I Forge Iron

Lost My Creative Drive

HWHII

It has been a long hot summer for me. Filled with alot of travel, death and illness.

I went to a AABA Hammer In this weekend to see my friends, seen a great demo by Gorden Willams, and came away with nothing. This concerns me because for the 14 years I have been involed with blacksmithing, I have never felt this way. A good hammer in has always fired me up to get back to the forge.

Has this happened to any of you? What have you done to get over the hump? Or is it true what people say? " Time heals all wounds. Or this too will pass. "

Harold, I too hit a big slump, this summer. We had to move my parents into a nursing home, and make several trips to Ohio to get everything ready to sell. It flat wore me out. When I did have time to forge, it was so stinking hot that I just didn't have it in me to do it. Now that the weather is starting to cool off, I have picked it up again and have started "feeling like forging", again. I think as we get older, we just need a break, occasionally. :)

Sounds like you need to take the notebook and pencil and go for some walks where you want to...maybe the woods, maybe the museum. Whatever ends up in the notebook doesn't matter, writing, drawing, musings, blank pages...

Relax, look around and enjoy yourself. The forge will be there, plan on using it more.

Phil

Sounds like you need to take the notebook and pencil and go for some walks where you want to...maybe the woods, maybe the museum. Whatever ends up in the notebook doesn't matter, writing, drawing, musings, blank pages... Relax, look around and enjoy yourself. The forge will be there, plan on using it more. Phil

This is great advice.

Harold,

You arent alone bud, grief seems to have been issued very liberaly this last year and it does take the wind out of your sails. I lost a good Marine in Afghanistan, my dog and my Dad, in that order. Seemed like an endless beating for the heart and spirit. It has not been pretty. Not to worry though, we resurge and gain back the strength that is lost to grief and all the trials that go with it. You'll get it back dont worry. Try a road trip to a place where you dont know anyone and do something that doesn't matter. Frees the spirt and gets rid of the demons.

Peter

Harold, Sorry to hear about the slump, death, heat and life sometimes get in the way big time of the creative thought process. I would think that most creative personalities have been there a time or two in their lives. Time will heal some of it. However I have found that a sketch book and some lumps of wax help me get in the mood again for making things again. Just rejoice that you are not all gimped up, at least you can still go to the forge and make something if the spirit so moves you in the future. Get some soft brown wax and play with that for a bit while sitting and watching TV or chatting with your mess mates to the pass the time of day.

Hope not forging doesn't last as long as it has for me. Things have piled up on me too, I have tons of ideas, but no drive to actually do them. During the summers daily triple digits, and current work schedule, I feel whooped when I get home, and just want to veg out. Weekends have been spent in Las Vegas so that I can socialize with friends that I do not see during the work week.

Taking a break to deal with life's curve balls is not a bad thing to do. Go fishing, take a road trip, go through old photos, and remember the ones that have left. Over time it does get easier to get back into the earlier routine. Don't worry about not doing any smithing for now. The time to worry is when you stop having any interest in doing anything at all. As long as you are still thinking about smithing, you are OK. It is also OK to do projects in your head instead of the anvil at times. That is what I am doing at the moment, mental projects until I can get my daily drudgery worked out. Part of that plan for me is starting another business.

Anytime you need to chat, just pop on in here.

Thank you all for the great advise and will give it a try.

Yesterday I did find a project to give me a spark. It is called Painted Bra Project. This will be a auction were proceeds will go to breast cancer. I decided to sculpt mine out of 1/8" aluminum perf. At the end of day one and getting a fresh look at it this morning. It is pretty dark and has a steam punk look to it. I guess that is how I feel right now. You see my wife was just diagnosed with breast cancer and will have surgery on Thursday.

Not sure if I will submit it or not but I will finished it.

harold - i feel for you on all levels - all the advice here is so good - its funny how trouble/pain can have both effects on our work, sometimes it inspires, sometimes it numbs... i have many times like you describe, and some times of beautiful life affirming creative freedom, i think thats the nature of the beast - i would say youve got lots going on, if you can put your hand to anything at all it will probably help, but dont beat yourself if you cant manage. for me, if im doing something, ANYTHING it usually helps me. all the very best to your wife and you :)

Harold, I'll be praying for your wife and for you and the coming surgery.. Seems like if it ain't one thing dragging you down it's a half dozen others. Some days it just plain hard to get out of bed ain't it. I think you just got a bit too much on your plate now to be creative so I just wouldn't worry about the creative part and rely on doing the old stand by projects that you have made in the past that sell well. Concentrate on being there to support your wife in her need and let God take care of the rest. Peace on you and your wife. Jerry

Harold, I found out for myself it took time and friends. After 18 years of marriage my wife moved out and told me she wanted a divorce. Kick me you know where and rip my heart out. I've only been blacksmithing for 5 years and had no will at all to even pick up a hammer until this year. Friends of mine got me smithing at one of the county fairs this year and we had a blast. Today and tomorrow I'm demoing for the county 4th graders, Friday will be at Quad State and Saturday got to demo at Fort Meigs and maybe Sunday. Harold I will keep you and your wife in my thoughts and prays and hope it doesn't take you 1 1/2 years like it did me to get back into things. Paul

Harold, sorry to hear about your troubles. Someone once said that the aging process is not for the weak of heart. I find this true in that as we get older it seems that more and more of our friends and relatives get sick, and we have increasing difficulty with life's physical and emotional challenges. I can assure you that you and your wife are in the prayers of many, if not all of us on this forum, and that you are not alone. I am glad to hear that you have people that you love and love you; you are very fortunate in that. .... Best wishes and prayers for you and your loving wife.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been prone to creativity slumps, it's just part of riding the wave called life. What works best for me to bust out, is, take a whole day or four and clean the shop. If i haven't used something in 6 months, it leaves, or goes to the barn. If the daylight hits the work table wrong, move it. I got satellite radio in the shop and some good speakers, access to different music is a great mood lifter. Single malt Scotch is good for getting my creative attitude going, long as I can remember what I did, the next morning

I've been prone to creativity slumps, it's just part of riding the wave called life. What works best for me to bust out, is, take a whole day or four and clean the shop. If i haven't used something in 6 months, it leaves, or goes to the barn. If the daylight hits the work table wrong, move it. I got satellite radio in the shop and some good speakers, access to different music is a great mood lifter. Single malt Scotch is good for getting my creative attitude going, long as I can remember what I did, the next morning

AYE..........

Submit the bra---other folks have gone through the same thing and will appreciate it! I'd mention that you made it while waiting for your wife's surgery.

From a poem of A.E.Housman that has helped me in low times:

Therefore, since the world has still
Much good, but much less good than ill,
And while the sun and moon endure
Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
I'd face it as a wise man would,
And train for ill and not for good.
'Tis true, the stuff I bring for sale
Is not so brisk a brew as ale:
Out of a stem that scored the hand
I wrung it in a weary land.
But take it: if the smack is sour