit and proceeded onto the rest of your body.

I've seen guys who were caught by rotary tooling, once in time to have to help with the body extraction. yeah, it was an earth auger drilling a little ways from us but. . . NO loose clothing or long hair around any rotary tool! Knew a gal who got her hair caught in a drill press, had a fist sized bald scar just above her forehead.

Sorry about the rant but this scares the crap out of me. I'd rather offend someone than lose a friend, I don't have so many I can lose one if I can help it. And YES I'm serious about slapping crap out of you! AND anyone else who pulls this kind of (explicative removed) stunt!

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, slap accepted! and yes I have thanked the LORD for HIS mercy in my stupidity! I have thought about that milli-second a thousand times since and what could have happened. What did happen was the least damage that I could have recieved and I am TOTALLY confident of that fact. I have had PM's sent with suggestions on what to wear the next time I use a wire wheel....and I can honestly say I will NEVER hold a part in my hands to buff it clean. Thankfully it was just stitches that resulted and I don't consider myself "lucky". So again, I accept my slap my friend!

• 1 year later...

Add me to the list of people who have learned this the hard way - yesterday, trying to clean up an s-hook, rushing to finish some gifts.

The wire wheel grabbed it, took it once around, and whanged it off the middle my forehead at about 100 MPH. Had good safety glasses and respirator on, but it was sharpened, and could have been much worse. No stitches, but a big knot, and that shaky feeling that comes from getting bit. Worst part is that a good friend had a similar accident last year and had warned me not to do it that way.

Ow!