I Forge Iron

Another hoard of axes.........

• 5 months later...

Very good work!

The diversity of axes is amazing. I especially like the one in the right row second from the botom. It seems to have very harmonic proportions.

However pattern welded steel on the edge (while the rest of the body left forged surface )is, in my opinion, questionable. This part of axe is constantly sharpened (if the axe is used in real life) and any pattern will disappear after
several strokes on grinding stone.

Very good work!

The diversity of axes is amazing. I especially like the one in the right row second from the botom. It seems to have very harmonic proportions.

However pattern welded steel on the edge (while the rest of the body left forged surface )is, in my opinion, questionable. This part of axe is constantly sharpened (if the axe is used in real life) and any pattern will disappear after
several strokes on grinding stone.

looking at the axes, i believe the ones you refer to are pattern welded throughout the whole head, but the edge is the only ground/polished part, therefore the pattern shows more contrast there. have a look at the poll on them, you can see the lines where the layers are distorted in lines.

truly wonderful pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! The bottom right one is my favorite, I just love the lines!

One question though- How do you make the beards on some of them so big? Did you upset the edge area?

yes! I upset and then have a very steep fullering tool on my 1/2 massey to draw out the beard. I tend to lose an inch of the material back into its self (as an average) before I punch or shape the axe.

• 5 months later...