I Forge Iron

Begginer Projects

The first beginner project to help you learn the basics is to read the stickies in the section your interested in learning about. Then read the topics in that section that relate to your questions.

Then read the remainder of that section. You should reread the section again in a couple of weeks or a month. You will have been exposed to and hopefully learned a lot and by rereading you will now better understand what you missed the first time through,

Finally move on to another section, read the stickies and so on.

The search engine is your friend. It will search the entire site for the key words you enter. The better your key words, the better the results. Learning to use the search engine properly can be a pain, until you figure it out. Then it is your best friend.

Edited by Glenn

Jeez way to jump down the throat of the new guy. 

Hello Forging Carver, welcome to the forum. We're usually a much more friendly bunch. If you check your profile settings and add in your general location you might find a few IFI folks live nearby. 

As has been pointed out, if rather bluntly; we get a lot of these kind of questions on here quite regularly. Like most forums IFI has a search function that will bring up 99% of the questions you can think of. Or indeed if you spend a little time on google you will find that a lot of times it will take you to threads on this site. 

What at equipment do you have so far? What do you aspire to making?  Generally speaking we suggest new guys start small, nails and such like. I prefer to suggest that you make your fire tools first, so a poker, a rake and a shovel. 

Google image search for "forged fire rake" you'll bring up pictures that will give you ideas of where to start. Forging one of these involved many of the processes you will need further down the line. 

I'd also suggest you buy a few books if you can afford to. - "backyard blacksmith" by Lorelei Simms (I think) and "master ring the fundamentals of blacksmithing" by Mark Aspery. 

Most importantly, have fun and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. If you feel uncomfortable asking the  forum at large, just send me a private message and I'll do my best. 

Andy

Oh I have been misspelling beginer. My fault.

Thanks so much guys

Most importantly, have fun and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. If you feel uncomfortable asking the  forum at large, just send me a private message and I'll do my best. 

Andy

Thanks so much. Seems like I can always trust you.

Thanks

Don't sweat spelling some of us think it's only a theoretical concept anyway. I've also had auto correct misspell things because it THINKS I meant something else. Heck, I have auto correct turned off and it still gets through if I'm not careful.

Anyway, sorry we jumped on you, we get going too enthusiastically sometimes. We're more interested in getting you well and thoroughly addicted to the craft than making you jump through hoops or sucking up. We've just answered the same questions so many times we get carried away.

Do a little reading, get a handle on what you want to do when you learn the craft and we'll be in your corner.  No fooling we will.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Fault shmault, it's just part of the learning curve. A person who willingly tries to advance themselves on their own will find more help than they can use here. Some folk just expect us to tell them how without making an effort and get testy if we don't. We sometimes over react.

So what the hey, we're all human. Well, except the extra terrestrials mining us for our blacksmithing tech and DNA. We REALLY react to probing questions, you betcha! :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't know how many times he posted this questions, a  search for " beginners projects"  has 240 pages of information so far, guess this will be 241 now.

Sorry if this offended but a copy and paste of >>  beginners projects  << into the search bar would have got there.

I have trouble with English English not being the same as American English.

Sounds silly, but sometimes googling what you want and then hitting Iforgeiron works better than the native search engine. Love me my iforgeiron, but google's more forgiving on spelling.

Also, small stuff like hooks, practice points, leafs, tongs and other tools. Punches, chisels, drifts, bending forks. All stuff you'll want anyways, and will teach you a lot about how metal moves. Try to make something and repeat it, or variations on it. Making a one off is easy. Making multiple things the same is very, very hard.