I Forge Iron

My 100 ton fly press

Ah-men brother!!!
Typically, machines are stupid/simple in that they only do what they are told and they don't anticipate anything. All failures aside- Case in point, CNC machines, one of the few machines that can and will eat itself.

Be safe-

ya but on the same token cnc machines just do what they are told.They are as good as the programer programing them

"I have two of these presses in my shop and I would like to place them in a good home with a fair price. One is a 100ton and one is an 80ton I think. Do you know any one that might be looking for one?"

Depends on the price and the LOCATION, neither which was posted...Some people are always looking for this sort of thing---armourers, coiners, some ornamental iron folk, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You know, my old Nazel 4-B (500lb) would have probably taken three blows to do the same.

Fe-Wood: There ARE devices that improve safety, but nothing comes close to attitude. Some people look at a machine and say it looks scary. Well, in all honesty, no machine scares me near as much as some people!

Actually my 3B Nazel took three blows to do that Grant..had to run the test...

Grant can I ask a favor?
What does your press do to 8" of 1.5" round mild steel in one heat? Simply downward pressure with no interest in controlling the spread..all natural.
My 3B Nazel can flatten it to about 1/4" plate 4" wide in the center in 40 blows .... so about 10-12 seconds from a high heat.
I do not have access to a friction press, but would not mind one if it can do the work....to know that I need some tests run to see how large a press I should be looking for.

Ric

Actually my 3B Nazel took three blows to do that Grant..had to run the test...

Grant can I ask a favor?
What does your press do to 8" of 1.5" round mild steel in one heat? Simply downward pressure with no interest in controlling the spread..all natural.
My 3B Nazel can flatten it to about 1/4" plate 4" wide in the center in 40 blows .... so about 10-12 seconds from a high heat.
I do not have access to a friction press, but would not mind one if it can do the work....to know that I need some tests run to see how large a press I should be looking for.

Ric

Ric

I've a couple of manual flypresses (Norton #5 and #6) and it constantly impresses me what I can do with them. When I move out of my matchbox of a workshop and if I ever find a "moderately" sized friction screw press in the UK I'd buy it on principle, something about the way they work does it for me. Also I like the fact they dont need swimming pool sized blocks of concrete for foundations (I think). I've bought a few tools/machines in the past without an immediate use, but when I did find a use they've paid for them selves many time over.

As an aside, I dont know if you guys have "bar flypresses" over there. See photo of my #5. It's got no base as such, just a hole in the body that you can push a stout bar through (75 x 75mm for mine). It's incredibly useful when working on hoops or other shapes when the base gets in the way.

post-11205-12671305788126_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the conversion of effort expended to work produced is quite amazing, really. Using a 3/8" top and bottom fuller in the anvil you can wail the daylights out of a 3/4 square bar with a hand hammer and put a goodly dent in it. Go the fly press and you can chop right through the bar in a few pulls.

I'm with you 100% there - if it looks useful, buy it and find out what it'll do. I'll buy anything that looks like it'll push, pull, squeeze or pound.

That style of press is often called a "horn press" here.

I'm with you 100% there - if it looks useful, buy it and find out what it'll do. I'll buy anything that looks like it'll push, pull, squeeze or pound.

Yeah, when you need "it" in a hurry, you'll probably pay a lot more for said "it", if indeed you can find "it" in time to complete the job said "it" is needed for, elsewise you'll end end doing the job a lot slower and really wish you'd the foresight to realise how cheap "it" was at the time. Always assuming you've the space to store it. Me? sadly I've not a square mm going spare anymore.

Couple of case in points. Recently picked up a beast of a Ward-Forsyth 30Tonne electro-hydraulic C framed press, 300mm of stroke, something like 350mm from centre of ram to frame ..... wait for it ..... £300 of Ebay!!!!!!! Come the time I use it in anger it'll pay for itself in a couple of hours.

Other is example is; I'd always got by with a home brewed Kinyon when about 4 years ago John N started selling 40kg (88lb in scroats, furlongs, widgets and bushells) Anyangs for £3000. To me that just seemed stupidly cheap given the amount of metal it could move in a day. Bought it, love it, would buy another (maybe one of his 15kg or 75kg's) if I had the space. The 40kg's now sell for £5800. To my way of thinking, that is still value for money when the cost is spread over a few years, and the potential work that can be done by one over those years is considered.

Whilst I'm rambling about the money side, I kinda think it's very revealing that this forum has 100's and 100's of thread about hammers, anvils, hand cranked blowers, ye olde worlde offeth blacksmithes, etc etc etc etc. It's got 6 topics on the business side of blacksmithing. Yeah I know, loads of you guys and gals are hobbiests ..... creative, passionate and dedicated at that, but come on, 6 topics for ****s sake !!!!! Business isn't a dirty word. If you don't understand the business side of your business, chances are you wont earn enough money to buy those wonderful toys we also so covet. An induction heater in my case, they look like money printing machines to me.

