I Forge Iron

Cross your fingers for me.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a 90lb Bull a friend of mine owns and was kind enough to let me use.

Oh yeah, this change is one I've been looking for for a couple decades now.

I hope a prayer isn't necessary, Virgil's taken it off the market so unless there's a deal killer problem with it I'm bringing it home. Weather could be a problem in the passes but I've been doing this kind of thing for a long time.

Come to think about it I'm excited enough I might do myself a mischief if I'm not careful so maybe a prayer for calm might indeed be in order. :D

Frosty

Congrat's Frosty! I know how excited you are, I got antsy when I got my basket case hammer in the shop, and got antsy again as fire-up time got near. I didn't know anything about smithing when I poured the shop floor, so I don't have any extra foundation other than the standard 5-1/2 inch slab. I anticipated it would crack my floor all over, so I used an abrasive blade in the skilsaw and cut a approximately 2 inch deep cut around the timbers the hammer sits on. I figured if the floor failed, maybe it would act like drywall and break at the scored line, saving the rest of the floor. 6 or 7 years later, all is still well. Let us know how the install goes..

I can strongly recommend purchasing that book thats out there on the Little Giant Powerhammer. It has just about everything you will ever need to know about the hammer, including repair and rebuild. Sid is a major component in the book and you can even give him the serial # on the side of the hammer body and he will have a record of when it was made and who it was shipped to when It was new. If you ever pour a foundation the only thing I could mention is to pour the corners curved if possible rather than square to avoid the cracks that will tend to appear as they did in mine. Wes

Do you know the name of the book Wes? I'll get a copy for sure.

Oh yeah, there'll be pics all right. I'm ready for the road except for a trailer light adapter for the Saturn and a full tank of gas. you gotta know I'm excited, I'm ready to go a full day early! :)

Frosty

The name of the book is "The Little Giant Powerhammer"--rebuilding, history, and use, by Richard R. Kern. Most any book store should be able to order it for you, we even have one on the shelf in our local library. Figure that one out! I don't honestly think half a handfull of people on this Island have ever heard of one much less seen one, but as usual life is always surprising me. Wes

If your not able to locate one let me know and I'll send mine to you, and I believe Centaur Forge carries it as well.

Edited by viking-sword

Good luck Frosty, every cloud has a silver lining, your Mother would be happy to know you were going to get something to make your life easier and more fulfilled. Hope it all goes OK. I have been looking for a hammer for years and I am still looking. As Henry Ford said, "If you need a tool, Buy it, because soon you will find you have paid for it, and you still don't have it".

The name of the book is "The Little Giant Powerhammer"--rebuilding, history, and use, by Richard R. Kern. Most any book store should be able to order it for you, we even have one on the shelf in our local library. Figure that one out! I don't honestly think half a handfull of people on this Island have ever heard of one much less seen one, but as usual life is always surprising me. Wes

If your not able to locate one let me know and I'll send mine to you, and I believe Centaur Forge carries it as well.

I got mine off of Amazon.com IIRC I paid $20.00 for it but that was in '05 so I may be off some...yeah I'm off but I maybe mistaking about the price of the book. There are a few things that they (Sid & Co.) have found to differ from the book but over all an excellent book. My only complaint is the quality of the pictures...poor at best for most of them. And I'm a pretty visual guy so I really wanted better pics. :(

Hope you sleep tonight! Kinda like Christmas ain't it!:)

Thanks Wes, I'll be checking Amazon, etc. soonest. Maybe get the library to "borrow" a copy for me.

Don't worry Thomas, I don't care if you're a little off. Heck, everybody I hang with is. ;)

Thanks David, Mother understood tools and never had a problem getting something to make life easier. I think she'd be happy about this. Goodness knows I didn't DARE say I wanted something in the last few years or she'd buy it for me. I think one of the signs of a good parent is their sense that they could've done more for the kids. I was double lucky on that account.

