I Forge Iron

What do you do when things slow down?

Glenn

We are "comfortable" when we are working on a project. But what happens when that project is finished and there is nothing else in the pipe? What happens when you have a couple of days, a week, two weeks, or longer and no projects to work on? Of course you are looking for other projects, but what do you do till that project arrives?

Sweeping the shop, putting everything away, take inventory, and then what?

Old house repair, repair of outbuildings, possibly a mile of fencing to fix and fields to mow, building a forge wagon, woodworking, metal working, job, etc, etc, etc. Not enough time in the week to work on everything that needs fixing, let alone the stuff that I want to make.

I once knew what "slow time" was. Distant memory.

If I had the time, I would finish organizing my shop.

If I had nothing else to do, I would start on page one of Sonn's book, "Early American Wrought Iron" and work from page to page making the stuff in it, I guess.

Postscript: I don't take vacations; I take time off from work to catch up some on repairs and stuff.
...............A vacation for me would be to spend a week in a cabin at Touchstone crafts school, in the mountains, doing blacksmithing.
...............Maybe when I hit the lottery. :(

Edited by UnicornForge
Added postscript

It's been slow around here all summer........Of course I'm slow anyway, so it doesn't bother me much.
With september just around the corner (where did the summer go!?) it's actually time to get the wood stoves ready, cut firewood, and dig the potatoes.

I've got orders for Christmas products, but I've got plenty of time to do those.
Actually, I'd like to improve the designs before I start forging them.

I keep trying to learn new things. I've been learning to make and use charcoal exclusively in the forge this summer........fine tuning my skills a little
Learning how to bank the fire and conserve the heat in the forge and keep the radiant heat away from the smith (me).

I've been making some of the speciallty tongs and other tools that I hadn't had time to make properly during busier times.

And if I were to REALLY run out of ideas.........I could look in the IFI archives or gallery for inspiration.

I also have a few of those "I'm gonna fix that one of these days" projects in the back of the shop.

As you can see, I'm easily entertained! :)

Old house repair, repair of outbuildings, possibly a mile of fencing to fix and fields to mow, building a forge wagon, woodworking, metal working, job, etc, etc, etc. Not enough time in the week to work on everything that needs fixing, let alone the stuff that I want to make.

I once knew what "slow time" was. Distant memory.

If I had the time, I would finish organizing my shop.

Kind of sums it up for me. Add finish the third rebuild of my telescope, kick the footy with the kids, walk the dogs, go to the range, etc, etc, etc.

Too many things to do and work keeps getting in the way!!

I have some tools that I'd love to learn how to make for myself.

Curly, that is the comment I wanted.

When things slow down, continue to look for paying projects, but take time to tidy up the shop, put things back where they belong (or make a place for them), take inventory. This is shop maintenance.

Use the remaining time to try something new. Make that pair of tongs, that hammer, two forge welds in a row, or that section of chain. Try that new technique, build that tool you saw somewhere, research how to construct that jig that will save you time later. Dedicate time to figure out how to be more efficient, how to make the hammer do more with each blow.

Spend some dedicated time with the wife (or significant other). Gather (or buy) flowers for the dinner table at home. Unplug the phone and television, light a couple of candles, eat dinner at the dining room table AND USE the good dishes.

Use the time to improve yourself, and enjoy life.

I have yet to have a project. I work my 4-10's and sometimes fridays. I get to spend my down time learning, and practicing what I see and learn about here and at other sites. One day I will hopefully have no time to have down time. As for holidays...... I took this past thurs and coming tues as my 2 weeks holidays. But in this time I am trying things, and working on my new location for my "shop".

The old time farm blacksmith near me would always make ... hitch pins ... when he had spare time. 3/4 round stock, slight tapered point, and an eye loop. He had a bin he tossed them into. When things were slow, he filled that bin. And then they were always ready to buy when a farmer came in for a repair or blade sharpening. It kept him busy during those "slow times", and gave him a constant small income. By the end of summer/fall, the bin was pretty empty.

Mikey

• 3 weeks later...

Keep on doing new works. Create something new, perhaps develop an idea you've been sketching and actually make it. Experiment. Apply and make proposals for competitions, public art commissions, etc. Take your new work and apply for an award with it. I don't know about the USA, but in Ireland and europe in general there is lots of opportunity offered by different art schemes and art/craft councils and so on. Use the free time to develop and grow and try new things

During spring summer and fall, I have plenty to keep me busy around the "Yard" (ten acres, about five of which is grass I cut:o) I never worry about slow time. My shop is not heated so I don't work in it all winter and have plenty of projects to do come spring and the warmer months.

Normally in the winter months I would spend most of my time researching things on the internet and doing inside repairs and projects that are ignored during the warmer times. This winter however is going to be a lot more exciting as I am going to be working with another Blacksmith (in a heated shop) who has been learning on his own. He has built himself a little power hammer and I am going to take the winter to teach him how to make some tools and get the best use out of his hammer.

I have been working at this trade for thirty years and am really looking forward to passing on my knowledge to someone who is not only really enthusiastic but also very talented in his own right. He is more of an artistic Blacksmith where as I am more practical (more of a tool maker) and it will be a good learning opportunity for both of us.:)

Terry

• 2 weeks later...