So endeth the lecture for today.

Yeah, the conversion of effort expended to work produced is quite amazing, really.

Sure is! I also find the feel given when feathering a "blow" is so useful. Some other good uses are "rolling" rings, helixes even. I'll try and dig out a photo of useful jig I made for this pre getting some rollers. Another good use is raising bowls, vesssels etc. ..... yeah, you heard that right; raising .... raising, where the metal is shrunk and thickened. No, not sinking where it thins the metal. In essence I use a ball ended tool to force the metal into a shallow bowl swage ....no ....we're still not talking sinking here. The trick is to let the metal crease up as it's forced into the bowl. then go over the creases with the ball to press out the creases whilst the metal is constained by the bowl ..... voila! raising, raising as with a hammer and T stake but on a flypress with much less effort using much heavier section steel. Hell, your elbows sure will thank you one day.

bowls flypressed from 6mm plate

post-11205-12671436903346_thumb.jpg

post-11205-12671446203969_thumb.jpg

- if it looks useful, buy it and find out what it'll do.

...whilst the verbiage is upon me, another example is I saw a brand new Dessoutter pneumatic tapper on ebay. It was mistakenly desribed as a "air drill". I got it for about £20. I'd no need of it at the time but it bought because to me Desoutter are the dogs danglers of air tools. It sat on shelf for a year...... but as I write ..... I'm mid way through a job that involves tapping 400 M6 holes through 8mm steel plate. EVERYTIME I squeeze the trigger I give my self a mental pat on the back for getting it when I did. Really is a swwwwwweeeeet tool.

Grant, sorry about highjacking this thread, it's friction screw presses all the way from now.

You'll have to make your own guess from the example I showed. A piece of 1-1/2" round X 8 flattened to 1/4 X 4 would come out about 16" long. So you must be feeding it in and out, right?

I am not explaining it correctly...
If you laid the round bar down under the dies working the 8" length just like your sample, but 8" in not just 2"..how thin could your press make the bar? No moving the billet, just push after push with the bar in one place.

Ric

I am not explaining it correctly...
If you laid the round bar down under the dies working the 8" length just like your sample, but 8" in not just 2"..how thin could your press make the bar? No moving the billet, just push after push with the bar in one place.

Ric

I'll post a video this week on youtube for what I am looking to do and maybe that will help with the tonnage estimates.

Ric

Ric; have you tried high explosives? Simply marvelous things you can do with plastique! (a lot of explosive art is on the campus here since EMRTC is a part of the campus).

OTOH since I was the one who floated a plastic eyeball in the quench tank when Ric was demoing one Quad-State; perhaps I shouldn't encourge him to visit down here and play with "energetic materials"...

Ric; have you tried high explosives? Simply marvelous things you can do with plastique! (a lot of explosive art is on the campus here since EMRTC is a part of the campus).

OTOH since I was the one who floated a plastic eyeball in the quench tank when Ric was demoing one Quad-State; perhaps I shouldn't encourge him to visit down here and play with "energetic materials"...

I still look closely at my quench thanks for some reason Thomas....hoping they are looking back at me.....I wish the video taken that weekend had worked out..apparently the camera recorded nothing.

I have a Phd electrical engineer down the street and he and I sat down to crunch the numbers on a capacitor discharge coil larger enough to weld 4" cube billets of layered materials...it came out to about the size of three of my shops and rather costly.
There is a stone quarry two miles from me and I have thought about having them do some sheet metal forming for me in the pond they have on site...I may see if they are interested this Summer. I'd like to see 3/4 plate made to look like a Jiffy Pop.

HOWEVER,
I am still trying to see how much push various sized friction presses have and what size I would need for the work I wish to do. So if anyone has a lead on a larger press or knows someone with a good sized unit who is willing to talk to me..I will listen.

Ric

I'd pay $100 not to!

Say...looks like I can make a quick $200 here.

Grant,
I just completed a new bottom swage for the Nazel 3B and gave her a test. It surely is not as carefree as I imagine a large friction press would be as it bounces a bit with the repeated blows, but it chewed the 8" section down on the 7 1/2" long die in short order.
One heat easy with heat to spare and it is about 1/4 thick more or less with a good spread...think large leaf.
BUT
it is still work of a sort as I did move it a bit to keep it even and under the dies. I'd like it to see how the job could be done under a screw press.

I have no idea if the 100 ton is the ticket or something larger....again..I have nothing to judge it by as my 48 ton hydraulic is slow and the 3B is a different action.
I imagine it is close though.

Ric