I Forge Iron

What size anvil do you use?

What size anvil do you use most often?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What size anvil do you use most often?

• 0 - 49 pounds
    • 50 - 99 pounds
    • 100 - 149 pounds
    • 150 - 199 pounds
    • 200 - 249 pounds
    • 250 - 299 pounds
    • 300 - 349 pounds
    • 350 - 399 pounds
    • 400 or more pounds

Bruce, I'm sure the O'dwyer anvils are made from SG iron. O'dwyer's make mention of that on their website. However, I'm not sure what rockwell hardness figure they are tempered to. If someone knows, perhaps they could post some info about it here? That would be much appreciated.
Regards, Brian.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 years later...

From what i heard somewhere SG iron is the same as ductile cast iron, is it not? I have a 44lb Odwyer (i couldnt afford much at the time). The ring is great, just like cast steel, but the face is quite soft. The rebound is great though, if you dropped a small ball peen on it, it ll bounce right back up. TFS anvils in the states are cast from ductile iron, and according to their site, are hardened to 52 Rockwell. so maybe Odwyer doesn't harden their anvils, because the farriers like them soft.

Sledging on a cold morning was how a friend of mine broke his---I have what once was about a 150# anvil missing the heel. I also have the base of a 100+ pound PW missing the top half. As the old ones were forge welded up out of chunks of WI iffy welds can cause issues after only 100 years or two...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

125 lb Cliff Carrol from Larkspur, Colorado.

Drove out and picked it up right there at Cliff's shop - one of the nicest guys I have ever met and dealt with.

Big enough to handle what I do, which is not all that much but works great for me.

A 125 is nice to travel with and easy enough to horse around at the demos I like to do.  Also looks like the majority of us use an anvil in that range.

My other anvil - the one in my photo - is my Grandpa's farm anvil, unknown make and about 147 lbs....pretty beat up but still more years left in her than I'll probably have on this earth.....;)  And besides, it's Grandpa's...from the farm....and you just can't beat that!

Dean

I only have one anvil. My grandad's old one. It's some london pattern weighing about 66kg with the heal broken off so whatever it was before that. Maybe 75kg at a guess?

I think it was misuse by uncles a few years before I got it. Unfortunate, but it is still here and in coming years I want to repair it in my grandad's memory as well as for the project (for me, at my level, that would be a huge endeavour). The hope is I will have a larger normal anvil at this point so I can keep it as a working heirloom of a sort (no heavy work but small stuff to stay close to the spirit such tools are bought in).

So yeah, grand dads and anvils haha.

I use a 300 lb FISHER in my shop.  I find it heavy and big enough for what I do.  I can use anything from the museum, and that would be anvils from 1/2 lb to 1000 lbs.  Just happy with what I have in place.  It was actually my first big(over 150 lb) Fisher anvil that I acquired, and one of the cheapest I ever bought (under $0.60/lb.)

I use my 242 lb Rhino the most.  I have a newer, to me, Henry Wright that is 60 lbs. and its been getting good use to.  Someone took a grinder to it and did mess up the face some but it has good usable surface and that's what I use.  I'm very happy to have both anvils and the larger one is my main go to work piece.

125 lb. soderfors.  from an old horse ranch outside salinas, about $1.75/lb. 

michael, your anvil is a treat to work on.

You lucky dog. Does it have the model name cast on the side? My 125lb. Soderfors is a "Sorceress #5".

Frosty The Lucky.