I Forge Iron

My 100 ton fly press

Screwpress screws are generally multiple lead and so for a 3 or 4 lead screw that pitch is not too strange.

To stop you use a stop block the height you want.

Screwpresses are famous for their pressure spikes when the ram bottoms out and the system reverses---makes them great for coining as that spike "squirts" the metal into the die cavities.

I've used a powered screwpress, very nice and keep EVERYTHING clear of the dies save the workpiece!

Heck of a piece of equipment!

If you'll click "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific.

Frosty

Wicked. If things are moving so fast, how do you stop the machine where you want to?

Speed IS relative, you know. Hammers run at 30 feet pers second AND UP. 3 FPS is quite easy to work with. The flywheel at the top of the screw has a leather belt around the outside edge. The two vertical wheels run on a common shaft driven by the motor. Drive is imparted by moving the shaft and it's two wheels from right to left so that one wheel contacts the leather. Quite sensitive and controlable, I can hit a very light blow or one xxxx of a stomp.

There was a motor driven screw press for sale a while ago on Ebay.
It was rated at 6000 metric tons with a 26'' diameter screw. It was in some shipyard in Baltimore.

You could probably use it to forge the frame of one of those little 100 ton presses if you had the right dies.

A friend of mine used to work at a place that made medals, and they had a few of these presses about twice the height of yours. I stood and watched as the guy punched medals with it, and it was very impressive.

I would just not allow anyone to work with one of those without very good safety measures and a healthy dose of cowardice.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, very nice press!
Would you be able to do the '1-inch-square-bar-5-hit-squash' forging test as mentioned in a 'power hammer' section thread?

Also I couldn't help but notice what looks like an air upsetter under the window in the photo ; ) I'm sure everyone would love to hear about it and what it can do.

regards
Andrew O'Connor

Edited by AndrewOC
forgot stuff

You know, my old Nazel 4-B (500lb) would have probably taken three blows to do the same.

Fe-Wood: There ARE devices that improve safety, but nothing comes close to attitude. Some people look at a machine and say it looks scary. Well, in all honesty, no machine scares me near as much as some people!

Ah-men brother!!!
Typically, machines are stupid/simple in that they only do what they are told and they don't anticipate anything. All failures aside- Case in point, CNC machines, one of the few machines that can and will eat itself.

Be safe-

Well said Grant.

One of the things Father said till I was sick of hearing it was, "You have to respect 'It' but you can't fear it." IT being whatever machine, tool or thing in front of you.

He also liked to say, "Familiarity breeds contempt."

I'm with you, machinery doesn't scare me, people do. Not all people, all the time but . . .

Frosty

its no more dangerous than a big power hammer...but its all dangerous in the hands of a idiot... nice tool! i got a chance to use a 50 ton at a friends house (Terrys) and found it to be a wonderful way of squishing metal ..great for makeing dies ! have fun

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...