I Forge Iron

borax not just for flux

triw

I learned it is a herbicide, and in weak concentrations takes out "creeping charlie" without harming turf. Look it up for the concentration, but it is a very weak mix.

In a stronger mix it burns out everything and nothing grows there EVER! don't ask.
Phil

A guy I used to work with would put muriatic acid in a hose end sprayer and do his whole yard with it. The grass(Bermuda), weeds would are die and turn brown but in about three weeks he would have the best looking lawn on the block and weed free. Our soil is extremely alkaline so the acid would neutralize it somewhat for awhile and then the Bermuda would bounce back like crazy. :blink:
Our old house had flood irrigation, open a gate in the ditch behind the house in the alley, and you would get water for forty-five minuets, and bugs running for dry ground. I would put boric acid(roach powder) all around the foundation of the house every two weeks during irrigation season. The bugs would run up to the b.a. and then run back into the water, would not cross the boric acid for anything. I never found that b.a. killed the grass for long around the foundation but then I haven't found much that does Bermuda in for long. ;)

My latest AA formula is 50% borax and 50% diatomaceous earth. So far I like it even better than the borax alone, seems deadlier in smaller doses. Oh, AA is for anti-ant. I just brush it into the cracks along the window sill where they like to climb into my kitchen. White Death!

• 9 months later...

20 mule team..... Lol I grew up in an old mining town by the name of trona in California, they mine borax among other minerals and is where the 20 mule team was based out of, in fact the local hardwear store used the mule team barn to store their lumber! Agh what a small world it is!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought Boric Acid killed cockroaches?

I don't know about cockroaches, but I got rid of a very bad infestation of carpenter ants in a house, by drilling a few holes in the walls and pumping in some boric acid. Within several days they were gone. And those were some kind of super ants, too, because a pesticide contractor had put so much ant poison around that house that the women who lived there and her dog got very sick.

I believe the Boric Acid kills roaches by dehydrating them. Roaches need moisture; the boric acid absorbs it and the roaches just dry up. Other roaches eat them and they dry up too. Of course, now you have the bodies of dessicated roaches all over the place.

on the can it tells you the roaches have aNeg charge and the boric acid has a pos charge it clogs up their air vents the suffocate