I Forge Iron

What do you do when things slow down?

Glenn

I work on designs and tooling for multiple projects. Not mass produced items, but at a larger quantity than I normally do. I develope a line of work that I can sell in a catalogue or online instead of all of the custom work. Tooling more than anything. Tongs, mandrels, texturing dies, etc.

• 2 months later...

I try not to get in that position. I spend at least one day a week marketing and selling my work.

Qualify your customers so that you don't spend your time on small inexpensive projects.

Network, Network, Network!

A couple of years ago I was caught up with my orders at that time I started making some Sculpture. It is also a good time to make samples and examples of your work. Then you can increase your cache of items for show and tell when you are making a presentation to a client.

I try and get the shop better organized and uprgade equipment. This has two benefits firstly I will be more efficient when I get busy and secondly, invariably when I have the shop or machinery torn appart rush work starts rolling in.

Things got a little slow last week so I tore the Massey appart I then got a rush pattern to make. I delivered the pattern Monday and thought lets move the small hammer to a new location before I use it to make the center pin for the Massey I started on that and an order of 50 hooks and chisels that get welded on a pipe that I quoted in June finally came in of course it is now a panic rush. Today an order for 2 pair of 40" long tongs came in and a panic rush pattern modification.

So while I would like to finish cleaning and organizing the shop paying work has to come first.

Having something to do is not the problem,getting paid for what is done is getting to be a problem. one of the large accts just went to 120 day pay. They always pay just getting slower. Have one bay full of completed work i wont release w/o final payment from a number of people,that have a wonderfull collection of hard luck stories and excuses.
Lee

I'm almost completely a hobbyist, and this time of year leading up to Christmas, I can't find enough time to make all the gifts! I've got many shop organizing and upgrading projects that will simply have to wait till next year! I've got one paying -smithing -job, which covers the cost of coal, but I don't have time for that, either!

My problem is that I’m almost entirely fed up with my day job, and would love to start smithing full-time; I guess I better stick it out for a while, though.

Edited by GOATMAN
clarification

Same here. Too much of my energy gets put into my day job (working on cars etc), but that pays the bills. We have a 9.5 acre block of land, covered in pines, gorse, and native bush, so thats where a lot of my spare time goes. When theres a slow day at work and I can afford to, I get home a light the forge. Practice practice practice.
Jason