I Forge Iron

borax not just for flux

triw

Though you guys might get a kick out of an artical I cam across for other uses of borax.

Borax

When added to a laundry wash, borax makes detergents even more effective. It's also "quite alkaline, so it kills mold and fungus and softens water," says Robert Wolke, Ph.D., author of What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained (W. W. Norton & Company, $16, amazon.com).
Price: About $5 for 4 pounds at supermarkets.

Use It to Clean Your

I thought Boric Acid killed cockroaches?

The roach killer I have in my shop is 99.8% boric acid by label. I don't know if any of the other borates are killers or not.

There is a wood preservative formulation developed by the government that uses borates but I've never looked up the formulation.

There's a product called 'RoachProof' which is 99% boric acid. It does kill roaches.
I've never heard of using 20 Mule Team Borax to kill roaches.
I'm betting there's a considerable chemical difference between the two.

Yes, they are very different chemically. It is H3BO3
Borax has the chemical formulas listed in earlier threads.

• 4 weeks later...

Borax is Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate, generally, there are a few other versions that are for high end chemistry and have differeing amounts of hydrates (water)... also anhydrous borax,, Sodium Tetraborate, no hydrate.

Love the stuff.... does many things, cleans my dirty hands, dirty laundry, dirty bathroom, dirty welds.... love it!!

I believe the Boric Acid kills roaches by dehydrating them. Roaches need moisture; the boric acid absorbs it and the roaches just dry up. Other roaches eat them and they dry up too. Of course, now you have the bodies of dessicated roaches all over the place.

I believe the Boric Acid kills roaches by dehydrating them. Roaches need moisture; the boric acid absorbs it and the roaches just dry up. Other roaches eat them and they dry up too. Of course, now you have the bodies of dessicated roaches all over the place.

I have a 8oz jar of "roach powder" ( marketed as roach powder" that is marked 99.8% boric acid:D

Roach proof is great. 98 % pure boric acid, 2%inert ingredients. It don't seem to effect the welds what ever that 2% is. But when I go and l buy more large containers, People gotta wonder about my roaches LOL (no, I dont have any that I have seen)

• 1 month later...

20 Mule Team is just like what Frosty said, a great fire retardant. When I was on the pipe crew the weldors would soak their denim shirts in Borax water. Don't iron or throw it in the dryer. Soak it, wring it, drip dry. Makes a decent welding jacket. Wrinkled, but fire retardant.
Now days the green cloth welding jackets are cheaper than denim shirts, but the borax works on them also.

• 3 months later...

Dust of any kind can be fatal to bugs, borax works better than most types though. Researchers were surprised to find that vacuuming is a VERY effective way to kill fleas... sucks them up and the dust in the bag does em in (some people vacuum their pets). Works for roaches too but you gotta be fast to get em in there before they run away!!

• 2 weeks later...