I Forge Iron

Trenton List

pkrankow

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Israel pre 1948 was governed by Great Britain, there were no American facilities as far as I know,

my guess is that either someone brought it with him from America or it was purchased from a navy sailor from one of the ships that use to pass through our harbours at one time.

If only our anvils could tell their stories.

Maybe it was "Lend lease" to the British, or more than likely it was brought in by someone as TP suggested.  Could have been ordered and shipped over at some point.

I will tell you with absolute certainty- I did not sell any ships anvils, Zippos maybe!

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning everyone! I figured this would be a good spot to make my first post. This is my first anvil and she looks to be a great user! I'm not sure what the previous owner did to the hardy hole but will check that out and make sure it's useable as I have a good bit of hardy tools too

I wouldn't mind cleaning her up a bit more, I saw mention of a vinegar soak and that sounds tempting. I'm not sure I want to buy enough evaporust to soak it in. You can see the number 41 raised on the base under the horn and a symbol next to it. Weight is 202.5 on my scale. Across the front edge of the base I can make out the tops of some numbers- I thought briefly about trying some sandpaper to flatten that with hopes of being able to read it but decided against it for now at least.

I'd appreciate any information and/or advice for cleanup. I'm looking forward to setting her on a suitable stand and moving some steel!

IFd4IuhLRJaGVBdETUinZg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_b8e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b8d.jpeg

TcEx6q3gTgKB5KliDVcbkg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_b82.jpeg

Try the flour trick on the numbers first.  Also it  looks like they tried to sleeve the hardy to make it fit smaller shank tooling.  You may be able to remove the sleeve with a little work.  I have drop in sleeves I use to make my 1.5" hardy holes fit 1" shank tools---pretty much the most common size here in the USA; though Vulcans tend to run smaller IIRC.

My condolences.

My experience is that in the USA the most common size was 1" ( My 91# A&H, my 112# PW and my 134# HB all have 1"  hardy holes---within manufacturing variability (as do the 165# HB and PW).  The 469# Fisher has two 1.5" hardy holes and the bridge anvil has one 1.5" one and the 410# Trenton has one 1.25" IIRC.) But as most of these were hot punched and not broached variability of size, squareness, angle, etc is pretty common. Manufacturers that broached them tend to have better results.

I once had a hardy with a 3/8" stem that went to a Vulcan and I've seen one with a 1/4" stem that went to a machinist vise.

Grant,

Nice anvil...the top plate looks fantastic.

To clean some of the grime off, try a wire wheel. It will remove junk on the anvil without taking metal off. Wear good PPE, as wire stuck in your face and arms sucks, and breathing rust dust is bad.

You can use Boiled Linseed Oil to slow future rust. 

I like to use square tubing and cut down an inch or so on the diagonals and fold the tabs out  so the hardy tooling actually rests on the tabs rather than the fave of the anvil.

For my 1.5" hardy holes I have a double sleeved insert, cut off two of the tabs opposing on each one so it still rests even on the anvil face.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...