This hammer if it pans out will let me do things I only WANTED to do before. Even working 1/2" by hand is slow enough to not be very economical. For instance I'm finally finished (except for waiting to get my oxy reg back from the shop) a forged table. I had it laid out, material cut and had to wait a good week to be able to hook up with a friend who owns a power hammer to do the drawing and hit it with the rope dies. (My Avatar pic)

With one sitting in the shop I would've been finished weeks earlier, I wouldn't've had to calculate the change in length I could've just given it a try and measured it. So, oh yeah, this is going to be a MAJOR improvement to my capacity not to mention enjoyment. :D

Frosty

Oh yeah, I have the safety gear checklist made out including retro-reflective vests. (the ones road workers wear) Just because it's hitting 50 here doesn't mean it'll be nice in Turnagain Pass or Moose Pass where the hammer is. Weather reports say it will be though so I'm doubling down on the cold and wet snivvle gear. ;)

I've been driving these roads professionally for more than 30 years and don't take chances I don't have to. Deb'll be coming along as nav-aid and keeper awaker.

The trailer's been greased, aired up and lights checked. Dunnage is loaded, hammer and nails, cargo straps, the 6" ones you see on semis are loaded, several ratchet straps are on board as are two cable come alongs. I also have a tarp, duct tape (which alone is enough to secure a mere 1,800lb hammer ;) ) poly line and bungees. Once aboard and secured she ain't leaving the trailer till I say so.

I'm aiming for a 7:00am departure from here to avoid the worse of rush hour traffic and an easy cruise should get us there by 11:00 or so. An hour to check it out maybe two including loading and securing it and an easy cruise back home. Should put us here around 5:00pm. If it looks like later we may lay over till the worst of rush hour is passed.

I called my guys at road maint and they say the road is in good condition, occasional wet spots turning to ice over night in the passes but we'll be going through late enough they'll be wet again. I'll give them another call tomorrow morning just before we hit the road for an update.

We're about as covered on it as reasonably possible but not going to take any chances even though it's an easy trip and load.

Frosty

Frosty,

I found your post and I think I'm darn near as excited as you are! I don't post as much as I read, but I know you've talked about the difficulty of finding a power hammer in your neck of the woods for a long time! Sounds like a great machine and you're taking care to prepare for this trip the right way so I'm sure things will go smoothly for you.

How are you planning on off loading once you get it home? Did you build any type of overhead crane or hoisting spot into your shop?

Best of luck tomorrow, it'll be a day your remember fondly for a long, long time. Have fun and keep us posted with updates (and pictures!)!

David

Frosty... you are going to love this hammer. A Little Giant 50 was my first power hammer... and I still use it. I have mine sitting on 6" of reinforced concrete and there is no problem with the foundation. I also built a "safety cage" just in case. When I get back from CBA and BAM, I'll try to send you some pictures. Enjoy your new hammer and be safe.
James

Thanks again guys, I'm about to hit the hay and doing a last check of the day.

I hope this doesn't sound conceited but it's "only" 1,800 lbs, it'll go where I want with a pinch bar. I don't plan on taking it off my trailer till I get the pad built for it, I'll be raising it at least 4". Anyway, I'll ease it off the back of the trailer and tip it up, then position it on the pad. Then screw it to the timbers. The pad will bolt right to a gozinta so it can't walk around.

Thanks Thomas, I'll do a search when I get home, well . . . maybe the next day. ;)

I keep hearing a 6" slab is plenty, then of course there those who say less than 30" won't do at all. When I did my slab I made the area where the power hammer was going 8" and doubled up the #5 rebar. I also cement stabilized and over compacted the base under it. Then I'm putting it on a timber base to get it to a more comfortable height so I feel confident it'll be okay.

A guard will be one of the first things I put on it, then maybe a brake but definitely a guard first. I just hate having pieces of spring dug out of my face.

Night all.

Pics and story tomorrow.

