I Forge Iron

Another hoard of axes.........

My process differs from what Jim Austen is doing .
I also make up wrapped and forged in edge axes but have been working on mainly punched and drifted eye axes as they are simpler for me to make.probably not a lot quicker though as the all steel construction requires quite a bit of bashing.
My process goes like this .
Cut billet from bar , I use en9 which is equivelent to 1050 . I like this simple steel as it makes a tough axe and takes a good edge and is easy for me to work and HT.
If needed I upset material into the blade area to gain more width.
I sometimes drill guide holes in the billet before punching as this assists with deep punched holes , I have moved away from this now as I like to keep as much thickness as i can in the eye area this then give me room to draw ears If I want.
I used to punch by hand........I am past that now and use a 16tonne press. I have a selection of press punches and a load of hand drifts to get the basic eye shapes be they round, oval, teardrop or D. the axes above are all these types. H13 punches and drifts made from whatever I have around.
I do a lot of the eye enlarging under the power hammer with short or long drifts in .
when I have the eye done 80% I separate the eye and blade area with a triangular hack and then work on drawing out the blade in length and width. I try and do 90%of the shape forging under the power hammer .
Its then a case of working the head over anvil tools to lineup the eye with blade and assure there are no material jumps and everything is smooth.
I then draw my final axe outline on my axe blank and shape on a grinder , on some axe shapes I remove almost no material on some I cut quite a bit away. I am not a forge to final shape merchant, unless it is needed for material placement or the quickest avenue......
I then Ht:- 3 normalisations , Harden and one temper , the blades are then sharpened wire brushed and re tempered, I like the temper colours to come through I like the finish it gives the steel , I then hot wax them and do a final sharpen followed by an edge polish on a leather strop, the blades go out with a robust shaving convex edge.....
I am in the process of tooling up for axes and a lot of what I would do by hand 5 years ago is done under the press or power hammer now . I have a couple of shapes I am standardising so that should speed things up as well.
hope this helps.

when I have the eye done 80% I separate the eye and blade area with a triangular hack and then work on drawing out the blade in length and width..

I know what a "hack" is in the colloquial sense of the word . . .
But i imagine you are talking about some sort of butchering tool? I'd love to know more about this tool and the profile of it.

Beautiful work and very inspirational.

thanks for sharing these.