I Forge Iron

When is good enough actually good enough?

Have you ever said good enough and quit, give up, or walk away from a project, knowing that you can make it (the project) better?

Please site examples of "The customer will not know or care so GOOD ENOUGH" or "It is not right, I am going to do it over, and eat the time and cost." What were the results of your decision?

When is the extra time and effort not worth the time and effort?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was working on a knife for myself, and I wanted it perfectly flat, had a machinists block to check it with at the time, and I was doing a distal taper. One little section was a little bit lower than the rest. I finally gave up when I realized how much more grinding a I would have to do. So I just through the handle slabs on. Not a big deal. But it could have had more work. No one is gonna notice it though

When I was much younger and just starting out, I did a job that was destined for a lot of public view and which would have been a great "business card" (it was a kneeling rail for a church). I quoted a certain number of hours but went over on the estimate so I quit before I was really satisfied that the job was "done". Although I finished the installation, the end effect was not pleasing to my eye. A couple of years later, I learned it was removed and a wooden kneeler put in its place - so someone else agreed it simply wasn't a very good piece. I'm usually my own worst critic so at that point, I decided a few extra hours spent finishing something to my personal satisfaction was more important than hitting some arbitrary time estimate. That philosophy has served me well since then because many of my customers appreciate attention to detail and would rather wait a while and/or pay a bit more to get what they want.

Depends on what you're making. I absolutely never have that attitude until the bitter end when making a custom knife. However, performance is crucial, and what I consider "good enough" on a knife is beyond anal retentive to most people. Artistic iron work is different.... good enough is a common phrase in my smithy when I'm doing anything other than knives.

When I can't make it any better, that is good enough. As I learn more, that point continues to move and grow. The other side of the coin is knowing when to stop fiddling with it and leave it alone. Many times I try to add in that last little bit and opps ....way past the point of no return.

The joy and frustration is finding the middle ground of "Yah, Now Thats GOOD Enough!"

I do both - some adjustments rate the effort while others don't.

Often I'll pursue the fix to the absolute bitter end because I know it's what needs to be done.

Other times I know it's not going to be a liability to the piece so I won't burn time, energy and resources just to chase ghosts.

Is this a hobby or are you supporting a family? Putting in 100 dollars or work on every $10 job is a great way to see your family on food stamps.

Various types of jobs have various quality levels. Ask a machinist if he always works to a millionth of an inch precision and if not why not?

My guess is that "good enough" would depend on the standard(s) used:
- level of person's skill
- whether it must meet a specific cost, for example few people would want a $100 gold plated and highly decorated tent stake.
- whether it has reached the desired state and appearance
- what the buyer wants it to look like and function
- safety standards
- whether further effort would result in improvement. As a kid I kept trying to hand-plane the edges of boards for a project to get them "perfect" till there was very little wood left
- whether the tool/hammer used is making marks and will continue to do so no matter how long you hammer it.

I use Diver Mike's method. It's good enough when I know it won't fail and my girlfriend says it looks good and can't see what I'm talking about for mistakes. Sometimes that extra adjustment can cost you a whole piece. On the other hand, making a few duplicates is good practice if you have the time.

I don't do any commission or speculative work or sell any of my forge work but I do a lot of renovations on old retail sites in city neighborhoods.

In those jobs good enough is defined by the budget and often the people I'm doing the job for need to adjust their expectations (or the budget). I'm a novice smith and my stuff goes to my wife or heated up and beat into something else.

So I just about always stop at good enough because that's where my client and I agreed to stop. I don't envy a custom bladesmith or any smith is working on a signaure commission; it could be hard to stop.

Excelsior,
Ted

As an electrician I have to meet an electrical code (NEC, state ,local).
That's the minimum standard. That's good enough.

Nec110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

Beyond that is: Better, Best, Excelent etc.

With knives, It's my standard, and that would be the very best I am capable of, if it were to leave my shop.

Good enough, on practice projects.

Nothing's left the shop yet.:o:D:mad::(

Edited by markb

For most things, including blacksmithing, I consider what good enough will be before I start a project. I don't like having to settle for less than what my original goal was, but sometimes that goal wasn't that high to begin with. And sometimes if you keep messing with something, it get worse.