Frosty

cool..all i did to move mine was use a bunch of 3/4" rod and stuck it under the base and rolled her accross the shop.... then use a pile of wood plank's to raise it 1/4 " at a time till it was the height of the base... and used the same rods to roller over the mounting bolts... then with a large wrecking bar slowly jacked up and pulled out plank by plank till it was safely down.... oh and i slinged up the top half to the roof beams with a come along... just so the top would be kept straight up and down... didn't want it to tetter back n forth..

i poured my base... but i wanted something that would cut the vibes down as i live right next to a neighbour.. but i know several people without.. just timbers... even one thats so lucy goosy on wood that it rocks back n forth like a craddle... ( just bizarre )

man.. i'm excited for you... this is great

Greg

Ever wonder why they're called Trip hammers if nobody ever takes them for a trip?

Well, Deb has the pics of me checking it out, loading, securing, etc. in Moose Pass and I'll send a few along when she sends them to me.

The first two are at a pull out at Ingram Creek at the bottom of Turnagain Pass at the head of Turnagain Arm.

The last two are home in front of the shop.

All went smooth as warm butter. Except for one annoying 20 min stop for construction, (less than 3 miles from the hammer!) we made excellent time on the way down. Virgil plugged it in and I beat on a little plywood, then watched the works as Virgil beat on the plywood. Everything is nice and tight though there is a little looseness in the link arms, not much though.

Loading and securing it took maybe 20 mins and we were back on the road in about an hour or so. We made it through Anchorage just before rush hour traffic got going so we didn't have many idiots dodging around us or tailgating.

All in all it was more like a pleasant cruise on a sunny warm day than a freight haul.

About the only things really I think need doing are:

A guard in front of the spring.

A brake.

A larger pully on the motor to get the BPM up where it should be.

A bath and coat of paint. Though I might want to use it more than I want it shop colors. :rolleyes:

All in all I'm in a pretty darned good mood. :D

Frosty

13578.attach

13579.attach

13580.attach

13581.attach

Proud papa of a new powerhammer! Congrats Frosty! now do yourself a favor and take a piece of cardboard or plywood and get a good tracing of the footprint of the machine including bolt holes, for when you go to prep your new base. Of course you know all this, I'm just so excited for you it takes me back to when I got each of mine, it gets my mind rolling on all the steps for preparing it to stand, and I start thinking out loud. SLOW IT DOWN WES! Guess you'll go to sleep with a smile on yer face tonight:D

Nice score ! Don't forget to make an accurate template of the base and bolt layout on a piece of plywood while you've got it laying on its side.

I've never run a 50# LG ,but I've got a 25# and 100# old style hammers with the wrap around guides.

I use way oil on the top bearings ,pins, toggles, guides and linkages. I use grease on the crank bearing ,main clutch bearing and the treadle pivot. I use 50/50 30wt/diesel on the clutch surfaces. The clutch likes to be kept wet . A sheet metal guard is handy to keep oil from being flung across the walls and ceiling of the shop [and anything or anyone else nearby ]

I have a big FAT grin on my mug alright. I just tarped it over for the night, might rain and I don't want water in the motor, the rest has enough oil on it to be fine under water for a while.

A little scenery is why I stopped at Ingram Cr. it's one of the prettiest views on the drive. Where you can pull over that is.

I'll be making the base template soon, maybe tomorrow. I need to concentrate on getting the over head door functioning, I'd really like it inside soon. Well. . . Yeah, running too. :rolleyes:

I see I'm going to need a couple more oil cans. Another thing for my list tomorrow is find the Little Giant book so I know all the nooks and crannies needing lube. AND a splash guard.

Anybody have a good design for a brake?

And a few more pics from Moose Pass. The long gray bearded guy is John, he's the one who tipped me to the hammer last Saturday. He was there for an auction a couple miles down the road and came away with a really nice cone mandrel among other things.

I figured I'd show how NOT to wear ear muffs. Fortunately wood isn't too loud when you're beating it to kindling.

I'm off to bed, I'm beat. It's a good beat but I'm still beat. ;)

Frosty

13583.attach

13584.attach

13585.attach

13586.attach