I Forge Iron

My 100 ton fly press

Whassat, blacksmith math? $1.00 + $100.00 = $200.00?

This may explain my accounting irregularities over the years.

Grant what are the functional differences between the style of press you have and the style without the large rotating disks? It seems that the "weingarten" brand has a different drive mechanism.

Ric

post-13206-12678894114223_thumb.jpg

Not familiar with that. Got a picture?

Here is a photo of a 500 ton off a machinery sales site:

I am not all too sure how the drive works...it may be the screw shaft is attached to the motor or the screw shaft IS the motor shaft with the motor being the large cylinder on the top. Maybe.

Ric

Say...looks like I can make a quick $200 here.

Grant,
I just completed a new bottom swage for the Nazel 3B and gave her a test. It surely is not as carefree as I imagine a large friction press would be as it bounces a bit with the repeated blows, but it chewed the 8" section down on the 7 1/2" long die in short order.
One heat easy with heat to spare and it is about 1/4 thick more or less with a good spread...think large leaf.
BUT
it is still work of a sort as I did move it a bit to keep it even and under the dies. I'd like it to see how the job could be done under a screw press.

I have no idea if the 100 ton is the ticket or something larger....again..I have nothing to judge it by as my 48 ton hydraulic is slow and the 3B is a different action.
I imagine it is close though.

Ric

Ric I really dont follow exactly what it is you want to do... but I think I might have to tool to do it B) I have a 210 ton Willams White forging press... it only has 12" of stroke but it will make a full 12" stroke and return in just over 10 seconds. One thing is unlike a friction press there is no stored energy being imparted by the "strike" so it wont do the work of a 200 ton friction press, but it will do very controlled forging of large material. 4118935964_381fe7b269_o.jpg

Ric I really dont follow exactly what it is you want to do... but I think I might have to tool to do it B) I have a 210 ton Willams White forging press... it only has 12" of stroke but it will make a full 12" stroke and return in just over 10 seconds. One thing is unlike a friction press there is no stored energy being imparted by the "strike" so it wont do the work of a 200 ton friction press, but it will do very controlled forging of large material. 4118935964_381fe7b269_o.jpg

I can see a use for that as well....just did something this afternoon which would have gone faster with that.

What amount of power does it use?
Will it impart full tonnage at 1" and 12"?

Have any photos of what you do with it or maybe a video?
I'd like to see it working.

RIc

I can see a use for that as well....just did something this afternoon which would have gone faster with that.

What amount of power does it use?
Will it impart full tonnage at 1" and 12"?

Have any photos of what you do with it or maybe a video?
I'd like to see it working.

RIc

Its a 15hp system with an exotic oil gear two stage pump.. And yes it will provide full tonnage anyplace in the stroke..

I'll make a short movie of a "major upset" and try and get it posted....

• 5 years later...

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised at the difference it'll make. I assume you're with Birson so you won't be able to market your products without making the arrangements with the forum admins. Still, it's good for everybody to have someone who deals with serious metal working machinery professionally.

Personally I just like seeing so much power under such fine control. It's a joy to see.

Frosty The Lucky.