I Forge Iron

Cross your fingers for me.

It's funny how things work out sometimes. I lost my mother last December and though my Sis and I were in no real hurry we've been processing things like insurance policies and such. Well, a small inheritance from one of Mother's insurance policies came last Tuesday.

Yesterday at the local club meeting one of the guys told me there was a 50#LG for sale about 150 miles from here so I looked at it on Craigslist and called this morning. I got off the phone about an hour ago and will be driving down with my trailer Wednesday. I was acquainted with the current owner's father, meaning I talked to him a few times passing through and know how well he took care of his equipment. If there's nothing seriously wrong with it I'll be bringing it home with me.

So, $4k is a pretty darned decent price depending on condition of course and the heck of it is I can actually afford the thing as of last Tuesday.

Cool eh?

So, cross your fingers for me guys, these things are darned hard to find here.

Frosty

13463.attach

13464.attach

Edited by Frosty

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about your mother. Congrats on finding the hammer, That is one fine piece of equipment:D:D:D I hope all goes well and you can set up that bad boy w/o much delay. Id love to go help you haul it in but plane tickets and money in general are stoping me:rolleyes:

Thanks all, knowing I was able to get this would put a smile on Mother's face. Deb and I were thinking of using it to buy a newer pickup truck but this came up. I virtually NEVER see a power hammer for sale here, they all go word of mouth and most all are in need of a rebuild. Maybe I've been a good boy after all.

Thomas, it was rebuilt two years ago though not a complete overhaul. It got new babbit and everything adjusted and aligned. Virgil said it didn't need a lot when they did it but he makes knives and needed it to be tight and smooth. He's owned it for about 15 years I think and puts about 10 hrs +/- a week on it. So it's not overused but not sitting idle either.

It's still set up, so I can take it for a spin when I get there and it'll be plug and play when I get it set up here. Virgil actually apologized about it being covered in oil. ;)

Now all I need to do is get my trailer unloaded, pulled out of the fresh spring mud, check the wiring and try not to go nuts till Wednesday morning.

Frosty

Covered with oil is a GOOD sign! Sid and Keri say that you should lub it once every hour if you are using it for long periods of time. I use 30w and bar/chian oil mix for mine and grease at the grease ports. The bar/chain oil keeps the oil from slinging off. 'course you already knew all that...sorry. patience my boy, Wednesday will come...oh yeah, you are already nuts!;)

Yeah, I knew oily was a good sign, I just thought it was amusing Virgil was apologizing for it. He seemed relieved when I told him if it were clean and dry I'd be concerned.

I like to put a couple Tbsp/gl. of Duralube in my oil cans. I do the same for my bar oil and I discovered the chain doesn't heat up enough to need retightening after running a while.

Oh yeah, I don't know if I want to go to all the work of cleaning it up enough to paint it my shop colors. If I could haul it standing up I might run it through a car wash but it's coming laying on it's side on my trailer and the next time I stand it up will be on it's new base. Maybe I'll make it a green and gold mumu or something. ;)

Frosty

good for ya frosty! power hammers in your neck of the woods must be scarce ... and hauling anything that big from the lower 48 has got to cost bigtime! 50 lb lg is a good hammer is it setup with a brake? if not you can make one without too much trouble and it does help.. cant wait for pictures ! injoy

Well Frosty, I guess the mumu would work, as long as it is tailored to fit.:P Maybe you could get some of that sparkly gold material like they use for tuxedo accessories.;)

And don't forget, we all wanna see some pictures chronicling the move and setup. Some Frosty in action pics!:D

Pictures of me in "action" require time lapse photography. ;) I'll shoot a few (dozen) of course.

I'll have to take a look at brakes, I'm sure this one doesn't have one on it. A brake will increase it's utility for me for sure. I sincerely prefer my machinery to stop when I want it to and not coast.

Frosty

Congrats Frosty,I know what a special treat ANY powerhammer up here is and believe me it is not cheap bringing them up to Alaska. I moved up here 8 years ago, no less to an Island off the coast of Alaska, and I shipped up my two #50 LG's. Wish I could get over to help you out as I've moved mine more than once. Digging out the 3ft deep foundations for them both on this rock was no fun, I know others will tell you It's not neccessary, but Ive found it extremly nice not having to worry about a hard working hammer walking around on you while forging. Rebuilding can be fun, but is time consuming. I only know one Virgil over there and if it's him I can imagine the hammer was taken good care of. Can't wait to see pic's. By the way, sorry to hear about your mom. Wes

It's Virgil Campbell's in Moose Pass. I met his Father a couple decades ago and used to stop by when passing through. I was always impressed with how he kept his equipment and expect his son to follow suit.

It's a little late to dig a "proper" foundation but I poured the slab in the general vicinity of where I wanted a hammer 8" thick with doubled #5 rebar. I want to raise the hammer several inches too, heck, as short as I am I'm still quite a bit taller than the guys it was built for. I know of a couple of these that have been working on timbers for years without damaging the floor. A little silicone caulking should provide enough sticktion to keep it where it Put it. If not I'll bolt it down, I might anyway when I get it where I finally want it.

This one is 1,800lbs and will move easily enough with a little care and patience. Virgil can load for me and I don't plan on tipping it off my trailer till I'm ready to spot it where it goes.

A side benefit to this is I'll have to finally get the overhead door working. I got the opening closed off last summer then had to go in for another surgery on my elbow and the door is still sitting full weight closed. It needs some middlin tweaking before I can wind the springs.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

i actually had mine sitting on a 3ft x4ft steel plate on bare dirt! but it did move (plate and all) about a ft a year... on its last move i poured a 6 in pad for it .. it liket that better but still had to bolt it down ... Figure your going to have to bolt it to the pad frosty.as far as the brake goes ive seen um and they apear to be fairly simple just a band that goes over part of the flywheel kinda like the old driveline brakes ... have fun